• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HEAD ON--apply directly to the wallet!

35 posts in this topic

Is anyone else shaking their head over the spate of PACIFIC COAST copies of lesser (meaning "uncollectible"!) titles that pop up from time to time in high grade slabs at (what seem to me) head scratchingly high unrealistic prices???? Its like when I see PACIFIC COAST over and over again ---- I hear HEAD ON, HEAD ON and I GET a headache.

Does anyone think a Tales of the Unexpected in the #80s is a $750 book in 9.6... or worse $1500 in 9.8? granted, the multiples method dictates these price levels, but ... seriously???? A show of hands for everyone out there filling in your TOTU HG run salivating on getting these puppies home!

anyone?

sign-rantpost.gif

What the heck am I doing collectible horror books...I might as well be purchasing different brands of toilet paper. foreheadslap.gif

To be fair Rotor's prices were high...so I'd expect anyone who bought the books to also have a high price when they sell. Also, although TOTU (as most "horror" during the SA) is cheesy, those issues in HG don't come along often. Prices, high...but who is he harming by testing the market?

Is anyone else shaking their head over the spate of PACIFIC COAST copies of lesser (meaning "uncollectible"!) titles that pop up from time to time in high grade slabs at (what seem to me) head scratchingly high unrealistic prices???? Its like when I see PACIFIC COAST over and over again ---- I hear HEAD ON, HEAD ON and I GET a headache.

Does anyone think a Tales of the Unexpected in the #80s is a $750 book in 9.6... or worse $1500 in 9.8? granted, the multiples method dictates these price levels, but ... seriously???? A show of hands for everyone out there filling in your TOTU HG run salivating on getting these puppies home!

anyone?

sign-rantpost.gif

My experience has been when someone is pointing out how high priced someone else's items are...is that they are interested in the books themselves poke2.gifshy.gif

Case in point...this is just ridiculous:

Superman 110 on Comiclink

I want that book like you don't know, but that price is out of line.

Those PC books are so beautiful, even a B title like TOTU look sweet. flowerred.gif

pricing on books usually works out when there are copies in all the grade levels... but it gets wacky when the best graded is an 8.0 or 8.5 and the seller adds Highest graded bump of 3x or 4x on top. I can see it for an important book... say, if there are only a handful better than 7.0 and the best (looks like it) will always be the 8.5. but not for a filler issue that probably sits on top temporarily.

PC is the church equivalent of the silver age and they are to my knowledge the SA pedigree getting the highest premiums.

For the same grade, Curators usually get a higher price than PCs. gossip.gif

And of course I should point out that it was a Western Penn copy of Flash 139 that achieved 30X of Guide recently.

The Superman 110 will maybe never (or not for a very, very long time) have a issue grade out at 9.4, but a 9.0 is very possible, even a 9.2, so that price is crazy. It may realistically be worth about $350-375. But for now it is the highest graded, and the seller wants a insane premium for bragging rights. Better to wait, although it may be years, before another is graded as high if not higher, And then who knows if it will even hit the market, but just on principle I would not pay that price.

yeah. I was thinking of those and all the other PC copies that have shown up for sale just recently at pricing levels based solely on the number on the label and noyt the books within. I think the prices are high on the GLs, but at least there must be people collecting the title in HG.....

yeah. I was thinking of those and all the other PC copies that have shown up for sale just recently at pricing levels based solely on the number on the label and noyt the books within. I think the prices are high on the GLs, but at least there must be people collecting the title in HG.....

Im trying to put a HG run of GL together, but c'mon, people, these are non-key issues, of a lower A list title. I just cant see them being worth anywhere near what the folks are asking for the books.

But, they are theirs to set at whatever price they so choose. confused-smiley-013.gif

There is a run of SA Green Lantern Pac Coasts on CLink that are insanely priced. II cant remember which ones, but they are in the 50-60 range and while 9.4/6 books are sweet, iirc one had an asking price of $1500 on it 893whatthe.gif

I suspect at least some of these listings (and other recent PC listings) may be Roter himself.

I agree. HG runs just may no longer be worth it. But, maybe books are still cheap overall?? who knows.

As soon as you get out of the 9.4 range, most SA books, especially from the mid-60s, are very affordable.