• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So i just bought my first piece of OA and was wondering..

14 posts in this topic

what you all think ? grin.gif

X-men

i am having difficulties estimating the FMV of this so would like some opinons on.

1) the art itself

2) the price i paid for it? reasonable for Action packed CA X-men pages by fairly well established artists ? confused-smiley-013.gif

3) how much (if any) would you think the stains detract from the value? is it a no-go among OA collectors to buy pages with small stains?

You determined FMV when you bought it. You can also argue that you could sell it right now to the underbidder for FMV

stains are no big deal unless they significantly detract from the art. Yours is not the case.

Malvin

X-men

i am having difficulties estimating the FMV of this so would like some opinons on.

1) the art itself

2) the price i paid for it? reasonable for Action packed CA X-men pages by fairly well established artists ? confused-smiley-013.gif

3) how much (if any) would you think the stains detract from the value? is it a no-go among OA collectors to buy pages with small stains?

1) the art itself

Very nice piece. Main popular characters doin some damage is always a plus.

2) the price i paid for it? reasonable for Action packed CA X-men pages by fairly well established artists ?

In all honesty, if you feel like you will be missing the money once its gone, then you spent too much. If you totally forget what you just spent a week later, then you did fine. When I look back at all the $ I put into it, I partially can't believe it, but then I don't wish I had the money back either......

If it has stains but is a great piece, who cares, although I would try to get a price reduction if it was a private sale. Some people do treat stains as a price deterent. It was the only reason I got a nice Jim Lee Uncanny page for an affordable price.

Great job on the auction! thumbsup2.gif

The Inferno Saga stuff is a divisive storyline amongst readers, but I didn't mind it at all. Marc Silverstri pencils, Dan Green inks. Wolverine in action. Character + action pages from this era run from $250 to $500+. I think you paid a fair price.

1) the art itself

I think it's a nice page! Good action, major characters, by an established and popular artist. The best part? It's a page that YOU like.

2) the price i paid for it? reasonable for Action packed CA X-men pages by fairly well established artists ?

I don't know the market for Marc Silvestri/Dan Green pages, but $415 for a page of art that you really, really like is not too much. Especially compared to the price of the stuff I like. tongue.gif

Stains don't bother me too much -- but on this page I think they are a little distracting -- and there's the glue stain from the missing word balloon. The good news is that restoration is not considered taboo in OA like it is for comics. Restoration is actually conservation for a one-of-a-kind piece of art. You could have this page de-yellowed and have the glue stains removed, and you could have a letterer or artist recreate the missing dialog balloon if you wanted. Something to consider if you ever decide to sell the piece, or if you just want to clean it up.

Bottom line: NICE PICKUP! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the answers. It is a page that i like, which i agree is the most important. My reason for asking the questions is that i consider giving it as my birthday present to my brother in May, he is a modern comics reader/collector, an avid X-men fan (especially CA-modern) and love artists like Silvestri, Jim lee, Larocca, and wolverine is one of his favorite characters. He doesnt have any other OA.

Maybe when i receive it i will like it too much and keep it for myself, but i think i will pass it on as my present.

Thanks for the answers. It is a page that i like, which i agree is the most important. My reason for asking the questions is that i consider giving it as my birthday present to my brother in May, he is a modern comics reader/collector, an avid X-men fan (especially CA-modern) and love artists like Silvestri, Jim lee, Larocca, and wolverine is one of his favorite characters. He doesnt have any other OA.

Maybe when i receive it i will like it too much and keep it for myself, but i think i will pass it on as my present.

That's a mighty nice thing to do. You need a half-brother? 27_laughing.gif

That's a mighty nice thing to do. You need a half-brother? 27_laughing.gif

Nahh in additional to my "full" brother who is was refering to above, i allready have a halfbrother and halfsister.... but you can be my pen-pal shy.gifgrin.gif

Mad Dog that's a great piece!!! I too just bought my first OA 2 days before you. And I'm now waiting for 20 pieces to come in the mail as of today. We've opened a can of worms. Isn't it just a sweet feeling knowing that you're the only one with that one of kind piece!?!?! Congrats on the piece. thumbsup2.gif

X-men

1) the art itself

hail.gifhail.gif

That's a great first page, dog. Your'e of to a very good start. Do you like the page? If so, then forget that other stuff. This is OA not comics. There's no set rate for these things. You'll get use to that. It's worth as much as your'e willing to pay for it.

Dad and Son...20 pieces?! Man, you ain't wastin time are you? I think your'e in trouble lol.

Mad Dog that's a great piece!!! I too just bought my first OA 2 days before you. And I'm now waiting for 20 pieces to come in the mail as of today. We've opened a can of worms. Isn't it just a sweet feeling knowing that you're the only one with that one of kind piece!?!?! Congrats on the piece. thumbsup2.gif

Yes the unique feeling is what is compelling about OA... i might like it so much that i keep it and buy a poster for my brother instead 27_laughing.gif