• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Grading Prices

40 posts in this topic

I am new to comic grading but I have a collection I would like to have graded. I am loking at CGC to grade them but I am confused looking at their pricing guide. Can someone explain to me what they mean by the maximum value column in their pricing guide. For moden pricing they have priced $16.00 per book or $15.00 per book for 10 or more. But then they have max value $200.00. What do they mean by that?

That means that any book post 1975 has to have an Overstreet value of $200 or less. If the value is greater then $200, you have to submit on a different tier like Economy, or you can spend more and receive faster by sending under their Standard column.

Walthrough means you get the books graded same day...how you deliver the books to CGC is irrelevant. The costs you mention are min and max of that tier on a PER BOOK basis. Obviously, this tier is reserved for the high end books. Essentially, the more expensive the book, the less time CGC wants it in their facilities for insurance purposes.

Whooo...that's an expensive proposition. Personally, I would pick out a few select books that you think are in absolutely pristine shape and are in demand currently, and submit them, and then see if your personal grading was correct. For most modern books, they need to be at least 9.8 to really be worth grading and even then, you may not get back what you pay for the slab. What are some of the titles/issues you are collecting?

My recommendation would be to skip the grading, and just use Mylars and/or Mylites with buffered acid free boards. That way you still have the option of reading them, but you are also protecting them. As long as you don't cram the box they're in, and store them in a cool, dark area, they'll be good. Your wallet will also thank you. grin.gif

I can certainly understand your point - well said and taken. However, say for example I want to grade a series of (what I think are NM) books from year 2004 to present. Say for instance there are 35 total books in the series? How much would it cost me based on CGC's current price list? I still don't think I understand what they mean by FMV. Can you give me a senario here?

I haven't done the walkthru, and haven't had a lot of stuff graded personally, so others may know better here. But my understanding is that walkthru does have a minimum charge per book is $110 or 2.5% of the value, whichever is higher. So for a modern book, it wouldn't be worth it in all likelihood. My guess as to the reason for the higher price is because they have to grade out your book then and there, and push it to the front of the queue, so to speak, and so they charge a premium.

That is what I thought by reading the price list and I appreciate the response. I think I have it now. The best way I can tell to grade the modern books is mail them in using their modern service. It's about $16.00 a comic depending upon quantity. That is how I understand it anyway and I think I have it right?

Yes I am aware of having them resleaved every seven years I just thought having them graded was better than keeping them in mylar sleaves? For one thing a CGC grade (in my opinion) takes the guess work out of condition of the comic (as you are aware opinions seem to vary greatly) and the container would take away from the temptation to unsleave it and handle it.

Welcome to the Boards!!! My advice is to try and find the same issues already graded & slabbed in higher grade & keep the dupes as readers for your son...that way you are guaranteed a collectable grade AND he can enjoy the reading of them...You would be spending less this way IMO