• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any way to remove this color touch?

7 posts in this topic

Dang! Who would do that?

take a wild guess at who would do that. blush.gif first of all the restoration is slight (P), so it's been professionally done. i hope someone here can provide some info on restoration removal. sorry about the resto dude, what else did you submit? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

that was with my DD 158 and FF 52.

Yeah - hopefully FF or another seasoned vet can come up with some advice.

I'm thinking about sending in another batch

With this sucka: X-Men 9

and a sweet X-Men 110 and a nice Thor 126 I picked up.

I'm looking for the same thing. Bought the TTA 35 off the forum auction and am hoping to have the color touch removed. Anyone know any good unrestorers in the NY area. The guy I used to deal with is retired as part of his plea agreement.

Basically, I believe, you will have to scrape off the area where the color touch is. If it bled through, you are going to put a hole in the book.

You will downgrade the book more than likely and then you will have to decide if it is worth it.

If removing color touches was extremely easy, do you really think people would sell the book for a third of the assigned grade?

It might be worth downgrading the book (maybe to a VF) and having it not say restored. Of course, if you pay to have it done, that's cost you too. Then to have it reslabbed is another cost.

Tough Call.

Call CGC and ask them where the color touch is. They usually write this in the grader's notes, and it's better to get a second opinion upon where the CT is than to scrape it yourself and be wrong and sorry. You paid for CGC's opinion, so I'd definitely use it to full advantage before attempting removal.

Having said that, it's probably not worth the removal on this book at the current time unless you want to use this as a practice book for removing color touch on your own. It'd probably cost about $50-$100 to get a professional to remove it, which in this case is too large a percentage of the book's value to make it worthwhile. I only consider having a pro remove slight color touch for books worth no less than $200-$300.

If that were my book, I'd put it in a box and forget about selling it for a decade or two. If you give the book some time to appreciate in value, it may eventually become worthwhile to get the color touch removed, but right now, it isn't unless you do it yourself. And if you do it yourself, be prepared for the grade to be 7.5 or 8.0 when you're done. 8.5 is about the best you can hope for, assuming you're extremely careful and do a really good job.