• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE PACIFIC COAST COLLEXN............

50 posts in this topic

one wonders if the OO rues his decision for selling b4 cgc came along

im sure roter rues selling alot of the marvels b4 cgc started

confused-smiley-013.gif The poor guy only left gazillions on the table by selling his vintage just a little prematurely- I surely would like to at least see his name attached to the collection someday for his troubles!

confused-smiley-013.gif The poor guy only left gazillions on the table by selling his vintage just a little prematurely- I surely would like to at least see his name attached to the collection someday for his troubles!

Perhaps he wants to be anonymous so that he's not being called daily by collectors (such as myself) to see what he still has left.

My understanding is that the OO was not some Edgar Church Jr. who had no idea what the books were worth. He knew what the value of his books was at the time he sold them, as apparently both Roter and Hanlin "discovered" him by buying off him on eBay. I think the PC OO got a pretty good deal by the standards of the time when he unloaded his collection to Roter and Hanlin. It was just his bad timing (and to a degree Roter's bad timing) that the slabbed market came into existence shortly afterwards and prices exploded. Considering the guy paid cover price for most of his books, I think he did okay for himself.

Perhaps he wants to be anonymous so that he's not being called daily by collectors (such as myself) to see what he still has left.

My understanding is that the OO was not some Edgar Church Jr. who had no idea what the books were worth. He knew what the value of his books was at the time he sold them, as apparently both Roter and Hanlin "discovered" him by buying off him on eBay. I think the PC OO got a pretty good deal by the standards of the time when he unloaded his collection to Roter and Hanlin. It was just his bad timing (and to a degree Roter's bad timing) that the slabbed market came into existence shortly afterwards and prices exploded. Considering the guy paid cover price for most of his books, I think he did okay for himself.

That's a pretty good point... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i'm not saying Roter screwed him- it's just too bad the amount of $$$ that slipped away from him. Todays value of these books could have made a real difference in his life!

wow they made the transaction over ebay. Had i started buying books over ebay early on instead of basketball cards I could have met the OO. foreheadslap.gif I just got my first PC book last week. Its an X-men 50 CGC 9.0 thumbsup2.gif

wow they made the transaction over ebay.

Not exactly. My understanding is they each bought a few books from him off ebay, and when they saw how nice they were they inquired whether he had anything else. And then they realized they had just found the proverbial tip of a huge freakin' iceberg. The vast majority of the collection was sold in private deals (most to Roter, some to Hanlin), I believe.

I just remembered that Steve Borock (and probably some other guys at CGC) also knows who the OO is, because as I understand it Tom Hanlin had to "present" him to CGC to get CGC to recognize the collection as a pedigree.

HI All: To answer some questions from what I know.

The OO read all the books and could recite most story lines from memory.

He kept them in stacks around his home.

Sold books even after CGC came to be.

Thought Roter's grading was strange.

I believe the he sold books to others on ebay.

A very nice person who if he wanted the recognition would have come forward by now.

If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Best, Tom

Tim:

When I first contacted the OO via ebay he had already consumated his deal with Roter. If he had not I would have tried to buy the collection and paid more than PCE. The OO LMK how much he received for the books.

I bought doubles from the collection that he withheld from RR.

The sheet hit the fan when I submitted an X-men 1 PC. Borock told me that even though he could tell the books were from the same collection CGC could not certify them PC. It graded 9.6 White Pgs. It is now the one that Doug has in his vault as a 9.8 White PC.

RR threatened to sue CGC if they certified the books that I had PC.

Doug Schmell got involved and CGC certified the books with the PC label only after I submitted a list to CGC.

That's all for now.

Best, Tom

tom

thnx 4 contributing

thats exactly in the info i was interested in

if he read those books, he mustve been EXTREMELY careful to retain their condition or did he have duplicate copies?

do u knwo how old he is?

what he did /does for a job?

so, it looks like he was def . a collector who enjoyed the stories

winnipegs were discovered by dan greenhlagh of Showcase new england comics

dan bought the enitre collexn in 1996 from the OO's joseph krolic and another guy, sorry cant remember his name

the entire collexn isnt as high quality as the gold standard PC's but its certainly high grade

the earlier marvels arent as high grade but the later silver and bronze are exceptional

the PQ is also excellent with mainly ow/w ,white pages

Ben,

Actually, the early SA books from the Winnipeg collection were extremely nice and many would have graded 9.4. The CGC downgraded at least one quarter grade for the name (OO's) on the cover in pen. Too bad as some of those books were truly spectacular. The BA and Modern stuff are mind boggling. Most are 9.6-9.8 withsnow white pages. I still have 6 out of the 9 long boxes I bought from Dan, all stuffed to the max with these BA and modern Winnipegs. I'll be getting them graded over the next few months (3 long boxes worth for now).

Best collection I ever bought. Still remember that day driving home with the initial horde of the SA Marvels in late 1996. Can't believe it's over 10 years ago already. What does the friggin' time go?