• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this one Please!!

15 posts in this topic

This is another one of my non eye appealing copies of Spiderman and I am wondering what kind of grade (if any) it would receive? It looks like it has some water damage and according to Overstreet a good copy isn't worth that much but I am wondering if it is gradeable at all?

Front -------

Spidey35front.jpg

Back -------

Spidey35back.jpg

1.8/2.0

Do most comics score a 1.0 to 2.0 even if they are badly beaten down like this one?

1.0/2.0 is a fairly low grade book, so yes most books beaten down like this would score around there.

Since I am a newbie are you saying this comic is worthless or just not worth having it graded? Do you think it is a 1.0 or 2.0?

First, there's definitely a difference between worthless and not worth grading. The book is not worthless. There's a very healthy market out there of comic collectors who want an original copy of some of these old classics, but they don't have the money to afford nice copies. This is the perfect alternative for them. So a book like this, while it may only grade as a 1.0 to 2.0 will have demand in the market, and you should be able to sell it without a problem. The caveat to that is the price that you sell it at. You won't get full Overstreet for this book. From what I've seen and heard, at best you'll get 30 to 50% of the listed price for the grade.

Based on that, you've probably got a $5 to $10 book right now. Having it graded will cost you well more than the book is worth, and you aren't likely to get any premium for having the book graded by CGC. The people likely to buy the book are going to be folks who want to read the book, not store it away for investing purposes. They won't want to pay the premium that you might want to charge for it being a CGC graded book, and have to crack the book open themselves anyways. If you can't make back the cost of the grading, plus get something extra for the trouble of having it graded anyways, then it's not worth it.

Yep, TiQuinn said it pretty good.

Not worth slabbing. But probably someone would find value in it as a raw (unslabbed) comic.

That's some pretty serious water staining. Just call it a reader copy with water stains and hope to get a middling percentage of the Good guide price if you go to sell it.

In general, your best bang for your buck for slabbing are going to be really high grade comics. Think of those that look comparable to the condition of a comic you could buy off the newstand today. That's probably a 9.2 or better for the average random new comic.

Of course you are putting up some older and potentially more valuable comics and even a low grade comic with enough value could be worth slabbing just to document that there's no restoration etc. But for these older comics that are pre-1975, remember that your slabbing cost is going to be at least double that of a modern comic (eg, $15 compared to about $29) so you need more value to make it worthwhile to consider.

Slabbing costs money. Keep posting and asking for comments - the advice is free and, just maybe, worth what you're paying for it. wink.gif

Since I am a newbie are you saying this comic is worthless or just not worth having it graded? Do you think it is a 1.0 or 2.0?

First, there's definitely a difference between worthless and not worth grading. The book is not worthless. There's a very healthy market out there of comic collectors who want an original copy of some of these old classics, but they don't have the money to afford nice copies. This is the perfect alternative for them. So a book like this, while it may only grade as a 1.0 to 2.0 will have demand in the market, and you should be able to sell it without a problem. The caveat to that is the price that you sell it at. You won't get full Overstreet for this book. From what I've seen and heard, at best you'll get 30 to 50% of the listed price for the grade.

Based on that, you've probably got a $5 to $10 book right now. Having it graded will cost you well more than the book is worth, and you aren't likely to get any premium for having the book graded by CGC. The people likely to buy the book are going to be folks who want to read the book, not store it away for investing purposes. They won't want to pay the premium that you might want to charge for it being a CGC graded book, and have to crack the book open themselves anyways. If you can't make back the cost of the grading, plus get something extra for the trouble of having it graded anyways, then it's not worth it.

Grade 2.0.....If this is a 1st appearance major key of course you want to send it to CGC. If you have a 2.0 X-men #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, Spider-man #1, Human Torch 1 (#2) & etc. You will more than likely always receive a higher return for having your low grade major keys or 1st appearances graded.

Grade 2.0.....If this is a 1st appearance major key of course you want to send it to CGC. If you have a 2.0 X-men #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, Spider-man #1, Human Torch 1 (#2) & etc. You will more than likely always receive a higher return for having your low grade major keys or 1st appearances graded.

Bravo!! I am proud of myself for knowing about 1st issues.. and I appreciate your taking the time to remind me again. Appreciated..

Give yourself a hand 893applaud-thumb.gif

A definite readers copy! With the tape repair, the high amount of fading, the tremendous amount of soiling, and the accumulation of tears, I would give it a 1.8. But it's definitely a book that could spark some interest for people who just want to be able to read their comic books (as long as the story is still complete). Although I wouldn't expect anyone to pay too much for a copy like this. $5 would probably be the most I think anyone would want to pay, but sometimes people are really more interested in the lower grades than you think.

A definite readers copy! With the tape repair, the high amount of fading, the tremendous amount of soiling, and the accumulation of tears, I would give it a 1.8. But it's definitely a book that could spark some interest for people who just want to be able to read their comic books (as long as the story is still complete). Although I wouldn't expect anyone to pay too much for a copy like this. $5 would probably be the most I think anyone would want to pay, but sometimes people are really more interested in the lower grades than you think.

Welcome to the Boards eBay comic book dealer hi.gif