• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats lowest grade you's accept on a sig series book?

47 posts in this topic

Everyone has standards they would accept on an unsigned book but what about a Sig series book?

I know most people would accept a lower grade on a book with a book but do you have a limit?

Golden Age?

Silver Age?

Bronze Age?

Copper Age?

Modern Age?

I can't even understand the mentality of a collector that would submit a vf GA or nm SA or nm BA comic for Signature Series. Most hi-grade collectors don't want any marks/date/store stamps on their front covers -- now will they accept a signature scrawled over their front covers in black or silver Sharpie?

For GA Signature Series, I accept vg or lower -- even down to coverless. gossip.gif

This is a good question, and I suspect as we're already seeing, you're going to get a wide range of answers.

For me, the answer is-- the highest grade I can get. I just submitted an X-Men 58 that's in 8.0/8.5 territory. It has nice eye appeal. And it's going to have 3 sigs making it one of the favorites in my collection.

By the same token, I'm going to get some low grade keys done shortly as well. I'll not be, at least not in the next 10 years, owning a VF or NM copy of Daredevil 1, Fantastic Four 48, etc. I do, however, own a 2.5 DD1 that looks like a 4.5 from the cover and a 4.0 Fantastic Four 48 that displays well. I'm planning to get them both signed. They'll be unique and I'll love them more than I already do.

So, I guess the short answer is that for me it's really a monetary question. Whatever the highest grade I can afford is the grade I want. That said, if I could afford NM copies of the major keys, I would not hesitate to get them signed and slabbed. For me, the signatures make them more valuable. I think the argument that signatures devalue the books is silly. Because if I did buy them off the newstand in the 60s, and I'd had the opportunity to get the autographed back then, I would have. So what, from my p-o-v, is the difference?

Oy-- I'm starting to get the SS bug bad. These really are the most unique books on the market, and you can do darn near anything you want within your collection with them.

It depends on the sig...if its a Stan Lee for instance, any grade all the way down to .5 on any book would be cool. But if its an easier to get sig where I know the signer attends just about every major Con, than Id seek the highest grade.

Silver Age? 7.5

Bronze Age? 9.0

Copper Age? 9.2

Modern Age? 9.6

I had a copy of this book signed by Wolfman at Dragon Con and it came back a 9.2. The only option in my mind was give it to my friend sine he doesn't care about the grade. Sometimes I hate these boards for turning me into a high grade snob.

1642228-InfiniteCrisisSF001.jpg

1642228-InfiniteCrisisSF001.jpg.bbde517a063c30e3f5c82455fd9d52ea.jpg

So would it be worth it to get Neal Adams to Sig this book

1631419-GreenLantern77_2.jpg

It would make a cool SS book! cloud9.gif

I'm figuring its about a 7.0 or so

looks higher...any major defects?

You guys are a lot more picky than me. 27_laughing.gif My lowest graded SS book is a 2.0 copy of ASM #1 signed by Stan Lee. It really isn't a bad looking book at all (I've seen books at 3.0 or even 3.5 that looked worse) & I'm happy to have it. thumbsup2.gif

Anything under 9.4 is a waste sumo.gif

stooges.gif

You guys are a lot more picky than me. 27_laughing.gif My lowest graded SS book is a 2.0 copy of ASM #1 signed by Stan Lee. It really isn't a bad looking book at all (I've seen books at 3.0 or even 3.5 that looked worse) & I'm happy to have it. thumbsup2.gif

Take away the water damage on that book, and it's VF. Spine is.... cloud9.gif