• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody ever deal with......?

49 posts in this topic

Well this is an entirely different matter as you paid for something you never received. Nail his 893censored-thumb.gif to the wall, especially if you paid for insurance, he didn't insure it and the package was lost. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I can't believe those other insufficiently_thoughtful_persons either, I'm sorry but if I paid for insurance and the package arrived without, I'd want my $1 refunded through PayPal pref. just out of principle.

HERE is a thread that you may find interesting... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh I remember that thread and I stand by what I said there, cough up the $1.30 cause he paid for something he didn't receive, I mean it doesnt get much more cut and dried than that. makepoint.gif

Well, besides the fact that shipping comics via Media Mail is ILLEGAL

No it isn't. As Robreact pointed out, as long as the advertising has expired, media mail is fine for comic books. As far as the regular whininig sessions that go on about shipping on this board. The guy had expilicitly stated his shipping charges, if you don't like it DON'T bid. You chose to bid, quit whining about it. He is not trying to rip you off. If the auction didn't state shipping charges and after you won he tried to charge $6 for media mail, that would be a rip.

Well, here then is something that REALLY torques me off - people ADDING insurance WITHOUT asking me if its OK to do so. People, repeat after me:

INSURANCE IS NOT NEEDED...NOT NEEDED...NOT NEEDED...NOT NEEDED

If you pack properly, you don't need it. I can see it on very expensive books, but for your everyday, run of the mill book its an unnecessary expense you're donating to the USPS.

No it isn't. As Robreact pointed out, as long as the advertising has expired, media mail is fine for comic books.

Where do you see that in the guidelines for Media Mail on the USPS web site? It isn't there as far as I can see. But even if you're right, I wouldn't depend on a $10 an hour worker to realize there's a distinction between current and old advertising.

Parcel Post cost almost exactly the same as media mail--it's less than 10 cents more last time I looked--and allows you to ship items which contain advertising.

The problem with UPS also is, from my understanding, even if you insure a parcel (which one would expect that the addressee should have to sign for), a parcel can be "released" by the driver at his discretion!

What's the bottom line on that? If a driver rings your doorbell and you're not home, he can opt to leave the parcel at your doorstep without a signature!

The areas or regions that a driver can do that is designated by UPS as "driver release areas" and are based on crime-rate statistics. Low crime rate area: Driver can leave it at the door if he can't be bothered to try for a hand delivery/signature delivery again.

What's the bottom line on that? If a driver rings your doorbell and you're not home, he can opt to leave the parcel at your doorstep without a signature!

Yeah; this sounds familar. I've had several postmen who leave Insured packages at my doorstep, in plain view of everybody walking by. Once it happened on a $2,000 item and I was really torqued. My current post-guy is super nice though, and we have an understanding that all parcels go back to the post office for pick up.

No it isn't. As Robreact pointed out, as long as the advertising has expired, media mail is fine for comic books.

Where do you see that in the guidelines for Media Mail on the USPS web site? It isn't there as far as I can see. But even if you're right, I wouldn't depend on a $10 an hour worker to realize there's a distinction between current and old advertising.

Parcel Post cost almost exactly the same as media mail--it's less than 10 cents more last time I looked--and allows you to ship items which contain advertising.

Well I have never heard anything about advertisement limitations with media mail packages. In fact I am willing to bet most postal clerks have no clue about this either. I have shipped over 5,000 packages in the past three years by media mail all of them comics and not once did I get any real resistance from a postal clerk or even postal manager. There is a page that says "Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books" and as far as I am concerned the advertising in comics is incidental. Media Mail page

Wow you must get some serious hookups FF on Parcel Post shipping it was never 10 cents off from Media Mail. Are you talking about Bulk Printed Matter BPM mailing? Parcel Post is usually only 10 cents less than Priority mail until you get into the 15 plus pound packages. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Media mail is a great service to use but just expect the unexpected at times. Example a package from Ontario, Ca to Reno NV a 8 hour drive with traffic 6 hours on a good day took 42 days.... 893whatthe.gif

...and oftentimes I pay the extra $$ and it arrives UNINSURED. A few times I've asked what the deal was, and I've gotten pretty much every answer in the book: my mistake, did you indicate it in your payment?, my neighbor's son ships for me and must have kept the $$ and I'm sure going to have a hard talk with him, my business insurance would cover any claims (would they?), my wife mailed it and didn't know, etc. And I've never gotten a penny back. What do you guys think about that?...

I understand some sellers decide to charge for "non-postal insurance" yet at the same price/rates as USPS insurance - that's a load of BS. However when you say uninsured, double check to see if the $1.30 has been added to the postage meter. The procedure is you ask to have something insured for $50.00 or under, they just add the $1.30 to the postage meter and stamp it all over with an "INSURED" rubber stamp. Sometimes it doesn't show b/c ink is low or the stamp rubs off the glossy surface of most boxes, etc... If you are insuring for $50.01 or higher value, then you receive a blue label similar in size to the greel delivery confirmation label - and indicates it has been insured.

All in all, I would expect the postal insurance there if I was charged for it and a refund if they "forgot".

Well I have never heard anything about advertisement limitations with media mail packages. In fact I am willing to bet most postal clerks have no clue about this either. I have shipped over 5,000 packages in the past three years by media mail all of them comics and not once did I get any real resistance from a postal clerk or even postal manager.

I agree, I bet most postal clerks don't know it either. What scares me are the ones with a little bit of knowledge...the ones that read the regulations but don't think them through and act inappropriately upon them. Somebody--I think Lighthouse--posted a thread a while back documenting his experience with a postal clerk who had ripped his Media Mail package open and either damaged or discarded the contents due to the advertising content! 893whatthe.gif

There is a page that says "Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books" and as far as I am concerned the advertising in comics is incidental. Media Mail page

When I read the regulations I got the feeling they were specifically trying to not let magazine subscriptions be delivered via Media Mail, but I could be wrong. That's a huge part of what they mail, and I figured comic books were similar enough to magazines to fall into the same category.

Wow you must get some serious hookups FF on Parcel Post shipping it was never 10 cents off from Media Mail. Are you talking about Bulk Printed Matter BPM mailing? Parcel Post is usually only 10 cents less than Priority mail until you get into the 15 plus pound packages. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yea I think I meant Bound Printed Matter. I can't remember, I barely ship stuff yet, I'm just trying to get it all straight based upon the numerous chats about the topic I've heard here on the forums. I much prefer to GET comics, not to GIVE comics. cloud9.gif

Shipping comics via media mail is illegal. The advertising isn't expired, regardless of how old the books are, because Wheaties are still Wheaties, whether you see it in ad from 1943 or 2003, and Coke is still Coke, etc. Granted, many of the ads have expired -- just try to buy sea monkeys -- but there are always some products that are current.

However, BPM (bound printed matter) is perfectly legal and is the shipping you should be using on comics if you want an inexpensive rate. Perfectly legal, and the cost is generally just a bit more than media mail.

-- Joanna

Wait a minute...let me see if I have this right....basically what your saying Joanna...assuming I read your post correctly...correct me if I am wrong...your saying you can't buy sea monkeys nowadays?...what happened to the money I sent off?

hmmm... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Shipping comics via media mail is illegal. The advertising isn't expired, regardless of how old the books are, because Wheaties are still Wheaties, whether you see it in ad from 1943 or 2003, and Coke is still Coke, etc. Granted, many of the ads have expired -- just try to buy sea monkeys -- but there are always some products that are current.

However, BPM (bound printed matter) is perfectly legal and is the shipping you should be using on comics if you want an inexpensive rate. Perfectly legal, and the cost is generally just a bit more than media mail.

-- Joanna

Illegal!!!!!

Well I hope the postal police or the head postal manager doesn't catch me...Wait they are the ones letting me mail them this way. I guess we are...

Breaking The Law, Breaking The Law, Breaking The Law, Breaking The Law

tongue.gif

. Granted, many of the ads have expired -- just try to buy sea monkeys --

-- Joanna

Oh come on...haven't you heard about the Sea Monkeys renaissance...

web page

You can even get them in a watch now....wow 893whatthe.gif

aquawatch.jpg

-- Joanna

When I received my last CGC submission back there was a "letter" included informing me on packaging and mailing procedures. I'm assuming they didn't like the way that I packaged my books. In any case it said something along the lines of "don't discount media mail as an option when shipping books to us. the ads on most comic books have expired and therefore are eligible for media mail" I'm not quoting this word for word because I don't have the letter in front of me but that's pretty close to what it said. I'm making an assumption that CGC did their research and knew what they are talking about. Obviously a Coke is still a Coke but perhaps printed ads have an automatic expiration regardless if the product they are advertising is still being produced. Or maybe the CGC folks just pulled that out of their arse, I don't know, just passing along what info I have and it's source.

Upon further thought I believe I have to reject this argument...why...because I have pulps from the early 20's and I have to believe that it would be perfectly legal to send via media mail even though Uniroyals and Goodyear tires are still being made... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Upon further thought I believe I have to reject this argument...why...because I have pulps from the early 20's and I have to believe that it would be perfectly legal to send via media mail even though Uniroyals and Goodyear tires are still being made... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You fokkers will take advantage of the system regardless. Like any of you are going to change your ways IF it is determined that it is illegal! sumo.gif

Ok..Mr. I-think-I-will-send-my-books-to-myself-to-avoid-duty-fees... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Not my fault fed-ex didn't charge me the fees! 27_laughing.gif