• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suspiciouly graded PLATNUM MINT 10 Secret Wars 8

43 posts in this topic

This one has received the much lauded PLATNUM MINT 10 but they openly state the outer cover is a 9.6. I've seen double covers routinely carry the higher of the two grades but I disagree in this case. How can they state the overall grade is a 10, which would seem to mean that it can't be in any better condition, when the outer cover is clearly less than perfection? foreheadslap.gif

Anybody agree or disagree? You know I hate to say it but I've ranted about it for a long time now. There is only one CGC. cloud9.gif The others are wanabees. insane.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marvel-Secret-Wars-8...1QQcmdZViewItem

Theoretically you can remove the outer cover as you've said and have a 10 as is plain to all, but this particular copy was manufactured with two covers. Are you suggesting that the outer cover is not intrinsically a part of this copy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i think double covers should carry the average grade of the two covers, not the higher of the two. i've never understood why the only cover that matters for the purpose of selling is the higher graded cover, since both of them are intrinsic to the value of the book.

i mean, remove the outer cover and sure, you've got a 10, but don't, and you still have a double cover book, which can stand on its own for the purpose of collectability

Theoretically you can remove the outer cover as you've said and have a 10 as is plain to all, but this particular copy was manufactured with two covers. Are you suggesting that the outer cover is not intrinsically a part of this copy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm having trouble coming up with an analogy that explains my opinion properly, so this will have to do.

Say that ALbert Pujols goes 2 for 4 with a homerun, and a double. If I put on Baseball Tonight and Harold Reynolds says that Pujols went 2 for 4 with a double, I'd feel like some info was missing although his statement was true.

Maybe a better way to put this is that the grade in the top left is the headline (2 for 4 with a Homerun), and the notes are the rest of the box score (i.e., 2 for 4 with 1 HR, 1 double, 1 run, 1 rbi, etc.).

I don't think that the fact that he hit a HR should be averaged with the double and the two outs because the HR happened...it's there just like the cover that is a 10.0.

I'm having trouble coming up with an analogy that explains my opinion properly, so this will have to do.

Say that ALbert Pujols goes 2 for 4 with a homerun, and a double. If I put on Baseball Tonight and Harold Reynolds says that Pujols went 2 for 4 with a double, I'd feel like some info was missing although his statement was true.

Maybe a better way to put this is that the grade in the top left is the headline (2 for 4 with a Homerun), and the notes are the rest of the box score (i.e., 2 for 4 with 1 HR, 1 double, 1 run, 1 rbi, etc.).

I don't think that the fact that he hit a HR should be averaged with the double and the two outs because the HR happened...it's there just like the cover that is a 10.0.

uhhh....okaaaay....so what is Albert's Batting Average in this theoretical example? or his slugging percentage?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

probably not the best example you could have gone with

poke2.gif

I'm still struggling with the fact that if you take this copy out of the slab and hold it, you are looking at a 9.6 as the outer cover is a 9.6. Only when you open and peek at the second cover do you see a 10. I guess we have to mentally pretend the outer cover is irrelavent.

I agree with you Jedi. I've never understood their thinking on this. Either both covers are part of the book or they're not. I believe it is part of the book and just as important as the other cover and therefore should be part of the overall grade given.

The way it seems now, one could theoretically crease, fold, crumple, or otherwise disfigure the front outside cover, but still get an uber high grade as long as the inner cover remains flawless. screwy.gif

uhhh....okaaaay....so what is Albert's Batting Average in this theoretical example? or his slugging percentage?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

probably not the best example you could have gone with

poke2.gif

893censored-thumb.gif

I said I was having trouble coming up with an apt analogy. 27_laughing.gif

Anyway, I'm happy with the way the grades on double covers are presented, and the reasoning makes perfect sense to me. So there! sumo.gif

I agree with you Jedi. I've never understood their thinking on this. Either both covers are part of the book or they're not. I believe it is part of the book and just as important as the other cover and therefore should be part of the overall grade given.

The way it seems now, one could theoretically crease, fold, crumple, or otherwise disfigure the front outside cover, but still get an uber high grade as long as the inner cover remains flawless. screwy.gif

exactly. Makes perfect sense to me. The defect can be left on or off and since if someone chooses to remove the outside cover, the book would be a 10, it should be a 10 not combo. Specifically, I'd be pretty PO'ed if my first cover was a 2.0 but my inside was a 10, the company averages the book at a 6.0. confused-smiley-013.gif

IMHO I don't believe a double cover should get a 10 even

if we are able to completely see the second cover for grading.

Let's say you are careful enough to remove the first cover. The

staples would not be tight to the "10" cover. If I saw a

cover that otherwise looked to be a 10, but had the staples raised

from the spine, I would not feel right giving it a 10 Mint grade.

Just my opinion.

When it comes to the double covers, PGX = stupid

Most times they give the grade of the outer cover as the overall grade, while in this case they used the inner. They also don't grade inner covers in some cases. They need a little consistency....

exactly. Makes perfect sense to me. The defect can be left on or off and since if someone chooses to remove the outside cover, the book would be a 10, it should be a 10 not combo. Specifically, I'd be pretty PO'ed if my first cover was a 2.0 but my inside was a 10, the company averages the book at a 6.0. confused-smiley-013.gif

If a book is manufactured with more than one cover, then I believe that cover is part of the book and should be part of the grade. Seems simple to me. If the front cover has enough defects to bring the book down to a 2.0, then the book should be a 2.0.

Now, if someone wants to take the risk and remove the outside cover, then submit it, I guess they could grade it as they see it in front of them, but right now they are only grading part of the book as they see it in front of them.