• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do? Help a guy out...

29 posts in this topic

disassembly isn't considered restoration, per Borock, so maybe find out how much it would be to take it apart in order to tuck that wee piece of paper up under the staple prior to submitting it. if the cost of doing so is cheap enough, heck, you could get the work done and have the restoration expert submit it for you

confused-smiley-013.gif

100% send it back. I think it is always going to bug you if you keep it and ruin your enjoyment of a book you really like.
You think so? One just sold blue 4.5 on eBay for $1400. This was my fall back after missing out on that one. The eBay book was over graded and had a 1/8 inch tall 1 inch long chip out of the cover.

This cover is nice. The book is much brighter than my ancient HP 2600 C can do justice to. It's just the freaking popped staple. I would have paid $900 no questions asked. But what are the chances I'll find an unrestored copy in the next two years? Five? I've been looking since I started collecting Gerber cover covers two years ago.

Sounds like you're keeping the book anyway.

Assuming your beef is valid, I'd try this:

Dear (Seller):

I'm seriously considering returning this book for a refund, because although I like this particular issue, the nature of this transaction isn't sitting well with me. I'd be happy if we could reach some sort of fair agreement regarding a partial refund, and make this an amicable deal for both of us.

then take whatever he offers and be done. Sounds like you just don't want the stigma of the deal coloring your feeling for the book, so if the seller cooperates just a little that should help.

If he doesn't offer anything, neg him cruelly such that others fear anything bought off of him will be misrepresented.

Plus I would keep it in a mylar, no slab.

disassembly isn't considered restoration, per Borock, so maybe find out how much it would be to take it apart in order to tuck that wee piece of paper up under the staple prior to submitting it. if the cost of doing so is cheap enough, heck, you could get the work done and have the restoration expert submit it for you

confused-smiley-013.gif

good idea

confused-smiley-013.gif

yeahok.gif Is that kosher? And could I live with myself?

And does it cost less than $50? tongue.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

yeahok.gif Is that kosher? And could I live with myself?

And does it cost less than $50? tongue.gif

why couldn't you live with yourself? aren't you keeping the book? if CGC doesn't consider it purple label-worthy, then it's not as if you're trying to sneak one over on them, right?

if you were to sell it, you'd just need to disclose the fact that you had the book disassembled in order to fix the staple pop.

what's the problem?

why couldn't you live with yourself? aren't you keeping the book? if CGC doesn't consider it purple label-worthy, then it's not as if you're trying to sneak one over on them, right?
I'd be a bit of a hypocrite since I consider that restoration. But it's not as if I'd ask them to put a purple label on it. "No no gents. This book has been conserved."

if you were to sell it, you'd just need to disclose the fact that you had the book disassembled in order to fix the staple pop.
Hard to do if it was in a blue label but I would.

And looks what's back on eBay...

surprise

That's a DIFFERENT one! Maybe I should offer him $1100, then get it and return the other one. smile.gif

Oh wait, This is Pops. *spoon*. Has anyone ever had an above-board transaction with them???