• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age download site

57 posts in this topic

Everyone here may already know about this, but there's a great site I found yesterday that allows you to download public domain comics from the golden age. Here's the address:

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php

Once you setup an account, you get 200 mb worth of downloads per day. Pretty cool, and it's free! Nothing beats holding an original GA comic in your hands, but thise is definately the next best thing.

-Chris

Everyone here may already know about this, but there's a great site I found yesterday that allows you to download public domain comics from the golden age. Here's the address:

Once you setup an account, you get 200 mb worth of downloads per day. Pretty cool, and it's free! Nothing beats holding an original GA comic in your hands, but thise is definately the next best thing.

-Chris

Did it. Very cool.

-Chris

Did it. Very cool.

Yes, I have been using that resource for a while and posting interior shots from those files here. Plenty to discover in there. Enjoy the ride! thumbsup2.gif

-Chris

Those guys are theives; they've stolen 5 years of my scans from my website. I've alerted them and didn't get a response back. mad.gif

Great free site full of public domain comics. I just read Amazing Man 12. Great cover, by the way, for that book.

What program did you use to open the file? I just got a lot of gibble-de-gook code. confused-smiley-013.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Great free site full of public domain comics. I just read Amazing Man 12. Great cover, by the way, for that book.

What program did you use to open the file? I just got a lot of gibble-de-gook code. confused-smiley-013.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

The viewer is a program called CDisplay. You can download it free from this link:

http://www.cdisplay.net/?page_id=2

-Chris

Well, sorry to hear about the thievery, but this site is A W E S O M E. I'm extremely excited about getting to read some of these, especially since some are ones I want but are out of my pricerange currently.

Thanks so much and am really glad you posted this.

I don't believe there is any "theft" as these are in Public Domain. Shield would take credit for sliced bread if he could get away with it.

lol Well, there ya go. I didn't mean conventional theft, just if they lifted some scans off of Shield. But it's the web and it happens.

- I think Shield has a copyright to his scans (comparable to photographs) even if the source material itself is public domain?

- CDisplay files are actually normal zip-packets. If you change the file extension to .zip it is possible to open them normally and view individual .jpg files in any image browser.

- I think Shield has a copyright to his scans (comparable to photographs) even if the source material itself is public domain?

- CDisplay files are actually normal zip-packets. If you change the file extension to .zip it is possible to open them normally and view individual .jpg files in any image browser.

Thank you. It's easy to sit back and try to poke fun, put I put in hundreds of hours scanning my collection. 95% were scans I did myself; roughly 5% were scans donated by fellow fans. Think of how long it takes to scan just a cover, the crop the image, the resize it, create the html interface, times 68 pages per book, times 219 books. Then you have really nice fine or better books that you pop staples on or get spine splits or pages detach during the scan. There's a reason it took over 5 years to complete, and a reason I'll always stand up for the work I've done. Just last night someone tried to sell my Zip and Pep DVD's on ebay - the listings were pulled within an hour... wink.gif

It takes tenfold more thought, patience and skill than copying and pasting global warming articles.

Still, website like this discourage me from completing all the other non-Timely and non-DC stuff from the golden age. If I do ever get around to it (who wouldn't want to read some Continental / Better / Centaur stuff?) I will watermark all my images.

Thanks Arty! thumbsup2.gif

Once something becomes "Public Domain" in America, it remains in Public Domain. There is an Old Time Radio collector who thought he purchased the rights to old radio shows which fell into Public Domain. He found out later that his money was squandered. Once in Public Domain it remains there. thumbsup2.gif

flowerred.gif

Thank you. It's easy to sit back and try to poke fun, put I put in hundreds of hours scanning my collection. 95% were scans I did myself; roughly 5% were scans donated by fellow fans. Think of how long it takes to scan just a cover, the crop the image, the resize it, create the html interface, times 68 pages per book, times 219 books. Then you have really nice fine or better books that you pop staples on or get spine splits or pages detach during the scan. There's a reason it took over 5 years to complete, and a reason I'll always stand up for the work I've done. Just last night someone tried to sell my Zip and Pep DVD's on ebay - the listings were pulled within an hour... wink.gif

It takes tenfold more thought, patience and skill than copying and pasting global warming articles.

Still, website like this discourage me from completing all the other non-Timely and non-DC stuff from the golden age. If I do ever get around to it (who wouldn't want to read some Continental / Better / Centaur stuff?) I will watermark all my images.

See, the thing here is that the same law that allows you (or anyone for that matter) to scan & post those books is that they now reside in the Public Domain. You spent hours & hours scanning them, but they don't belong to you.......they now belong to the public. These guys used your scans. Are you upset? Sure. Do you have a right to be.......no! They're not yours to begin with. They've fallen into Public Domain. makepoint.gif

See, the thing here is that the same law that allows you (or anyone for that matter) to scan & post those books is that they now reside in the Public Domain. You spent hours & hours scanning them, but they don't belong to you.......they now belong to the public. These guys used your scans. Are you upset? Sure. Do you have a right to be.......no! They're not yours to begin with. They've fallen into Public Domain. makepoint.gif

But that's where you're wrong, my cycloptic friend. Archie still has copyrights over these characters. Pep Comics still holds a copyright from January 1940. You seem to forget this title ran until 1987. They are my scans though, and I have every right to retain ownership of my scans. If people were scanning their own copies then more power to them and I'd have no right to complain about it. However, when you roll your sleeves up and put hundreds of hours of work into something and have someone swipe it from you, then you might understand.

Oh, and by the way, since I came up with the idea of putting MLJ scans on CDROMs waaaay back in 2001, I've since made quite a bit of money from the site, which enabled me to amass a nice savings account and buy more comic books. Don't hate just because you can't come up with one single original thought Fuelman. Now go back to your boring copy & paste of OTHERS people's thoughts on the illusionary concept of global warming... wink.gif

They are my scans though, and I have every right to retain ownership of my scans.

"Your" scans of Public Domain books? makepoint.gif

If they're in Public Domain....... 893naughty-thumb.gif

I haven't had an opportunity to view all of the books on their web site......if they have Archie books.........I don't know.

You're obviously upset........try some Chamomile Tea. thumbsup2.gif