• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to crack out a slabbed book?

29 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been posted a bunch of times, but my board search just turned up a million unrelated topics and I couldn't find the answer on the main CGC site either.

So I apologize in advance for asking this: Where can I find specific, step-by-step instructions on how to safely crack a book out of the slab? Thanks... flowerred.gif

I'm sure this has been posted a bunch of times, but my board search just turned up a million unrelated topics and I couldn't find the answer on the main CGC site either.

So I apologize in advance for asking this: Where can I find specific, step-by-step instructions on how to safely crack a book out of the slab? Thanks... flowerred.gif

There are a few things you have to do before cracking the slab:

1) Put on an adult diaper

2) get a stainless steel mallet, a B-B gun, a knife & some rubber hose....

3) Drive to Florida

Screwdriver for the outer case...scissors for the inner case...careful attention to both! thumbsup2.gif

1) Put on an adult diaper

Now fess up..., how many do this..., or have contemplated doing this on the big sale thread nights?

It would be a perfect indicator of addiction over on Buck Biggin's wife's addiction thread...,

Someone started a thread sometime ago with a pictorial description that shows the steps involved in removing a comic from a slab, however, I couldn't find it.

I know that you can call CGC on Tuesday and they will describe the process.

Split the slab the long ways with your fingers, jam a standard (flat-blade) screwdriver in between the two slab sides, work it up to the top, twist and pop the post that holds the slab together. Repeat on other side. Spread slab along lower hinge.

Remove inner well. Use some very sharp scissors or industrial scissors or shears to cut away at least two sides along the inner well. (Recommend the sides which do not contain shims, as those complicate the process.) Spread sides of inner well, release prisoner.

Save blue label. If you have an undercopy, sell undercopy on eBay with blue label from your over copy, claiming you cracked it out to read it, or some other such nonsense.

No pictorial..but here is how I break out a comic.

Outer shell--use any tool you are comfortable using, it can be a pocketknife, a screwdriver, or your thumbnail. Basically anything that is thin and strong.

The middle areas of the Shell is not sealed, start there insert your blade and pull downwards to the corner post , you will hear it rip as the seam is being broken..I normally work the right side and bottom edge at the same time(cause I like to keep the outer shells for future use) Some are tougher then others..but once you work the blade or whatever you are using to the corner that contains the post...you will most likely make it pop apart sometimes the post breaks, other times it does not. Either way that corner is now "popped"

Continue to the next bottom corner and do the same thing. Insert your blade into the open area and work it toward the next corner , if the post still sticks badly..go the other side edge and work downward to that corner and it should pop. Sometimes I use two blades at once one on the side, one on the bottom working to the corner simultaneously..this works quite well.

Now you can pull out the inner well containing the comic inside.

Things to be careful of, Depending on what tool you are using, be aware of how deep you place the blade when you are ripping the outer shell seams. You do not want to damage the inner well during this process.

Also, if you only pop the bottom posts and try to slide out the inner well be careful not to bend the well with the comic inside. As it could crease or bend the inner well damaging the comic inside. I suggest popping all four posts and simply lifting the inner well out .

Cutting out the comic from the inner well.

You can do it one of 2 ways.

Scissors and cut the comic out, or use an X-acto blade and cut along the seams to free the comic inside.

If you use scissors BE CAREFUL..the inner wells are sized pretty well to the comic inside. Not much room for cutting error. It is possible to do safely with a SHARP pair of scissors that have a good cutting action. Cut along the top edge.. (some people slide the comic out at this point) I would not recommend it.

Cutting a top orbottom edge AND a side edge to allow you to more easily slide the comic out.

Always being careful to look out for burrs or overhangs from the plastic where you cut it. These can obviously snag the comic and damage it whe you try to remove it

If you use an X-acto blade.. you can free hand it , or use a ruler.

Basic idea is to cut along the inner wells raised edge ,following along the natural raised edge, cut as many sides as you feel are needed to lift out the comic safely.

Once again..if you are not using a ruler.. and you see your blade is not going on the right line..STOP and restart the cut.

Save blue label. If you have an undercopy, sell undercopy on eBay with blue label from your over copy, claiming you cracked it out to read it, or some other such nonsense.

That's why some people are going to devil.gif

I peel'um sometimes, but I am leary to tell somebody to do that due the the fact I have heard people pull it apart too fast and the comic flew out onto he ground.

893whatthe.gif

I think the only thing to remember is.. take your time and if it don't feel right..stop.

Ze-

I think the only thing to remember is.. take your time and if it don't feel right..stop.

Ze-

A sound principle to live your life by, whatever the endeavor! yay.gif

Thanks everyone...great advice. Sounds like sliding it out of the tight inner well will be the toughest part...I might try peeling it, but will probably try cutting with an exacto knife. Is a regular exacto tough enough to cut cleanly through the well or do I need a bigger blade like a box cutter?

So I apologize in advance for asking this: Where can I find specific, step-by-step instructions on how to safely crack a book out of the slab? Thanks...

Personally, I'd use a hatchet. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks everyone...great advice. Sounds like sliding it out of the tight inner well will be the toughest part...I might try peeling it, but will probably try cutting with an exacto knife. Is a regular exacto tough enough to cut cleanly through the well or do I need a bigger blade like a box cutter?

I've only had to use scissors a couple of times. It peels very easy. The outer case is a snap. You can pop it open with your fingers.