• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions On E-Bay Transaction

27 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I usually do not post much on here (99% of the time just "staying in the background" reading and learning from everyone’s thoughts, ideas, and all), but I have always though highly of a huge majority of the posters on these boards and their opinions.

The reason for this writing may not be very important at all, but none the less, I would like to learn more and get anyone's feedback on a recent transaction I have had on e-bay.

The auction in question is an Amazing Spider-Man #88:

Amazing Spider-Man #88

The actual scan of the comic clearly shows writing on the cover just under the "Spider-Man" logo in bright red ink on the front cover.

Yet in an email received about a week ago, the buyer states in a rather nasty manner ( reason for being nasty in my response) that he was disappointed in the fact that I did not "disclose" that there was writing on the cover and that he didn't think that the comic was in the "Very Good range". Right or wrong, I wrote him back stating that the Overstreet Grading Guide (2003 Edition - 2nd Edition) has an example of a comic rated at Very Good on page 256 (Adventure Comics #59) with a penned name (almost) conveniently located in the same area. No response after a week, and I left feedback in batches at the end of that week.

The next day, I received the negative feedback from the guy who felt I was "obligated" to disclose this information, and further stated that I was deceptive.

For what it's worth, I have a very good reputation on ebay and from my site, and work very hard for it, like I am sure many others do. My main question is this: Should I have STILL disclosed this information, that was both clearly visible in the scan, and indicative of the grade given. To be more clear on the grade, the "+" in the VG+ was given for the reason that the ASM #88 has none of the other major defects that the Adventure #59 has other than the writing.

I am trying not to "B a & Moan" about the feedback received. I more than realize that it is part of the process, but I am not gonna bend over backward (regardless of my eBay rating), unless I a responsible for the failure of the transaction. With well over 20,000 transaction on eBay and my website over the years, I have NEVER had someone question a defect that is 聥asily visible in a scan.

I am willing to accept the fact that I am wrong in this case, and will accept responsibility for it. I would just like to hear what anyone has to say, and I would then further learn from it.

Thank You for reading that long mess (if anyone has gotten this far),

Eric

Spider-ManInfo

I think the name on the cover was fairly evident in the scan. Perhaps he didn't review it very carefully. The duty in this case, as I see it, was on him. If he complained about the name on cover, I would have directed him to the scan. If he said he missed it and wanted a refund, I would have given him one.

I typically point out stuff like that in auctions, just to avoid confusion. He was wrong to leave a neg, based on your account of the story. Did you offer him a refund or price negotiation?

Buyer is out of line and probably just mad that he was too blind to see what was clearly visible. If a buyer isn't going to look at a scan closely, why would he look at a description closely?

Just write it off as a picky buyer and move on. You didn't do anything wrong and writing is DEFINITELY allowable in VG+.

I would have disclosed the defect in the description. You are correct in that it basically goes with the grade, however, there are just too many wackos on eBay that are looking for a fight - especially seems to be bad with the newbies with unrealistic expectations. And...., that sorta looks like it fits the case.

I am always amazed when I see, say a book advertised as NM on eBay, with a minimum bid of VF OSPG, and photo that clearly shows a 5 inch crease across the front cover....., abd yet, there you go, 2-5 bidders! I think there are many who don't look closely at scans, or the stuff blends in the background, or the bidder is color blind, or???

So...., I would always recommend MORE than full disclosure, so that these *spoon* have less to complain about.

I don;t see anything deceiving in how you listed your auction.

The writing is clearly visible in the scan. If you had gone into some depth regarding the condition of the comic, but failed to mention the writing, I could see a buyer having some reason to complain. However, you just listed a grade and a scan so I think you are safe.

I suppose that some would argue that it's better to just list the obvious flaws, but I think a scan is enough.

Hey there... I agree, your posting appears crystal-clear. Seems like a nice book either way, even with the writing (eh, the red pen seems to match the color-scheme of the cover anyway). Besides for only $9.50, your buyer shouldn't have anything to complain about. Too bad about the NEG, I might consider a Re-NEG for your trouble and then post a follow-up on my own FB to better explain the situation.

I tend to think that buyers will still rely on your 99.9% positive FB... thumbsup2.gif

I don;t see anything deceiving in how you listed your auction.

The writing is clearly visible in the scan. If you had gone into some depth regarding the condition of the comic, but failed to mention the writing, I could see a buyer having some reason to complain. However, you just listed a grade and a scan so I think you are safe.

I suppose that some would argue that it's better to just list the obvious flaws, but I think a scan is enough.

I agree with Trevor. One thing; when you respond to a negative on your feedback, I would not let your emotion show in the response on Ebay.

I certainly understand how you feel, just remember that when people view feedback they judge the person by how they respond. I find just stating the facts rather than showing emotion makes you look better. That goes for buyer, and seller.

I am curious too if the buyer asked for a refund, and how you responded. Nothing more than curiosity.

The buyer over-reacted. A neg would have been well deserved if the scan had no signature on it. So, you were not misrepresenting the comic.

All you could have done was offer him a refund, and only to keep him happy because he didn't notice the signature on it. I admit I'm a bit quick to hand out negs to sellers, especially if the books are mis-represented and only because most people don't...going through the hassle of repackaging the book, waiting for a refund et all. I don't have the patience for it and would rather let the e-bay community know the sellers lack of grading skills.

But, even here...if I bought the comic and didn't notice the sig...I would have just kept it and given you the positive. I am thinking expecting someone to show the comic as you did AND mentioning the signature could be a little much, but I am thinking the next time you list a comic like this you'll put this experience to good use and mention it in the description.

You were totally above board on this. The scan clearly showed it, it's obvious you weren't trying to hide anything. Give him a negative back, since it's clear he doesn't play fair. These type of things are unfortunate to say the least, which is why a lot of sellers don't leave feedback until the buyer has and I don't blame them. I once sold a book on ebay graded as a vg...it was about that. After I was paid I left a positive feedback. A few weeks later I recieved an email from the seller who said he collected only fines and wanted to return it and hoped I wouldnt force him to leave a negative.What he was doing, because the book was pretty sharp and I always undergrade, was hoping the book was much better than the grade I gave . It was, but not by enough to suit him, It was a ten dollar book! I returned it to preserve my 100% rating but it really bothered me.

It's always the $10.00 sale that causes trouble. You did nothing wrong. If the buyer wanted to return it or ask for a credit he could have. He chose to leave a negative. Forget him. leave him a negative for sure. Say he went crazy and left a negative without letting your respond.

Ebay is full of crazies. Just make sure to ban him from future bidding so this will never happen again. Lifes to short, let's move on. Your 99.9% feedback is a good indicator you do things on the up and up.

Well Sam, you're in New Jersey, he's in Long Island, why not just take a little drive over and fix the problem with Leonardo Joe "Sopranos style"? I suggest an aluminum bat rather than a wooden bat.

As for him being a newbie, look at his "me", he purports to be a seller of vintage comics and has a big dopey picture of himself.

Given that scan, he sounds like a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. I too will put him on my blocked bidder list as I will probably be putting up a bing of silver age spideys in the next month.

look at his "me", he purports to be a seller of vintage comics and has a big dopey picture of himself.

27_laughing.gif

Gotta love the "intense" tough guy pose. Men fear him and women swoon. Or possibly he's hoping for the opposite reaction.

cb51_1.JPG

look at his "me", he purports to be a seller of vintage comics and has a big dopey picture of himself.

27_laughing.gif

Gotta love the "intense" tough guy pose. Men fear him and women swoon. Or possibly he's hoping for the opposite reaction.

cb51_1.JPG

"Will pick your nits for comics, *spoon* hole. You want a piece of me? You want a piece of me?"