• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hmm

81 posts in this topic

The word is "gypping", which is a very pejorative word stereotyping Gypsies.

Yes it is. However, it is one of those words that has become so far removed from it's source of origin, at worst any usage of it can be attributed to ignorance - not hatred.

After all, how many of us have met actual gypsies? Or had bad transactions with them?

I agree. The meaning I always associated with it was getting rooked by someone. confused-smiley-013.gif

Now you're insulting an entire population of chess pieces.

Honestly, I too have never heard of the origin of the word, thinking it was idiosyncratic And I'll bet less than 1 in 1000 have, yet everyone has used the word. Legitimate question as to whether it should be expurgated from usage given it may rise to the level of an ethnic insult, despite almost everyone unaware of its origin.

This has got to be the dumbest thread so far this year. foreheadslap.gif

I think the Global Warming thread on a comic board trumps this thread for being the dumbest. Did I insult any particular group when I wrote Trumps? I hope Donald is not offended......

He'll have your *spoon* , chump! makepoint.gif

This has got to be the dumbest thread so far this year. foreheadslap.gif

I think the Global Warming thread on a comic board trumps this thread for being the dumbest. Did I insult any particular group when I wrote Trumps? I hope Donald is not offended......

He'll have your *spoon* , chump! makepoint.gif

sumo.gif Greggy style

You need to seriously back off buddy! I never knew it was associated with Gypsies and is a very common term used for those who cheat people. Don't like it then I suggest you contact Webster's who doesn't list the term as having negative connotations...

gyp also gip (jp) KEY Slang

TRANSITIVE VERB:

gypped , also gipped gyp·ping , gip·ping gyps , gips

To deprive (another) of something by fraud; cheat or swindle.

I don't see what a guy who likes to wear women's clothing has to DO with this! What has HAPPENED to this place lately? frown.gif

Any why would someone want to insult a mineral, even if it IS only #2 oin the MOHS scale of hardness?

Does this mean I'm not supposed to use that word anymore? I didn't get the memo. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just make sure you only use words that denigrate white American heterosexual males.

They're the only ones that aren't off limits any more.

Does this mean I'm not supposed to use that word anymore? I didn't get the memo. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just make sure you only use words that denigrate white American heterosexual males.

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif
I hear they can't jump

I just sold a book to Kyle Newman in Beverly Hills, CA..wondering if that is Paul Newman's son...Paul Newman's from Cleveland what a small world.

Say hi to Kyle for me. hi.gif

Yes it is. However, it is one of those words that has become so far removed from it's source of origin, at worst any usage of it can be attributed to ignorance - not hatred.

After all, how many of us have met actual gypsies? Or had bad transactions with them?

...that would be anyone who ever bought a comic from me,... hi.gif...my father's side is pure gypsie,...I have cousins who learned how to duck and roll when hit by a car by the age of 7,...

As for "gypping", I had no idea how that was even spelled and like someone said, I don't know the last time someone said this and was actually referring to gypsies. And how exactly does this tie into Nazi Germany?

Gypsies were among the many groups that Nazis rounded up and sent to the concentration camps.

Frankly, I wasn't aware that this was the origin of this word either. It's so far removed from its original source I doubt many people know... it's not as obvious as most other stereotypes.

Yea, it's like the "Nigerian Scam". I don't have anything against Nigerians in general, but the Nigerian scammers can kiss my @zz, as well as Gypsises that try to gyp me.

sign-funnypost.gifhail.gif

...that would be anyone who ever bought a comic from me,... hi.gif...my father's side is pure gypsie,...I have cousins who learned how to duck and roll when hit by a car by the age of 7,...

So many pieces just fell into place... poke2.gif