• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planet of the Apes: awesome movie...tragically flawed...

56 posts in this topic

...the original Planet of the Apes is on tonight on the history channel,...I think it's the first time I've seen it since I saw it in the theater as a wee-tyke,...but it's just got too many holes in it to enjoy it as an adult,....Charlton Heston goes through the whole movie under the impression that he is on an alien planet in another solar system when in fact he is back on earth in the distant future,...being an astronaut wouldn't he recognize certain celestial bodies such as,..oh I don't know,..perhaps the frickin moon?.... confused-smiley-013.gif

"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!! It's PEOPLLLLLLE.." ooops! Wrong flick...I like the POTA ending though when he discovers the statue of Liberty buried on the beach...and Roddy McDowell was classic...And why did it seem like there was only 1 orangutan on the whole Planet(Dr Cornelius)?

"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!! It's PEOPLLLLLLE.." ooops! Wrong flick...I like the POTA ending though when he discovers the statue of Liberty buried on the beach...and Roddy McDowell was classic...And why did it seem like there was only 1 orangutan on the whole Planet(Dr Cornelius)?

Roddy Mcdowell was so awesome cloud9.gif I love his voice, so articulate and charming in every movie cloud9.gif

...the original Planet of the Apes is on tonight on the history channel,...I think it's the first time I've seen it since I saw it in the theater as a wee-tyke,...but it's just got too many holes in it to enjoy it as an adult,....Charlton Heston goes through the whole movie under the impression that he is on an alien planet in another solar system when in fact he is back on earth in the distant future,...being an astronaut wouldn't he recognize certain celestial bodies such as,..oh I don't know,..perhaps the frickin moon?.... confused-smiley-013.gif

I saw it tonight on the History channel, too. (Even though I own the DVD box set of the 5 movies, go figure). I think I was just flabbergasted that it was on the History channel, of all things.

As for the moon thing. Taylor (Heston) mentions to the others early in the movie that there's no moon. I guess in the 2000+ plus years since the present day, it was destroyed somehow.

The one goofy plot point (to me) that you have to turn your brain off for, is that Taylor spends the whole movie thinking he's on a planet billions of miles from earth, and yet, all these apes are speaking PERFECT ENGLISH. You'd think such a thing would make Taylor go "Hmmmmm...."

The one goofy plot point (to me) that you have to turn your brain off for, is that Taylor spends the whole movie thinking he's on a planet billions of miles from earth, and yet, all these apes are speaking PERFECT ENGLISH. You'd think such a thing would make Taylor go "Hmmmmm...."

That's a flaw most all alien speaking movies have had since the movie business started. Anyone guess how exciting the movie would have been if the apes couldn't quickly communicate? It's bad enough Nova was mute. Can't fault the movie for using it as well...

Jim

I've got a soft spot in my heart for the original too. I prefer it to the remake. I remember being shocked when the human roundup occurs, with the apes on horses. Great moment.

Roddy McDowell seems like he was a really nice guy; I wish I could have met him.

I remember hearing on a documentary about POTA that the girl who played Nova was dating one of the studio bigwigs, which is how she got the part. Not that she needed help; she had a non-speaking role and just had to stand around looking FREAKING GORGEOUS, which she certainly did.

Speaking Apes would throw anyone for a loop. If I woke up and was locked up with a bunch of Apes running things I wouldn't think "hey there is a moon and they are speaking english....christ I must be on earth in the future where Apes have learned to speak and have taking over the world". Yes there is a few holes in the plot but its an old movie with Apes taking over the world, IMO it is all flawed but I still love it. Its a great old flick.

That's a flaw most all alien speaking movies have had since the movie business started. Anyone guess how exciting the movie would have been if the apes couldn't quickly communicate? It's bad enough Nova was mute. Can't fault the movie for using it as well...

Jim

I thought the PERFECT ENGLISH was a plot device intended to make the audience think the movie WASN'T set in the U.S., hence the extreme surprise with the Statue of Liberty at the end....., stooges.gif

I think the movie is classic and it was based on a book which was written long before the space program so there are possibly things he left out because he didn't know. Oh and every planet has a moon except mercury and pluto so your moon theory doesn't work because all moons could look alike. Now the apes speaking english is a thing that can't be over looked but as discussed previously that flaw is in most movies where there are supposed to be non english speaking participants

This movie was great--one of the cornerstones of my childhood. I remember just gasping at the sight of the SoL. Pretty much the only thing that scared me more in that entire series, was in Beneath...., when they ripped of those freakin' masks to show their mutated faces.

And Nova--wow.

I actually re-watched the original last year, and I thought it held up very well.

This movie was great--one of the cornerstones of my childhood.

I saw the movie at around age 10, and had recurring nightmares for about five years thereafter. It was definitely a cornerstone of sorts, and definitely a scar....,

We lived in the woods in Oregon, and it was around the same time as Bigfoot hysteria - siege-style dreams alternating between Bigfoot invasion and Planet of the Apes invasion, and sometimes they worked together to attack our house..., Yikes!!!

I saw it tonight on the History channel, too. (Even though I own the DVD box set of the 5 movies, go figure). I think I was just flabbergasted that it was on the History channel, of all things.

As for the moon thing. Taylor (Heston) mentions to the others early in the movie that there's no moon. I guess in the 2000+ plus years since the present day, it was destroyed somehow.

I saw it too, enjoyed it but was wondering about its placement on the History channel. Also, wouldn't Taylor recognize other planets, constellations, etc from the night sky though? And how come the rest of humanity look like disheveled cavemen and Nova is so hot?(On second thought, who cares?)

Who would win in an overacting face off: Taylor on his knees at the SOL or Heston's Solyent Green portrayal? Discuss.