• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ad panels from Superman stories in Action 1-4

4 posts in this topic

The recent Superman Chronicles trade paperbacks reprint the early Superman stories from the beginning. However, I think the Action Comics stories from #s 1-4 were actually taken from the reprinted versions in Superman #1.

The end of the story from Action #2 has an ad urging readers to ask their local newspapers to run the Superman comic strip (which didn't begin until 1939), and the end of the story from Action #3 has an ad promoting the Supermen of America fan club, and refers to an application form appearing in the center of the book. I know that a Supermen of America ad and application appeared in the centerspread of Superman #1, and given that Superman wouldn't even appear on the cover of Action Comics for another four issues, I highly doubt that there was an official fan club in place by August 1938.

I'm new to these boards, so please forgive me if my request is out of place, but could someone post scans from the last pages of the Superman stories from Action Comics #s 1-4? I'm curious to see what ads really appeared at the end of these stories.

Thanks! smile.gif

The recent Superman Chronicles trade paperbacks reprint the early Superman stories from the beginning. However, I think the Action Comics stories from #s 1-4 were actually taken from the reprinted versions in Superman #1.

The end of the story from Action #2 has an ad urging readers to ask their local newspapers to run the Superman comic strip (which didn't begin until 1939), and the end of the story from Action #3 has an ad promoting the Supermen of America fan club, and refers to an application form appearing in the center of the book. I know that a Supermen of America ad and application appeared in the centerspread of Superman #1, and given that Superman wouldn't even appear on the cover of Action Comics for another four issues, I highly doubt that there was an official fan club in place by August 1938.

I'm new to these boards, so please forgive me if my request is out of place, but could someone post scans from the last pages of the Superman stories from Action Comics #s 1-4? I'm curious to see what ads really appeared at the end of these stories.

Thanks! smile.gif

I know the ads are different. But can't recall whether it was fan club or newspaper that was pitched in action 2. But as I recall I believe it was action 2 that depicted superman on a cover of action comics. And superman 1 which had a more colorful backrgound. Action 2 had I think more than one image of supe in the ad. Boy, trying to recall from memory is straining my synapses. My action 2 is unslabbed, so I could check it -- if it were not in a vault.

I know the ads are different. But as I recall I believe it was action 2 that depicted superman on a cover of action comics. And superman 1 which had a more colorful background. Action 2 had I think more than one image of supe in the ad.

bluechip,

Your last sentence above is correct. I re-read my Action #2. 1/3 page bottom ad states,

" Attn: All American youth ... Action Comics ... Don't miss an issue" with cover pic of Action Comics and shirtless Superman. hi.gif

I know the ads are different. But as I recall I believe it was action 2 that depicted superman on a cover of action comics. And superman 1 which had a more colorful background. Action 2 had I think more than one image of supe in the ad.

bluechip,

Your last sentence above is correct. I re-read my Action #2. 1/3 page bottom ad states,

" Attn: All American youth ... Action Comics ... Don't miss an issue" with cover pic of Action Comics and shirtless Superman. hi.gif

So I did remember right. As I further recall the superman on action comics cover was very crudely drawn but looked somewhat like the action 7 cover would six months later --= not too surprising since the image from action 1 cover came from the action 1 story -- right at the pint where it cliffhangered into action 2. I would bet the image for action 7 cover was originally intended (by siegfel and shuster anyway) for action 2.