• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hmm

81 posts in this topic

I guess gipping Forum members isn't seen as an accountable offense around here...

How about a comment which denigrates an entire population of people who underwent genocide at the hands of the Nazis?

Explain, please, as I have no clue what you mean.

I guess gipping Forum members isn't seen as an accountable offense around here...

How about a comment which denigrates an entire population of people who underwent genocide at the hands of the Nazis?

Gypsies...,

akin with "Jew them down to a lower price"

One of my favorites that has seemingly lost it's root meaning these days is "more bang for your buck". You hear major politicians use that one these days - the root was "more prostitute for your dollar".

The word is "gypping", which is a very pejorative word stereotyping Gypsies.

Yes it is. However, it is one of those words that has become so far removed from it's source of origin, at worst any usage of it can be attributed to ignorance - not hatred.

After all, how many of us have met actual gypsies? Or had bad transactions with them?

Yes it is. However, it is one of those words that has become so far removed from it's source of origin, at worst any usage of it can be attributed to ignorance - not hatred.

Try telling that to any Gypsie comic collectors on the boards.

After all, how many of us have met actual gypsies? Or had bad transactions with them?

I agree. The meaning I always associated with it was getting rooked by someone. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've never met a gypsy, but I've met Tramps and thieves. Cher has met all of them 220px-Whatimlookingfor.jpg

I agree. The meaning I always associated with it was getting rooked by someone. confused-smiley-013.gif

Now you're insulting my fine feathered friends?!? mad.gif

Gypsies...,

akin with "Jew them down to a lower price"

One of my favorites that has seemingly lost it's root meaning these days is "more bang for your buck". You hear major politicians use that one these days - the root was "more prostitute for your dollar".

I had always said "Chew them down in price" and didn't realize until about a month ago it is actually "Jew". I quickly stopped saying that.

As for "gypping", I had no idea how that was even spelled and like someone said, I don't know the last time someone said this and was actually referring to gypsies. And how exactly does this tie into Nazi Germany?