• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So if you bought a CGC 7.5 Blue label sight unseen and THIS showed up...

47 posts in this topic

It looks beautiful, but with the cover popped off, not sure what the deal is with 7.5. I guess it depends on what you paid.

I haven't bought it yet, but it was offered to me for $650. There's a few defects that don't bother me, but a completely detached front cover on a VF- would drive me nuts. frown.gif

It looks beautiful, but with the cover popped off, not sure what the deal is with 7.5. I guess it depends on what you paid.

I haven't bought it yet, but it was offered to me for $650. There's a few defects that don't bother me, but a completely detached front cover on a VF- would drive me nuts. frown.gif

Me too.

Would you be ticked off? Note the CGC notes on the label.

Ok, that particular issue of Zip is a GREAT book. These issues rarely show up in nice shape, and they'd sell for above Guide when they do.

I'll probably be in the minority here, but if I already didn't have a nice copy...I wouldn't hesitate to take it at that price (especially with the nice page quality), even if it's not a blue 7.5.

Oh, the CGC label is wrong in another area too; that's not an Irv Novick cover, it's by Bob Montana (note his signature in the bottom right hand corner of the chalk board).

STEVE

I'd return the book... via the anus. sumo.gif

That reminds me of the time I bought a Marvel Mystery 30 from a big dealer in Iowa. I called him to have him run through the defects. He somehow missed the detached staple and spotted ink flecks in the logo during a twenty minute conversation. Is this worth losing all the collector's future business?

Maybe I'm sleepy, but I don't even understand the notation. "Staples detached from front cover only" implies to me that there are staples attached to the back cover. Otherwise, why specify front followed by the qualifier only ?

That's a beautiful copy of a scarce MLJ, but how do you miss a Montana cover like that? CGC should be ashamed. They've screwed up on the label and the cover artist. However....I'd still get the book hoping that they haven't missed anything else, especially on the inside. Does that help?

Would you be ticked off? Note the CGC notes on the label.

Ok, that particular issue of Zip is a GREAT book. These issues rarely show up in nice shape, and they'd sell for above Guide when they do.

I'll probably be in the minority here, but if I already didn't have a nice copy...I wouldn't hesitate to take it at that price (especially with the nice page quality), even if it's not a blue 7.5.

Oh, the CGC label is wrong in another area too; that's not an Irv Novick cover, it's by Bob Montana (note his signature in the bottom right hand corner of the chalk board).

STEVE

Great looking book - unlike many here i could live with a detached cover on a sweet looking book if the price was right- I don't know what FMV is on that book - but unless a solid 4.0-5.0 copy costs the same, I'd pass.

Thinking about CGC 7.5s with staple issues, I was checking out Metros sight the other day, and saw they had a Mystic Comics #6 CGC 7.5 - when I popped up the scan it was clear that the staples were not only rusted, but bleeding onto the cover 893whatthe.gif. To Metro's credit they had it priced at about guide - I'm guessing it would have been higher if the CGC grade were less questionable.

..... "staples detached from front cover only" is a smoke and mirrors cover up for "front cover detached"? How the hell can this book or any book with a detached from it staples front cover be a VF- ???confused-smiley-013.gif. Sounds like the front and rear cover are still attached to each other as one piece, but the front cover is not stapled to the front of the book, and the back cover is still stapled to the back of the book? I have sent in gorgeous books with a 1" spine split, and they come back as 4.5 VG+ max.

I hope this doesn't wreck your enthusiasm over this book Shield flowerred.gif, but I'm sure the 7.5 grade is driving up the price for you, and if you bought it and ever went to sell....there will be another thread started just like this one.

Very attractive book, so for $650 I'm sure you'd be OK. You know how rare it is to find any unrestored MLJ that looks this nice...most Zips I see are VG at best, not that I see alot of Zips due to their scarcity. Just annoying to see CGC call a chicken a rooster...they are not fooling anyone 893naughty-thumb.gif. But to have a book that nice looking for $650....sounds like you can't go wrong ( especially since you can pay with your larger than expected Marvel Mystery sales $$ from last week wink.gif)

This may be a good book to crack out and place in Mylar...that way the label won't drive you crazy...all you will see is a very attractive, tough to find book. thumbsup2.gif

..... "staples detached from front cover only" is a smoke and mirrors cover up for "front cover detached". How the hell can this book or any book with a detached front cover be a VF- ???confused-smiley-013.gif. thumbsup2.gif

My first impression was I don't know what "staples detached from front cover only" means, and I hope it means something other than cover detached otherwise this is pure BS on CGC's part. I would call and have someone clarify from graders' notes.

If this is a book simply with the cover detached, it's getting increasingly clear that the meaning of grades and comments varies significantly depending on the book; now we not only have to guess the grading criteria, we need to guess how it applies to different books, based on era, pedigree, publisher, scarcity, market value, historical significance, and prob other things.