• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: Golden Age Treats

16 posts in this topic

It's not often I have material like this to sell. Please feel free to PM me with questions or offers or requests for more scans. I linked the title of each book to a big big scan, along with the smaller one in the thread. Forum rules apply.

Comic Cavalcade "Tomorrow the World". At an unrestored 9.0 this is the best copy in the CGC Census of this extremely rare DC Anti-Nazi Giveaway comic from 1945. This was a tie-in to a 1944 movie of the same title starring Fredric March, Betty Field, and Agnes Moorehead. See page 311 of the 2006 Overstreet for more info.

Price: $2000

File0010.jpg

Suspense #1, a 1949 Timely. Hard-to-find first issue of this Timely/Atlas/Marvel title tied into the Suspense radio series. This issue features a great photocover with Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet.

Book presents as a Fine or better, but there is a small cunk missing just beside the bottom staple. May even be chew, cause the interior page that is exposed has some little pieces missing as well. The cover is still attached at that staple, though. We'll call it a VG+.

Price: $175

File0009.jpg

Planet Comics 55. What is there to say about this title? They lay it all out on the cover! Some Sci-Fi, some GGA, and you are good to go.

I don't think any of the defects on this book take it out of the Fine range. There is a little chunk out on the upper left and small tears at the staples. A little brown spot a the top of the top staple, although the staples look clean.

Price: $175

File0007.jpg

If you happen to have that Tomorrow the World in say maybe a year, we can talk. laugh.gif

Awesome comic, but all my cash is spoken for with eBay, CL and Heritage. frown.gif I may hit WonderCon broke!

Gotta go sell some books...!

Zaza the Mystic #10, Charlton. One of those Charltons that does not appear often. I actually got a much lower grade copy with the Northhampton collection, and it sold immediately when it was listed on eBay.

A nice well-loved VG. The small stains really stand out in the scan, but they are not so terrible in person.

Price: $60

File0008.jpg

Daredevil 15, Gleason. This issue features the death of Meatball, one of the Little Wise Guys who were Daredevil's sidekicks. In addition this issue has a great Scoop Scuttle story by Basil Wolverton.

Book presents as a Fine, but it is certainly fair to knock it down a bit for the shadow. There's a 1/2" tear at the right edge. VG+ to VG/F.

Price: $275

File0003.jpg

Legends of Daniel Boone 8, DC. This entire series is listed by Overstreet as scarce and this final issue has a Gerber relative scarcity index of 8 (11 to 20 copies estimated), one of the few 1950's DCs in this category. Even Danger Trail 3 only rates a Gerber 7.) This is a nice about-Fine copy with a couple of small edge tears and some faint hairline creasing in the lower right hand corner. There is one long, faint bend that is visible in the scan through the big cat. It has a clean, solid feel to it and has nice off-white paper.

Price: $225

File0001.jpg

Smash #79, Quality. Jack Cole cover. Midnight battles the Men from Mars cover story.

Book has a small paper sticker on the inside front cover in the upper left. Not sure why it's there. It's not hiding anything, as this is a clean flat book. It does have some light brown spotty stains on the edges of back cover, in the margin and on a few panels. Pages are off-white, and whatever made the stains has not turned the pages brittle. I'm going to call it a VG/VG+.

Price: $55

File0004.jpg

Authentic Police Cases #3, St. John. This issue includes a blood drainage story (The Veiled Avenger) and was used in Wertham's Seduction of the Innocent. There are also two Lucky Coyne stories. Some of the art in these stories appears Baker-ish to me, but I cannot be sure. It is not attributed to him in the guide.

Book has reading wear and some aging, but is very solidily together. Calling it a VG-.

Price: $125

File0005.jpg