• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planet of the Apes: awesome movie...tragically flawed...

56 posts in this topic

Be sure to watch "Beneath the Planet of the Apes"...Jame Farrentino(sp?) was an excellant addition to the cast...

Aside from the obvious flaws it was a pretty good flick and the end wasn't really a big surprise yet the effect an emotion was done rather well...IMHO.... wink.gif

This movie was great--one of the cornerstones of my childhood. I remember just gasping at the sight of the SoL. Pretty much the only thing that scared me more in that entire series, was in Beneath...., when they ripped of those freakin' masks to show their mutated faces.

And Nova--wow.

I actually re-watched the original last year, and I thought it held up very well.

yeah, i would say she's kind of pretty.

1622898-1044955_03.jpg

1622898-1044955_03.jpg.23d2e4f340a02f3328c104f759ce9f32.jpg

I think there is some mention of not being able to see the moon (or even the sun) clearly in the movie; some comment about the atmosphere...

The only hole is the English speaking apes...just one of those things in movies or literature you have to suspend disbelief about...

The movie is still a classic, with one of the greatest endings of all time. thumbsup2.gif

(btw..whoever brought it up..Cornelius is a chimpanzee; Dr. Zauis (sic) was the orangutan....)

This movie was great--one of the cornerstones of my childhood. I remember just gasping at the sight of the SoL. Pretty much the only thing that scared me more in that entire series, was in Beneath...., when they ripped of those freakin' masks to show their mutated faces.

And Nova--wow.

I actually re-watched the original last year, and I thought it held up very well.

yeah, i would say she's kind of pretty.

1622898-1044955_03.jpg

hail.gifhail.gif Which movie is that from?

I think there is some mention of not being able to see the moon (or even the sun) clearly in the movie; some comment about the atmosphere...

The only hole is the English speaking apes...just one of those things in movies or literature you have to suspend disbelief about...

The movie is still a classic, with one of the greatest endings of all time. thumbsup2.gif

(btw..whoever brought it up..Cornelius is a chimpanzee; Dr. Zauis (sic) was the orangutan....)

If only they had spoken French..., then it would have been way more believable.

Classic movie, fun to watch. As far as holes in the film, any sci-fi movie with time travel elements, are full of holes. Heston mad three of my favorite sci-fi films from that time period.

The Omega Man

Soylent Green

Planet of the Apes

Two other non Heston films from that period that I love:

A Boy and his Dog

Rollerbal

Nova is the ideal woman, now isn't she?

If only they had spoken French..., then it would have been way more believable.

They did in the original novel.

Yep, Pierre Boulle's Monkey Planet...

In the 70s during the school holidays a cinema near me showed all five films as part of a "season". Unfortunately they showed them in the wrong order....the first one I saw was Escape.

So the shock ending in the first film was a damp squib for me because of that.

Great films, though. I remember also enjoying the T.V. series a lot back in the day, but when they finally reran it many years later I realized how much easier it is to entertain kids.... on second viewing I thought it was terrible - badly scripted, poorly acted, hardly any plots.

Classic movie, fun to watch. As far as holes in the film, any sci-fi movie with time travel elements, are full of holes. Heston mad three of my favorite sci-fi films from that time period.

The Omega Man

Soylent Green

Planet of the Apes

Two other non Heston films from that period that I love:

A Boy and his Dog

Rollerbal

Nova is the ideal woman, now isn't she?

I was thinking of The Omega Man too, while I was reading this thread. Dated, but in a wonderful 70's kinda' way. Lots of fun to watch!

omega1ke2.jpg

...I must have missed that part when I was outside lighting one up,..my monkey wanted to see the flick too,...

...I must have missed that part when I was outside lighting one up,..my monkey wanted to see the flick too,...

My monkey was always into my stash too....., emot-350.gif

Yeah.

Nuclear War causing Nuclear Winter before the term was used in the general public. The sky was dark and Sun/Moon/Star light was being blocked.

893blahblah.gif

This movie was great--one of the cornerstones of my childhood.

I saw the movie at around age 10, and had recurring nightmares for about five years thereafter. It was definitely a cornerstone of sorts, and definitely a scar....,

We lived in the woods in Oregon, and it was around the same time as Bigfoot hysteria - siege-style dreams alternating between Bigfoot invasion and Planet of the Apes invasion, and sometimes they worked together to attack our house..., Yikes!!!

I was very, very young around that time, young enough that the ads for the original Legend of Boggy Creek movie scared me and made me think an ape-thing was going to come into the suburbs and attack me. Bigfoot was made kid-friendly within a few years thanks to the 6 million $ man and Bigfoot and Wildboy.