• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was "The Greatest Golden Age Artist" in comics?

169 posts in this topic

Fine? confused-smiley-013.gif

There's no right or wrong answer. makepoint.gif

Certain people will have an affection for one's art over anothers.......but if you could only choose one, who would you choose? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It'll be interesting to see who picks who & why. thumbsup2.gif

flowerred.gif

popcorn.gif

As much as I love kirby's work I think it was Schomburg for action and Raboy for composition and style.

Both are fine choices.......but, if you could only give one the vote, who would you pick? confused-smiley-013.gif

popcorn.gif

As much as I love kirby's work I think it was Schomburg for action and Raboy for composition and style.

Both are fine choices.......but, if you could only give one the vote, who would you pick? confused-smiley-013.gif

popcorn.gif

Schomburg screams GA art. Gotta love the superplane cover to MM #44.

To help jog people's memory, based on all the votes for best cover here are the order they came out last year. Some are over represented because of the strong cover work they did but that's a pretty good starting list:

Schomburg

Kane

Ray

Raboy

Fine

Baker

Shuster

Baily

Kirby

Burnley

Avison

LB Cole

Robinson

Flessel

Jack Cole

Novick

Reinman

Beck

Sprang

Gustavson

Everett

Eisner

Montana

Filchock

Biro

Hibbard

Boring

Leblanc

Moldoff

Kamen

Sherman

Hasen

Plaisted

Wolverton

Reading it over, there are some obvious artist missing such as Crandall, Guardineer, Kelly, Barks, many of the EC gang, ...

I love Cole, Schomburg, O'Mealia, Raboy, Baker, Baily, Everett....

....but I think Lou Fine takes it.

Frazetta would win, but there just isn't enough material.

I myself lean towards him, body of work be damned!

Body of work shouldn't be included as a criteria, IMHO. Some fine artists were only briefly involved in comics: Frank R. Paul was only involved in the three Superworld books & the cover to Marvel Comics # 1. Virgil Finlay only had work in one comic, Mystery in Space # 19.

Their body of work rests in their pulp works, but they were there in the GA, so that counts in my book. thumbsup2.gif

Virgil Finlay only had work in one comic, Mystery in Space # 19

A total of 2 stories drawn for comics and several double-page spreads.

Body of work shouldn't be included as a criteria, IMHO. Some fine artists were only briefly involved in comics: Frank R. Paul was only involved in the three Superworld books & the cover to Marvel Comics # 1. Virgil Finlay only had work in one comic, Mystery in Space # 19.

Their body of work rests in their pulp works, but they were there in the GA, so that counts in my book. thumbsup2.gif

Fine's output wasn't that much greater than Frazetta (and it might be less as Frazetta worked in comics longer than Lou). Lou's work is more noticeable because of the greater number of covers that he did.

Virgil Finlay only had work in one comic, Mystery in Space # 19

A total of 2 stories drawn for comics and several double-page spreads.

893whatthe.gif

I learn something everyday! Did I miss an issue outside of Mystery in Space # 19?

popcorn.gif

Fine's output wasn't that much greater than Frazetta (and it might be less as Frazetta worked in comics longer than Lou). Lou's work is more noticeable because of the greater number of covers that he did.

I love these boards for this very reason: even when you think you are schooled, someone can prove you wrong. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yes, that's what I meant (I was thinking only in terms of cover output, shows my bias). Thanks for clearing that up. thumbsup2.gif

I love Flessel's cover work for the early Adventure, More Fun & Detective comics.

I agree Creig Flessel's golden age work is absolutely amazing. L.B. Cole would be my other choice.

The only thing about Cole's work for me is that it's the use of color (albiet excellent use of color) seems to define his work, at least to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

I love Flessel's cover work for the early Adventure, More Fun & Detective comics.

I agree Creig Flessel's golden age work is absolutely amazing. L.B. Cole would be my other choice.

The only thing about Cole's work for me is that it's the use of color (albiet excellent use of color) seems to define his work, at least to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

His cover layouts were also incredible. I can't think of ANY other artist who was able to draw the eye as well as Cole did. I can just imagine little kids in the 40s and 50s gravitating towards his covers.