• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to crack out a slabbed book?

29 posts in this topic

It should be said the new welds on the inner well are much stronger then they used to be in the old labels.

Just be aware of that when you start pulling. Some come apart easy, and some don't.

Ze-

CGC used to enclose a flyer with books you got back from them. It had color pictures and step by step instructions on removing books from the slab! Does anybody have one of those they can post? BTW its no big deal really! I have done it over a 100 times without ever damaging a book! Patience is the key!

It should be said the new welds on the inner well are much stronger then they used to be in the old labels.

Just be aware of that when you start pulling. Some come apart easy, and some don't.

Ze-

Good point. In those cases, I use an Exacto knife and a ruler. The ruler will protect you from an accidental slip.

Ze-

Good point. In those cases, I use an Exacto knife and a ruler. The ruler will protect you from an accidental slip.

IMHO scissors are safer. I still think you can slip with the ruler and send that exacto into the edge pretty easy-maybe we should ask hammer for his opinion?

The problem I have found with scissors is that when you are cutting the inner well plastic there is the ocassional instance of the plastic trying to crimp before it finally cuts. This can endanger the book as well. Either way you do it, patience and care are the two bits of advice this thread can't over emphasize.

I tried it using scissors to open the sides. and cut the inner well using scissors as well. For the new casings, it does not have any openings but is easily "crackable". If you hit it on a hard corner the slab will crack and then you can easily open it with...you guess it... a good scissor.

Benz