• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So if you bought a CGC 7.5 Blue label sight unseen and THIS showed up...

47 posts in this topic

Maybe I'm sleepy, but I don't even understand the notation. "Staples detached from front cover only" implies to me that there are staples attached to the back cover. Otherwise, why specify front followed by the qualifier only ?

I agree, I'm pretty positive the cover is NOT detached.

I just re-read the original question that started this thread and yes, if I bought that sight unseen, I would have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I opened the package and first saw the book. Is it possible that this happened when CGC was handling it, or during the encapsulation process? Is it possible that the staples went all the way through the book, so that they are actually holding the back cover on? Was the person who submitted the book to CGC a "preferred" client?

My guess is it should have been a green label 7.5 and someone in quality control screwed up.

That's an old style label. Did the green label even exist back then?

Yes. In fact, the green label was assigned far more often in the first year or two than it is today.

I'm not sure, but I think I might understand the notation. I have a book with a slight spine roll, so the staples are slightly on the FC like this one. Both staples have vertical tears along the right side of both staples so that when you open the front cover it comes off the staples. There is still paper under the staple though so the cover is still attached. It seems as though someone opened the cover too far and caused the tears along the right edge of the staple. I'm not sure I described that very well and I don't have the book in my possession at the moment or I would take a picture. Now the grade is another matter; even under the above scenario 7.5 would seem too high to me, although it should not be penalized as much as a book with the cover completely detached. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not sure, but I think I might understand the notation. I have a book with a slight spine roll, so the staples are slightly on the FC like this one. Both staples have vertical tears along the right side of both staples so that when you open the front cover it comes off the staples. There is still paper under the staple though so the cover is still attached. It seems as though someone opened the cover too far and caused the tears along the right edge of the staple. I'm not sure I described that very well and I don't have the book in my possession at the moment or I would take a picture. Now the grade is another matter; even under the above scenario 7.5 would seem too high to me, although it should not be penalized as much as a book with the cover completely detached. confused-smiley-013.gif

Let's say the cover "popped" right through those staples w/out any tears at all, just clean slits. I could see that getting a 7.5 if the rest of the book was super nice.

Let's say the cover "popped" right through those staples w/out any tears at all, just clean slits. I could see that getting a 7.5 if the rest of the book was super nice.

That's basically what I was trying to describe - clean vertical slits on the right side of the staples, though mine has slight 1/16" horizontal tears at the top and bottom of the staples where the cover was opened too far. I'm scared to open it again quite frankly.

FWIW ..

Staple pulls and spine splits are very bothersome to me personally .. neither of which are sometimes apparent when the book is "locked up" in its case .. know that grading is subjective, but to me they are no better than Very Good Plus with these sorts of problems, since they affect reading (oh my God yes!) the book reliably without worry of further damage to the book (ie fragility) ..

Insofar as to resto for these problems .. re-attachment and sealing makes sense to me, but from an investment point of view its apparently the kiss of death .. so beware ..

Off my soapbox now ..

FWIW ..

Staple pulls and spine splits are very bothersome to me personally .. neither of which are sometimes apparent when the book is "locked up" in its case .. know that grading is subjective, but to me they are no better than Very Good Plus with these sorts of problems, since they affect reading (oh my God yes!) the book reliably without worry of further damage to the book (ie fragility) ..

Insofar as to resto for these problems .. re-attachment and sealing makes sense to me, but from an investment point of view its apparently the kiss of death .. so beware ..

Off my soapbox now ..

I am in agreement, Detatched cover equalls no better than VG+ to maybe VG/FN in my book. I don't care how nice, a qualified with a small hit would be ok, but not blue label. If I purchased this book not aware, I would not be happy about paying on a high grade and getting less than. If the book was for all gerneral purposes a VF to VF/NM and lets say had a 2 inch tear in back cover, I would be ok with a blue and a small hit on grade and a note on label, but detatched cover, no way not cool in HMO.

I take it that if this was graded today it would not fetch a green label? Very confusing?

A42metro.jpg

The cover on this book is completely detached, the cover of the Zip is still attached (apparently by little little slivers of paper wedged under the staples). In other words, it looks like CGC graded the Zip as if it had 2 clean tears on the cover, one at each staple.

Great looking Zip though, wouldn't bother me too much at that price. thumbsup2.gif

My guess is it should have been a green label 7.5 and someone in quality control screwed up.

At what grade level does it revert to a green label when a staple or two is detached from the cover? 6.0 and above?

I have a recently graded book that got a Green Label 5.5 for having the cover detached.

At what grade level does it revert to a green label when a staple or two is detached from the cover? 6.0 and above?

I have a recently graded book that got a Green Label 5.5 for having the cover detached.

There must be a threshold as my blue label Marvel Mystery Comics #4 is a CGC 2.5 and the cover is detached.

So I'm wondering if this flaw would even be mentioned on the new labels, given that generally speaking they err on the side of less info.

It wouldnt... my Phantom lady 14 which i cracked was a regular blue new label with no notations at all, and it resembles the flaws described, FC stables detached or popped through the cover, but cover fully attached... it wasnt a 7.5 though confused.gif