• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Wow What A Story" or Are you having problems sleeping?

2 posts in this topic

This is not a tale for the casual observer, but only the esoterian who has problems sleeping.

Several years ago, I saw a piece of art at Heritage which passed. It was not identified. Obviously , although by Bailey, who cared about any pre-hero renderings? It did not sell. See page at this site.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

I gave it no thought for a while and then it hit me. I located the page on about my fifth dive into my esoteric books of the prehero age and determined it was from Feature Funnies 1 page 10. Okay, early pre GA art peeked my interest...But it bothered me,that part of the Bailey page was not the same "style" as the rest of Feature Funnies 1 page 10......Where or where had I seen this before? Where had Bailey published art before this time?

Not a tough for those who have a shallow life like me with far too much time on his hands to ponder such minutia. Yup, found it in Wow What A Magazine #4 (November 1936). He had cut it from that "personality page" and pasted to this page. Made a couple of calls and bought this directly from the consigner (with the blessing of Heritage) "faster than the proverbial bullet."

1648438-Wowpagebailey.jpg

Don't know about you, but I do not know much (if any) comic book art in this post New Fun age. Certainly, is the "oldest" comicbook art I got.

Anywho.....one day when this emerges, you will know the rest of the story to another tidbit of early comicbook lore. (You may go back to sleep now)

Jon

1648438-Wowpagebailey.jpg.f18acb75959450eb5d69b0c1b311c33c.jpg

What a great story!

The number of people that have or have read Wow is so tiny it's no wonder the piece wasn't identified before. thumbsup2.gif