• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your opinions requested - should I have Creig Flessel sign my Detective #10?

68 posts in this topic

Absolutely!!!! How fantastic!!

Mind if I give you some questions to ask him?

Mark, you can give me some questions and if there is an easy way to fit them into the conversation, I'd be happy to ask them. I am really jazzed about this lunch! Thanks again for setting it up, Kris. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I am really interested in how he feels about pressing or if the OA exists for More Fun comics. poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif

I just say tongue.gif to all three of you (including tth2)! stooges.gif

If you are worried about his signature messing up the look of the front cover but don't want it on the 1st page because once it is encapsulated you will not be able to see it you still have the alternative of having him sign the back cover. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

West

Get it Signed on the cover! only signature i would endorse being put on the cover... but this is just too amazing to miss out on. And value wise, dont worry, if you dont like Centaurmans 150 % offer on your purchase price i will put in 200 % any day, any time grin.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd have him sign it on the cover, but I'm not a stickler about maintaining the book in the best condition.

If it means something to you to have it signed by him, I say do it. The fact that the sig can be verified under the sig series program is just a bonus.

More importantly, get him to do a remark on the cover!

Ordinarily I never liked signed books (or movie posters) except for special circumstances. I think this qualifies. Someone mentioned not having it signed to you...I can understand that form a $$$ point of view because an inscription can lessen the collectibility. But if this is something you are keeping for yourself I'd say get it personalized if possible. And on the cover. Let Creig decide where and what to sign.

And one more thought - keep the receipt from the lunch and archivally tape it to the back of the slab. It is a piece of provenance.

I personally wouldn't have it personalized. Some day you may need to sell it (or relatives when you kick the bucket) and having "To Oscar, your a sexy beast" isn't a good selling point. His signature is good enough smile.gif

I personally wouldn't have it personalized. Some day you may need to sell it (or relatives when you kick the bucket) and having "To Oscar, your a sexy beast" isn't a good selling point. His signature is good enough smile.gif

I guess that depends. If Scott becomes a real bigwig name in the world of comics, and he has photos and also saves that meal receipt, then he will have real provenance linking himself to the book and to the "To Scott" - thereby lending reflected glory to the book and increased value in the hearts of the true collectors.

I'm not really concerned about the effect that the signature would have on the resale value. I am more concerned with people's opinions on the "integrity of the artifact," so to speak. While I am leaning toward having the book signed, I appreciate and understand the opinions of those who believe that the book should be preserved in its present state, and that is what led me to ask the question in the first place. To be honest, I am a little surprised that there haven't been more people on the "don't get it signed" side of the discussion. I can also say that those who said "don't get it signed" are pretty much the people I expected to hold that view (which is generally consistent with my own views on getting books signed -- I just view this one as a somewhat special case, since Flessel is getting on in years and from what I have seen, is not at all a prolific signer of books).

Technically, he has already signed the cover.

Good point. Maybe I'll cut that piece off and have him sign the cover again so that I can have his signature on there in original ink, yet avoid the redundancy.

I keed, I keed. yay.gif

yes have him sign it, non inscribed, on an interior page - what city are you meeting in I can get it CGC signature series if I am there
He already has an authorized CGC witness for the lunch. (Read his first post.)