• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction

24 posts in this topic

I just went through Heritages most recent upcoming auction. I have refrained from bidding for several auction unless a book that has been on my want list for a long while shows up. This auction coming up looks pretty thin for GA stuff except one grail for me. May go outside my price range (almost certainly). It is still a while before it goes into action so I am wondering if they are holding some stuff back. Anyone know?

I just went through Heritages most recent upcoming auction. I have refrained from bidding for several auction unless a book that has been on my want list for a long while shows up. This auction coming up looks pretty thin for GA stuff except one grail for me. May go outside my price range (almost certainly). It is still a while before it goes into action so I am wondering if they are holding some stuff back. Anyone know?

They've sometimes looked pretty skimpy on new material only to have consignments arrive late in the process to make an auction interesting.

It's almost 3 months away yet. Some stuff may have been consigned already which Heritage hasn't put up in the previews yet (like some of my stuff). I'm sure other stuff will come in over the next month or so.

Just took a quick look at the Heritage auction that's ending later today.

Has anybody ever brought anything raw from Heritage before? I noticed they have a lot of raw books up for bidding in this auction. Based upon current bid prices, am I supposed to assume that Heritage generally overgrades a bit on their raw books. Some prices sure seem pretty enticing at this point in time.

For example, I just noticed a Wonderworld #12 with a pretty sharp looking Lou Fine cover listed in VF- condition. Overstreet VF price for this book is $719 and yet the current bid is only at $350. Seems like a pretty good price for this book or do the Sunday auctions usually also get bidded up at the last minute?

I've gotten raw books from them that have been slightly over-graded and a few that have been under-graded. It's like anyone's grading I think, with the usual variance from eye to eye. The book looks good but I'm not sure it's a VF-.

Based upon current bid prices, am I supposed to assume that Heritage generally overgrades a bit on their raw books.

I can't comment on current pricing, but when they were auctioning (raw) lots of the McLaughlin books, a well-known dealer warned me off from the books as being consistently overgraded. I wasn't sure if he was just trying to throw me off the scent, but later found out he actually saved me a lot of heartache.

STEVE

Has anybody ever brought anything raw from Heritage before? I noticed they have a lot of raw books up for bidding in this auction. Based upon current bid prices, am I supposed to assume that Heritage generally overgrades a bit on their raw books. Some prices sure seem pretty enticing at this point in time.

For example, I just noticed a Wonderworld #12 with a pretty sharp looking Lou Fine cover listed in VF- condition. Overstreet VF price for this book is $719 and yet the current bid is only at $350. Seems like a pretty good price for this book or do the Sunday auctions usually also get bidded up at the last minute?

I put in what I thought was a low bid on that one, not gunning for it hard or anything, just trying to keep it from going too cheap, and it stuck! That happens maybe like once every 75 times I try to do that on Heritage. Man, I'm shocked.

I put in what I thought was a low bid on that one, not gunning for it hard or anything, just trying to keep it from going too cheap, and it stuck! That happens maybe like once every 75 times I try to do that on Heritage. Man, I'm shocked.

You'll have to let us know what's on page 3! popcorn.gif

27_laughing.gif

Yeah, that's why I capped my bidding at what I'd pay for a FN copy, and is probably why it went so cheap relative to the assigned grade. That writing is ugly.

Still a great cover. Should still be a reasonable pickup as long as it's unrestored.

before someone accuses me of owning stock in the company, shilling for them, etc.--I DON'T.

let me say i have found their raw books to almost always meet, and often exceed, expectations on the grade. compared to some of the other 'big boys,' they are so much straighter that it's no contest. with one outfit in particular, it's rare when they come within only a 1/2 grade lower than advertised. everybody has differing opinions on grading, and surely everybody has missed one on occasion, but i give the heritage raw grading a big thumbs-up.

[oh, and i'm not related to anyone over there, either].

let me say i have found their raw books to almost always meet, and often exceed, expectations on the grade. compared to some of the other 'big boys,' they are so much straighter that it's no contest. with one outfit in particular, it's rare when they come within only a 1/2 grade lower than advertised. everybody has differing opinions on grading, and surely everybody has missed one on occasion, but i give the heritage raw grading a big thumbs-up.

hello all..

I have to agree (so far) with dear "old" billy parker there (the man can throw a football 60 yards, and he is like, what , 94 years old? poke2.gif)...he turned me on a couple of weeks ago to the heritage sunday auctions, and today I got my first 3, which were some detectives...all are graded pretty close to how I would grade (and I am pretty strict)...

rick

hello all..

I have to agree (so far) with dear "old" billy parker there (the man can throw a football 60 yards, and he is like, what , 94 years old? poke2.gif)...he turned me on a couple of weeks ago to the heritage sunday auctions, and today I got my first 3, which were some detectives...all are graded pretty close to how I would grade (and I am pretty strict)...

rick

just like a 'gator--i "didn't look a day over 49" while he was in my reach; run back to his gated estate in fla. and i'm 94!!!!!!! the horror.... baiting indeed--TIGER BAIT this fall in the stadium. which i was planning to invite him to on my second ticket until this indignity hit the world-wide web.

hello all..

rick

just like a 'gator--i "didn't look a day over 49" while he was in my reach; run back to his gated estate in fla. and i'm 94!!!!!!! the horror.... baiting indeed--TIGER BAIT this fall in the stadium. which i was planning to invite him to on my second ticket until this indignity hit the world-wide web.

hello all...

in all seriousness, I have to bow down to BP....not only is his collection about one of the most stunning I have seen (and he is one of the main reasons I have turned to the "dark" side of timely collecting!), he is about 10 years old than I, and he is easily in 10X better the shape than me!...had a great time last weekend....hmmm...second ticket insane.gif

rick

Bow down??? wasn't that your collection that took up half of Bill's dining room table? makepoint.gif plus with Billy in his mid nineties,think of how long he's spent building it.

Hard to believe he can throw a football like that with a cane isn't it?

Glad you've turned to the dark side of Timely by the way.I'll have to get a pic up of my MM run to spur you on.