• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shock Suspense Stories

9 posts in this topic

I just finished reading the first couple of issues of Shock from a hardcover that I purchased in the marketplace (Thanks to Buck Biggins). Wow!

I was very impressed with the writing and art. Much more gritty and adult than I had anticipated. I tihnk that I have found another collecting focus.

Amongst the EC titles, which would be the best to target?

Thanks

I think everyone has their favorite among the EC books but my preference goes to SSS because of the variety of stories contained then to the War books then Crime then Horror and last the Sci-Fi. I have never been much of a Sci-Fi guy and while the Horror books are nice, I prefer my horror stories mixed in with other genres.

It depends on what you mean by best. I'd say sample the reprints and find what you like best. If you like Shock SuspenStories best, collect the originals.

For me, the only series I would want to collect is TFTC starting with Crime Patrol #15.

Welcome to the madness, John! wink.gif

I love the Shock title...that's one of my favorites too. Check out Shock #9 (Reed Crandall's classic "Carrion Death", plus Jack Kamen on a Ray Bradbury Halloween horror story!), and #11 (very moving anti-racism story drawn by Wally Wood). But they're all really great.

I think you owe it to yourself to test the water on the horror titles as well. Like I said, if you like BA DC horror, you'll love the EC horror. And if you're a fan of Wrightson, I think you'll go nuts for Ingels (among the many excellent EC horror artists).

I'm a big fan of the sci-fi books as well, though dunno if that's your bag. But they were extremely well-written, often tackling real-life social issues using sci-fi allegories.

Happy hunting!

One thing I love about the war books is reading the letters pages and seeing EC's fans point out errors they made in depicting military uniforms, equipment, etc. These people were knowledgeable readers!

Overall, with ECs, I agree it's best to sample the reprints then go for whatever genre you like best.

My favorites are Shock and Crime Suspenstories

Then Two-Fisted Tales and Frontline Combat

Then the horror books

and finally the Sci-Fi books.

It's all good - it just depends on what genres appeal to you the most - though I will say The Kurtzman war stories are amazingly good.

It depends on what you mean by best. I'd say sample the reprints and find what you like best. If you like Shock SuspenStories best, collect the originals.

For me, the only series I would want to collect is TFTC starting with Crime Patrol #15.

yay.gif

crimepatrol015.jpg

Follow up question:

I see from looking at the OSPG this evening that there was quite a bit of name change especially with the horror titles. Does anyone know of a web site that gives a good synopsis of the EC title lines and their chronology?

Thanks for all of the feedback so far.