• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheap Spidey statue

22 posts in this topic

Sweet looking statue I attempted to order a few of them even though it says one per housefold, hopefully I will get them all if not oh well .... smirk.gif

My only worry is what it's made from. What does it mean when it says it's "cold cast"? At that price, I would expect it to be made from plastic, not a "statuesque" material like the resin Bowen uses or porcelain.

Low price on the ASM statue but they won't ship outside the USA. It is similiar to a Japanese garage kit (unlicensed) that was resin? sculpted in a Romita pose on an 8 or 9 inch base. Released over 5 years ago. The 1 I bought was handpainted including the detailed costume webbing. Retail was at least $90 US. acclaim.gif

Am I the only one with red flags waving in my head here?

There is no information about this "club" on the site...

The site is hosted as a yahoo store...

There is no information indicating why you should join this "club"...

There is no trademark or copyright information on the page referencing Marvel...

There is no contact information should you be dissatisfied with your purchase...

There is no link to the Marvel website...

The name of the yahoo store is "hellraisercc"...

Had this been an eBay auction, twenty people would have been complaining about it... "Official Marvel Collector's Club".... yeah... right...

Yes... Unfortunately, it looks like you are correct. No apparent official Marvel Affiliation... just a venue to sell a statue that won't even ship until Sept 15.

That's as official as it gets. They couldn't just create a Spider-Man statue and sell it if they're an American company anyway without Marvel's permission...it'd be copyright infringement. Some artists outside the US do it, though...I've bought a number of nice unlicensed Marvel statues from Brazil lately that rival Bowen's work in quality.

While the Marvel Collector's Club does look oddly amateurish, the domain is registered to the NECA which turns out to be The National Entertainment Collectibles Association.

They've licensed Marvel characters although there's no mention of the Collector's Club or the statue on their main site. The statue actually isn't within their normal range of products but I guess they're legit. Marvel doesn't seem to be QA'ing their affiliates very well, though.

From their website:

NECA (The National Entertainment Collectibles Association) was founded in

1997 to manufacture high quality licensed collectibles. Over the past 5

years NECA has evolved into a major manufacturer with over 60 licenses from

the worlds of sports, music, television, and film. Everything from retro

style tin lunchboxes, resin bobbing heads, snow globes, and action figures.

NECA does it all.

Operating under the NECA entity are several unique brand leaders. NECA's

Head Knockers are the leader in the bobbing head category with over 100

different figurines produced to date. Head Knockers stand alone with their

massive amounts of detail, hand painted in high quality resin, and the added

bonus of intricate bases and environments tailor made for every character.

NECA's Reel Toys division was founded in 2002 to deliver the highest quality

Action Figures and Dolls on the market. Reel Toys is the genesis of many

leading sculptors, designers, and painters coming together to create the

products that collectors want.

NECA, Head Knockers, and Reel Toys

Quality, Collectibility, Value,

For Collectors By Collectors

Hello,

I'm Rene Rosa, webmaster for all of NECA's websites including http://www.necaonline.com , http://www.hellraiserthemovie.com , and now http://www.marvelcollectorsclub.com .

Specific licensing dealings and other details caused the club to launch the way it has, but know that it is a FULLY LICENSED AND OFFICIAL line of Marvel Comics products.

The store is going to be updated and fully represent the club as more details are being fine tuned.

We wanted to give the collectors a chance to pre-order the Spider-Man a couple months before hand to coincide with its appearance at the San Diego Comic-Con last week.

We will be putting up the full details of the club and a FAQ listing out how things are going to work. Know that your payment for the statue ALSO includes a free membership to the club for one full year. We plan to have a brand new statue a month able to be purchased by members of the club only, at the same low kinds of prices.

There will also be a limited membership for "Super Members" who will be automatically charged for each coming statue as it is shipped. Those members will be limited to 500 in total and are guaranteed every piece we put out.

I hope this has cleared some issues and answered some questions, and those that haven't been answered can email me at rener@necaonline.com or wait a little while for the store to be updated. Be sure to put in your order now if you really want the statue because the orders are flying in. Remember, there is only one order per household, so those who try to order more than one will only recieve the first order they put in.

Thanks again,

Rene Rosa

http://www.necaonline.com