• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Extreme case of Shaken Comic Syndrome?

23 posts in this topic

....hey,...but on the bright side the holder is in perfect condition,...and with a little spot pressing that puppy could be a 9.2,.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah - who gives a poo about the contents..., the holder is a 9.2, babeee....,!!!! headbang.gif

Which begs the question, can GS books be sealed in the inner wells with the tapered edge?

There was some concern about the sealed edge inner wells creating staple stress... that's certainly not an issue with a glued squarebound.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gif

I feel sorry for the winner...the guy is probably taking the CGC grade literally and is unaware of SCS...

Jim

Maybe he figures that if he can buy the label, he can sell the label (although he has no history as a seller).

I sure wouldn't pay almost 500 smackers for that!

Jack

893whatthe.gif

I feel sorry for the winner...the guy is probably taking the CGC grade literally and is unaware of SCS...

Jim

Maybe he figures that if he can buy the label, he can sell the label (although he has no history as a seller).

Jack

He could also be thinking this book would make a good "crack/press/resub" candidate.

I recently purchased a Where Monsters Dwell # 15 that exhibited some SCS as soon as I unpacked it. Sure enough, the book was sliding around in the well, certainly leaving it vulnerable to a jarring impact. This, depsite the fact that the seller packed it extremely well and that the package displayed no signs of unusual handling or damage. What was a 9.4 is now...well, maybe a 8.5/9.0. Of course, with a little press and a reslab, I can get it back as a 9.4....but the expense would be more then the book is worth to begin with.

I contacted the seller to ask a few questions. Turns out they are the original submitter, and that the book has made only two cross-country trips while slabbed, first from CGC to California and from California to me in Florida. And it was slabbed very recently. It doesn't take much really when the book is allowed to move freely in the well like that.

In my opinion, CGC has never addressed this problem adequately. I probably only get one SCSed book every six months or so, but that's still too high of a ratio for my taste.

In my opinion, CGC has never addressed this problem adequately. I probably only get one SCSed book every six months or so, but that's still too high of a ratio for my taste.

As a matter of practice, I now always ask about Slab Damage for any book 8.0 or above. This way, at the least, I can be sure that it happened in shipping to me rather than wonder if the seller fobbed off damaged good to me. And label be damned, I do consider books with slab damage damaged goods.

That said, I really don't know what one could ask of a seller when the book is damaged this way in shipment. All the bubble wrap in the world will not necessarily prevent slab damage when the book is very loose in the shell.

confused-smiley-013.gif

But that's ok, those problems can be pressed out.

I don't know... those impacts looks severe enough to have broken the surface of the paper. You might be able to press it flat, but there still could be residual crescent crease marks.

confused-smiley-013.gif

893whatthe.gif

Jim

Jack

He could also be thinking this book would make a good "crack/press/resub" candidate.

Not for the price it went for. The price paid suggests someone was reading the label than looking at the actual book...

Jim