• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Mega Con report

5 posts in this topic

I just don't know about this Con anymore - it has gotten really wacky in my opinion. They should probably have it around Halloween instead of winter as there were probably more costumed folks than uncostumed. I actually set up at the first 2 shows and sold books when it was at the old location and it was nothing like it is now. I would say that only about 25% - maybe less - of the dealers were selling comics. Lots and lots of manga and anime and toys and t-shirts. A live tatoo parlor even! Had a very anoying and giant exhibit with a guy selling all sorts of swords and wizard staffs - he had this contraption he constatnly banged to make noise and yelled like a carnival barker to get you to his tables. He was right across from Rich at bedrock and another nice guy named Bill from tampa - and I think by about 6 pm Friday, they were ready to take wizard staff guy for a trunk ride. Anyway my son and I got there about 2pm and it took about an hour to walk to the facility and buy tickets - not thrilling but we did get a good chance to check out the halloween party. There were some folks dressed like comic heroes - nothing seems sadder than a middle aged, overwieght guy stuffed in a batman outfit, also some some very over weight chicks dressed like poison ivy. Lots of star wars and gi joe guys too. Most of the teenage kids were dressed in costumes that I don't know waht they were - lots of makeup for the boys and girls- am guessing it was anime related. Found some decent stuff at the show but nothing to really further my cgc collection and saw no comics that were just off the hook. Overall, better to look on ebay or th online dealers as far as price and quality - but it is still fun to look for the possibility of what might pop up! Bought FF 136 and 139 in cgc 9.4 to fill some gaps and about $500 in raw books from Motor City and bedrock - mostly vf/nm late silver. Bought a lot of figures - got waves 3-5 of the Ross JLA figures. Some of the best figures around. Also found some of the latest marvel legends i needed - and the Modok set. Have really gotten into statues lately and have most everything i need except the Sideshow stuff. A couple dealers had the giant new Hulk but at about $200 more than on ebay. If you have not seen any of the Sideshow premium figures, you need to check them out - awesome stuff but fairly expensive. My son got soem neat star wars figures and JLA/Avengers mini set of books. Had a good time talking with the guys at Motorcity - they had a lot of pretty good golden age with them as did Heroes, Graham Crackers and Bedrock. That was the one area I noticed a big improvement in - probably the most nice Golden Age I had ever seen. I may to start getting into that. Anyway, have never been to any of the shows up north, and wonder if a lot of the cons are turning into these kind of mixed media, costume events. I kind of felt out of place. We left about 6:30 and it took about an hour and half to get back to the beach as the traffic on I4 was terrible as usual. My son had a great time and it was worth going if for nothing else to see the sights and talk with a few old timers.

Hey Rob --

Thanks for the report. Always nice to hear what's happening down in sunny Florida...

I'll be in NYC for the big con at Javits -- PM me if there's anything special on your want list for me to look for while I'm there. Take care --

Dan

You know - I couldn't even figure out how to spread my "report" into paragraphs! But my wife is all digital and stuff and have some pretty good pics and am going to try to get her to put up an avatar for me. It only took what - 5 years or so? And thanks for the offer Drummy I may indeed send a small list. Have been doing a lot of biz with old highgrade Bob lately though and will have him on the look out. In my opinion, Bob is one of the best people around to buy raw books from - and Ted at superworld.But Bob has been selling some of my dupes and 2nds so I can put some $$$ into other things. He will have some books of mine in Ny - Tos 41,49,52 9.0, X-men 6 and 7 9.2 and a Marv Spotlight 5 9.2 amongst other things!

You know - I couldn't even figure out how to spread my "report" into paragraphs! But my wife is all digital and stuff and have some pretty good pics and am going to try to get her to put up an avatar for me. It only took what - 5 years or so? And thanks for the offer Drummy I may indeed send a small list. Have been doing a lot of biz with old highgrade Bob lately though and will have him on the look out. In my opinion, Bob is one of the best people around to buy raw books from - and Ted at superworld.But Bob has been selling some of my dupes and 2nds so I can put some $$$ into other things. He will have some books of mine in Ny - Tos 41,49,52 9.0, X-men 6 and 7 9.2 and a Marv Spotlight 5 9.2 amongst other things!

Man, and to think the heaven you would've been in if you had stopped by Brent's booth. Maybe next year Rob!