• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Megacon Report (Long /w pics)

13 posts in this topic

I'll probably do this report in several posts because I have lots of pictures and it may take awhile.

Normally I go to Megacon on Fridays because its less crowded and more casual. The anime crowd pretty much takes over on Saturday and while highly entertaining, brings everything to a gridlock. I figured the lines would be long to get in at 10:00 and a 12:00 arrival should have fewer problems. WRONG!

longline3.jpg

The line was ridiculous and the wait was about an hour and a half just to get tickets. At this time I debated about coming back on Sunday, but the wife quickly vetoed that. While she stood in line, I ventured down the hall to see what else was going on in the convention center. They had scheduled an NRB (National Religious Broadcasters) convention next door.

nrb1.jpg

Talk about contrasts. I thought about just going in there and doing an NRB con report. The scene there was a bit more subdued. As a matter of fact some of the attendees were looking at what was going on in the next hall.

longline1.jpg

And....... this is what they saw....

costumes3copy.jpg

ancostumescopy.jpg

costumes1.jpg

costumes2.jpg

prleia.jpg

Some of the kids/adults went to a lot of effort to make their costumes and it was definitely a visual overload. One thing I noticed is that there were more DC/Marvel comic book heroes being represented. That's a good sign. Next up....The show......

Once we got tickets, we entered a foyer where most of the "costumers" were posing for pics.

overhead3.jpg

After a few moments of taking pictures and soaking it all in we headed into the hall itself. It is a decent sized show and the aisles were jam-packed. The wife and I went in different directions because she had her own agenda. grin.gif

overhead2.jpg

You literally get swept up in the flow of traffic and it really takes an effort to either stop in a booth or get across an aisle. One oasis amongst the turmoil was MCMiles and KingofRulers booth. The few times I made it back there, it always seemed to be full of board members. Just being able to sit down for moment was definitely needed.

board1.jpg

There was a great selection this year in the areas I was interested in. The trouble was navigating back and forth between the booths. Here is a shot of Dale Robert's

booth.

droberts.jpg

I didn't get the name of this booth, but they had an impressive OA display.

wallart.jpg

Motor City, Bedrock, Crazy Ed, Graham Crackers, Heroes & Dragons,Quality Comix had nice setups too. I hope the dealers were able to do well despite the aisle traffic issues. Next up.....The Books.......

I picked up quite a few VG/F silver age books that I needed to complete runs in the $3 and $5 boxes, but my focus this show was going to be Schomburg covers.

After making it through every aisle and making mental notes, I headed back to Motor City's booth and picked up this Fighting Yank.

th_FightingYank19.jpg

Next up was Dale Roberts booth to grab these two (Thrilling and Wonder).

th_wonder14.jpg

th_Thrilling67.jpg

And finally back to Motor City again to pickup this Thrilling and Startling

th_Thrilling65.jpg

th_startling43.jpg

At the FX show last month there was very little Standard Nedor stuff, but this show had a lot to choose from.

So.... in summary, I really enjoyed the show. I thought the selection was great especially for golden age and generic silver. It is fun to people-watch because the costumes are getting crazier. You just have to accept the fact that the anime crowd will slow down things. I am already looking forward to next year. grin.gif

Great report Flee-Marquette! Its was definitely as crowded as you mentioned it was on Saturday. It was so packed that someone from the CPG boards told me they got there at 12pm and didn't get into the hall until 2:00pm. Great turnout. I am looking forward to next year as well. Unfortunately it seems like they're trying to drive dealers away as they increased the booth prices significantly for this coming year.

It looks like you picked up some nice books. headbang.gif

Nice report. 893applaud-thumb.gif Quit buying up all of the Nedors, save a few for me next time.

wink.gif

Don't Worry! I need to save up for awhile before I pick up any more. There were so many to choose from. I was looking for books that had F/VF looking covers, but because of a minor issue were dropped down to a VG price. I will trade you a Nedor for your leather jacket! poke2.gif

Now that is the kind of report I like to see. Thanks for the photos . I really like seeing the various dealers tables.

Thanks! I am a big fan of Greggy's rambling con reports. grin.gif

I'd like to make it to more cons, but until then the reports are

the next best thing to being there.

Now that is the kind of report I like to see. Thanks for the photos . I really like seeing the various dealers tables.

yeah, they're the one thing he does well, outside of modelling plus-sized Wonder Woman outfits

yeah, they're the one thing he does well, outside of modelling plus-sized Wonder Woman outfits

EYES BURNING, EYES BURNING....ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I didn't know he rolled like that. grin.gif