• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Losing the grade

4 posts in this topic

I have never submitted any of my CGC books to be signed and transferred over to the SS label. I am doing so right now and have this question which I believe I already know the answer to but regardless....

A friend of mine who is also a collaberator of Gene Colan is taking my 68 Iron Man #1 CGC 9.8 to be signed by Gene next week at the NY Con. I decided to do this because 1. I'm a huge Gene Colan fan and 2. there are no IM1 SS books in that grade. I'm sure that several will pop up next month though.

My question is, what are the odds that the book will lose its 9.8 grade due to the signing? Also, how does this process work? Do they crack the slab open right there, have him sign it and then send it back to the CGC for encapsulation again? I was curious about the process and cracked open one of my own CGC books, (a cheap one at $25) and learned that there is another heat sealed plastic sleeve in the plastic case. I am aware that all you vets already know this but I'm just saying... so next I started to get the comic out of that heat sealed sleeve and it wasn't that easy.

Here is an interesting thing I learned for those concerned about fraud. I managed to split the case open with just my fingers and the break was clean. Perfect. Maybe I was just lucky, but when I closed the two halves again, I could not tell that the case had been opened. I probably could have super glued the thing shut at the corners. I'm sure the CGC has ways to tell though.

So thanks for reading and if anyone has a handle on high grade Cerebus, Bone or Vampirellas, thats what I'm after.

>>I have never submitted any of my CGC books to be signed and transferred over to the SS label. I am doing so right now and have this question which I believe I already know the answer to but regardless....

>>A friend of mine who is also a collaberator of Gene Colan is taking my 68 Iron Man #1 CGC 9.8 to be signed by Gene next week at the NY Con. I decided to do this because 1. I'm a huge Gene Colan fan and 2. there are no IM1 SS books in that grade. I'm sure that several will pop up next month though.

>>My question is, what are the odds that the book will lose its 9.8 grade due to the signing?

Anytime a book is removed from encapsulation for resubmission it runs the risk of the grade changing.

>>Also, how does this process work? Do they crack the slab open right there, have him sign it and then send it back to the CGC for encapsulation again?

When Gene is signing and confirmed to be there, your friend needs to bring the book to the CGC booth and an experienced member of the CGC staff will remove it from the holder and we'll place it in a mylar with the center cut out so the book will be protected while it is off to be signed.

Is your friend as Signature Series Witness? If not, one needs to be present at the signing in order for it to qualify as Signature Series.

>> I was curious about the process and cracked open one of my own CGC books, (a cheap one at $25) and learned that there is another heat sealed plastic sleeve in the plastic case. I am aware that all you vets already know this but I'm just saying... so next I started to get the comic out of that heat sealed sleeve and it wasn't that easy.

Removing the book from the inner well can be difficult sometimes. This is why we recommend that someone from CGC do it as they've done that hundreds or thousands of times, depending on the person.