• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hmm

81 posts in this topic

The word is "gypping", which is a very pejorative word stereotyping Gypsies.
Does this mean I'm not supposed to use that word anymore? I didn't get the memo. confused-smiley-013.gif

And if I or my wife does use that word how much would bail be set for?

I could probably find that word used numerous times in many comic publications.

To make it "taboo" (oops just made fun of witch-doctors foreheadslap.gif ) all of a sudden makes it well.... "crazy" (oops foreheadslap.gif )

When 60 minutes runs a special on the word Gyp being harmful then maybe I'll pay attention.

After all, how many of us have met actual gypsies? Or had bad transactions with them?

hi.gif

If you tell me it causes you discomfort then I'll do my best to not use it. confused-smiley-013.gif But I would be surprised.

As for "gypping", I had no idea how that was even spelled and like someone said, I don't know the last time someone said this and was actually referring to gypsies. And how exactly does this tie into Nazi Germany?

Gypsies were among the many groups that Nazis rounded up and sent to the concentration camps.

Frankly, I wasn't aware that this was the origin of this word either. It's so far removed from its original source I doubt many people know... it's not as obvious as most other stereotypes.

After all, how many of us have met actual gypsies? Or had bad transactions with them?

Every summer roving bands of Traveller type Gypsies come through this area working the roofing and driveway scams.

They tried to scam my grandparents just about every year.

The word is "gypping", which is a very pejorative word stereotyping Gypsies.
Does this mean I'm not supposed to use that word anymore? I didn't get the memo. confused-smiley-013.gif

And if I or my wife does use that word how much would bail be set for?

I could probably find that word used numerous times in many comic publications.

To make it "taboo" (oops just made fun of witch-doctors foreheadslap.gif ) all of a sudden makes it well.... "crazy" (oops foreheadslap.gif )

When 60 minutes runs a special on the word Gyp being harmful then maybe I'll pay attention.

I remember about 20 years ago the use of that word became a big deal and frankly I thought it went away. I haven't seen or heard it used in forever.

But back to the subject at hand......I seriously doubt the mods will do anything about the starter of this thread. I believe they have a hands off policy in regard to marketplace dealings. If they start getting involved in deals gone wrong, it opens up a large can of worms.

But if he's a shill as has been implied...then he should be gone.

As for "gypping", I had no idea how that was even spelled and like someone said, I don't know the last time someone said this and was actually referring to gypsies. And how exactly does this tie into Nazi Germany?

Gypsies were among the many groups that Nazis rounded up and sent to the concentration camps.

Frankly, I wasn't aware that this was the origin of this word either. It's so far removed from its original source I doubt many people know... it's not as obvious as most other stereotypes.

Yea, it's like the "Nigerian Scam". I don't have anything against Nigerians in general, but the Nigerian scammers can kiss my @zz, as well as Gypsises that try to gyp me.

hi.gif

If you tell me it causes you discomfort then I'll do my best to not use it. confused-smiley-013.gif But I would be surprised.

I m not a gypsy.

Ive met them.

one tried to steal my sisters sunglasses off her belt then said sorry I thought I was grabbing my belt

I guess gipping Forum members isn't seen as an accountable offense around here...

How about a comment which denigrates an entire population of people who underwent genocide at the hands of the Nazis?

You need to seriously back off buddy! I never knew it was associated with Gypsies and is a very common term used for those who cheat people. Don't like it then I suggest you contact Webster's who doesn't list the term as having negative connotations...

gyp also gip (jp) KEY Slang

TRANSITIVE VERB:

gypped , also gipped gyp·ping , gip·ping gyps , gips

To deprive (another) of something by fraud; cheat or swindle.

NOUN:

A fraud or swindle.

One who defrauds; a swindler.

Oh...and based on the definition, that's exactly what the poster in question has done... makepoint.gif

Jim

Gypsies were targeted for extermination under Nazi race laws. All Gypsies were to be sent to Auschwitz, similar to Jews, and between 200,000-600,000 Gypsies were murdered by the Nazis.

We understand the horrible history of the Nazis and the races and ethnic groups they repressed and killed, but that doesn't have anything to do with the term "gypping". If the Nazis called the extermination of gypsies "gypping" then I could understand the correlation, but I haven't heard anything so far linking the two.

Just trying to figure out what a few people are so angry about sorry.gif

Hmmmm 893scratchchin-thumb.gif...bust on a guy who is doing questionable transactions in the Marketplace, & you all start in on each other 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif...again, this guy isn't even lifting a finger and is indirectly causing rifts shy.gif...bet he's getting a real kick out of everything he's stirred up gossip.gif