• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2020 at 6:06 PM, flashlites said:

Here's my 'reader copy'. With these black covers, every flaw is super visible :pullhair:. Any Flash fans interested in this years March Madness grading contest? I threw my lightening bolt in the ring again this year. I had so much fun last year, and learned a lot along the way.

Flash 130.jpg

It looks fine to me i love books that have been enjoyed (thumbsu

Hmm while waiting for more 130s ... this is my very first DC slab bought back in 2016 when after sitting back cursing dealers for 20 years and seeing the first series on TV (DVD here in Australia), I thought .. maybe I will try and finish the run. Had no idea of restoration, etc it was bought as a reader with the intention of cracking it and keeping it as a reader ..if only my wife knew what this started she would probably dragged me oft to an Amish settlement.

DSC05003.JPG

2 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Hmm while waiting for more 130s ... this is my very first DC slab bought back in 2016 when after sitting back cursing dealers for 20 years and seeing the first series on TV (DVD here in Australia), I thought .. maybe I will try and finish the run. Had no idea of restoration, etc it was bought as a reader with the intention of cracking it and keeping it as a reader ..if only my wife knew what this started she would probably dragged me oft to an Amish settlement.

I love it! I doubt i'll ever be fortunate enough to own one of the Showcase books. There is a Showcase #8 in pretty rough shape (water damage) at one of my local comic shops, but its about $800 I believe. You are indeed a fortunate Flash fan! About 3 years ago at our local con I got to hold a Showcase #4 for about 10 seconds LOL! The dealer had 2 of them! I asked to see one. He said "Do you want to see the $10,000 one or the $20,000 one?" I asked to see the lesser of the two. To me it was like getting to meet a celebrity. (worship) It's probably best you kept it in its case. You can always read the story in the Silver age volumes. Do you have any of the others Terry? How close are you to finishing the run?

Edited by flashlites
addition

Yeah the movie has turned into it's own saga. I have lost count of the scripts that have been rejected. I can count four not including Miller's but think there is more attached to this current project. Some of the director choices also made me wince and at one time there was a casting call for people to play Len Snart and "Harrison Wells".  Why bother reading the source material, just reboot series one of the TV show. That director was fired soon after and "his" Iris was cut out of the JL movie. I have been unsure how I felt of Miller's version of the Flash. I thought the best scene for him was cut from the final JL movie. I thought he was too "light" in the movie and that scene would have made a  huge difference. I am guessing a lot of the reshoots were made to lighten it up and I thought Flash suffered from that. I have changed my mid after seeing him in Crisis. That Crisis scene has given me hope for the character. I think SC 4 and 105 may pick up a bit but others will if people think they are related to the movie story line or possible story lines if this starts a trilogy.

I thought Hodson's -script was okay in Birds of Prey but I think Robbie made a mistake by not having Big Tony. That character is one of the make or break characters in Conner's run. Girls don't go to action movies, and guys don't go to actions  movies without a guy in it they can identify as some hero type. If women want more movies with women as central characters they need to vote at the box office as the message from this one is loud and clear.

Apparently Hodson's -script has met the director's and DC's approval and come 2022 we may finally have a movie to see.

I am hoping for a planned trilogy as with his Rogues only Spiderman and Batman has as much potential for movie based story lines.

Flashpoint to me could never be a 150 minute movie, but the idea of going back in time to save his mother and how that could effect the DC characters has been discussed. Pattinson's Batman etc, a new Mera in Aquaman, a new Superman etc. placing Steve Trevor in the current moment. But who knows. The big three for Flash are Reverse Flash, Grodd and the Rogues. That should be a trilogy. Just hope they don't do what they did with GL and hint at Sinestro and Star Sapphire and give us Hector Hammond. Every GL fan I know has Hector Hammond right at the top of their lists and how he does not lead the Legion of Doom is still a mystery. Yep as long as they don't do that. 

I think it may be time for me to dig out some more slab photos.

Yes, Terry -- thanks for keeping up with the thread! I made my "key" purchase for the year today and should have the book in hand early next week. I will certainly share that when it comes in! Remember I'm on a strict one "key" a year diet :insane:!!! -- last year it was the 123! 

I guess there are no more 130's out there right now? On a side note, yours truly tied for second place in the "Lightning Round" grading contest last weekend! We are counting down the days for the March Madness grading contest to begin over in the "Hey Buddy Can you Spare a Grade" thread. If you've never been over there its worth a look especially when the contest gets going, lots and lots of fun even if you're not in the contest, just reading the posts and comments, meme's and gif's is worth the price of admission ($0 lol!)

360158494_chart.png.504463fd0c6372394d882269be666876.png

Edited by flashlites

OMG, the things on this forum I had no idea of. As I look around my office at all the stuff that needs filing .. such fun will have to wait. Anyway lets do another slab. Keep me in CGC's good graces. While we are thinking about keys and 105s.

First Rogue ever on the cover. 1959. I think Schwartz thought maybe 5 years for superheroes, again if that. No one had any idea of what Broome and Infantino were about to create.

003 (2).jpg

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs
Seriously .. do I really need a reason

6 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

OMG, the things on this forum I had no idea of. As I look around my office at all the stuff that needs filing .. such fun will have to wait. Anyway lets do another slab. Keep me in CGC's good graces. While we are thinking about keys and 105s.

First Rogue ever on the cover. 1959. I think Schwartz thought maybe 5 years for superheroes, again if that. No one had any idea of what Broome and Infantino were about to create.

003 (2).jpg

What some don’t know about Flash 105 is how much meaning it gives to Showcase 4. Sometimes it’s important to remember that keys like Showcase 4 and 22 didn’t evolve into the books they are without Flash 105 and Green Lantern 1. This is one of the significant attributes of DC’s Silver Age. We see this with Marvel’s (anthology) AF 15 and ASM 1. ASM 1 and the successful Spidey run defines his first appearance. The success of the Silver Age’s first superhero run cannot be underscored and 105 kicks it off. Where would Showcase 4 be without 105? Probably sitting in a stack of comics with Cave Carson, Johnny Double, and Tommy Tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

What some don’t know about Flash 105 is how much meaning it gives to Showcase 4. Sometimes it’s important to remember that keys like Showcase 4 and 22 didn’t evolve into the books they are without Flash 105 and Green Lantern 1. This is one of the significant attributes of DC’s Silver Age. We see this with Marvel’s (anthology) AF 15 and ASM 1. ASM 1 and the successful Spidey run defines his first appearance. The success of the Silver Age’s first superhero run cannot be underscored and 105 kicks it off. Where would Showcase 4 be without 105? Probably sitting in a stack of comics with Cave Carson, Johnny Double, and Tommy Tomorrow. 

I never thought of it that way before, but you are absolutely right! The Showcase issues would all be forgotten if it weren't for the success of the run. Another thing I did not realize until my second attempt at completing the run was the fact that it did not run monthly at first. This was new territory and they were unsure and so they proceeded with caution and only published Flash every other month. I'm not sure exactly when they finally went to every month, but it was years later. 

8 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

003 (2).jpg

I love seeing that 105 Terry! Thanks for sharing! I may have shared this story before but i'll never forget that day back in the 70's ( I was about 12 or 13) when I asked my local comic shop owner if he'd ever seen a 105 before. I'd never even seen a photo of one! All I could do was look at the the little note in the price guide (105 ...origin retold ) and imagine. He said no at first and paused for a moment....and said "now that I think of it I did have one in my old book store years ago but it sold right away as I recall." "Well what did it look like? What was on the cover?" I asked. "It was the Mirror Master on the cover." My mind immediately went to work in an attempt to create an image of the cover. Its funny how that memory has stuck with me all these years. That little exchange, right when my enthusiasm for the hobby was just picking up steam.... 

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

I never thought of it that way before, but you are absolutely right! The Showcase issues would all be forgotten if it weren't for the success of the run. Another thing I did not realize until my second attempt at completing the run was the fact that it did not run monthly at first. This was new territory and they were unsure and so they proceeded with caution and only published Flash every other month. I'm not sure exactly when they finally went to every month, but it was years later. 

Even Superman and Batman weren’t monthly books until the early 70s. They only hit the racks 10 months a year when I was collecting in the mid 60s, and that includes the all-reprint 80 page giants. I’m quite certain that the only monthlies were Action and Detective.

18 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

Even Superman and Batman weren’t monthly books until the early 70s. They only hit the racks 10 months a year when I was collecting in the mid 60s, and that includes the all-reprint 80 page giants. I’m quite certain that the only monthlies were Action and Detective.

That seems right. I believe the 15 cent issues for Flash were the first issues to come out monthly. Hey:baiting:, I believe this is the last post for page 130. Everybody get ready for 131 so dig into those boxes and get those Flash 131's ready for the scanner now. 131 is one of my all time favorite Flash covers!

4 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

it’s important to remember that keys like Showcase 4 and 22 didn’t evolve into the books they are without Flash 105 and Green Lantern 1. This is one of the significant attributes of DC’s Silver Age.

So true!

Edited by flashlites