• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Extreme case of Shaken Comic Syndrome?

23 posts in this topic

Which begs the question, can GS books be sealed in the inner wells with the tapered edge?

There was some concern about the sealed edge inner wells creating staple stress... that's certainly not an issue with a glued square bound.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

While I am surprised CGC went ahead and slabbed the book because they have been pretty good about returning books with severe overhang, perhaps it was because the overhang on this GS is not pre chipped, or brittle , therefor limiting the chance of a piece breaking off inside the well (which is among the main reasons for not slabbing severe overhang books?)

And I agree w/Zipp, what are the downsides, (if any) in placing a Square bound books inside a tapered edged seam sealed inner well? No matter if it is SA or Modern. Possible rubbing/wear damage along the SB edge against the tapered seam?

I imagine the answer can be had with a simple phone call. Anybody got a spare dime?

Ze-

In my opinion, CGC has never addressed this problem adequately. I probably only get one SCSed book every six months or so, but that's still too high of a ratio for my taste.

Bingo. CGC has basically said to me that applying too much pressure of the book would create torn paper at the staples, and that they would rather have the SCS problem than torn paper at the staples. PGX doesn't have this problem because they are applying pressure to the book...anyone have a PGX book with torn paper at the staples?

They have addressed this at the Modern level...not at Economy levels b/c of varying comic sizes and page counts...and ironically b/c of the value.

This would be a good topic for the liason team to bring up...again.

This would be a good topic for the liason team to bring up...again.

Here, here. Seconded.

This has been a problem for waaaaaaay too long.

The number of books that display some sort of damage from impacting the rails of the inner well is ridiculous, and is the primary reason (not micro-trimming, not pressing) that I have cut down my slab investment by over 75% during the last year. frustrated.gif