• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PEP COMICS # 22 SCAM EBAY ITEM # 2184785671

32 posts in this topic

"Unless I knew the dealer extremely well, I would never buy a $3K book that's not CGC'd. If a respectable dealers tries to sell you a book like that, and doesn't have it CGC'd, I assume that they might believe there is some restoration or something else wrong with it."

What did you do before cgc? Every time someone makes a statement like that I laugh. Just a few years ago, you were doing the same thing he did, dropping $$$ on raw books. When a high $$$ book is not slabbed, everyone screams scam... I don't get it.

I just got a notice from Ebay Safeharbour advising the following:

Dear eccomic@rogers.com:

Congratulations on your recent winning bid for 2184785671, PEP COMICS #22 1941

1st app. Archie & Jughead. Your seller, taintedpork, has contacted eBay for

their auction credit and let us know that you’ve both decided to forgo the

transaction.

If this is correct, do nothing and enjoy your time on eBay. However, if this

is not correct (you have received the item and intend to keep it), please let

us know by writing to safeharbor@ebay.com and include "Not Correct" in the

subject line of your email.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

eBay SafeHarbor Team

Interesting that within ONE HOUR of me and Shawn bringing this OBVIOUS scam to light, the seller Michael Clune, contacts Ebay to reneg on the auction.

Moreover, this charleton has NOT even endeavored to leave any retaliatory Negative Feedback.

He has tucked his tail between his legs and this is an obvoius admission of guilt. I wonder if he is reading this forum. In any event, I would not purchase anything from this dealer in the future.

Ankur, ebay i.d. comicfinders and rencently changed to " doctorj! " refused to sell me the Detective Comics #38 I had won from him on eBay for $910.00 unless I payed him $1200.00 (an extra $300.00) and then later for a high price of $2000.00. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Check out the link for further info:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=213914&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1&vc=1

Scammers and shysters are all over eBay.

John

I will be contacting Safe Harbour at Ebay directly to file a fraud claim.

He never did email me back even once.

A word of warning (even though I think you should follow through). Do not get an ulcer over this as I bet "london to a brick" that ebay do jack about it.

This whole thread and CGC Mints little debacle with ANkur what his name is just another reason I'm so glad I'm not a GA collector. I know there are alot of scammers in the SA and BA but man it seems especially bad in GA lately and with the $$$ involved in GA getting burned really flamed.gif

I bought this very copy of Pep 22 at the end of 2001..... This bugged me to the point of returning it.

pep22.jpg

Well of course you returned it! That book is Fred Roberts book and sir, I know Fred Roberts, and you are no Fred Roberts!!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

insane.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gif

Unless I knew the dealer extremely well, I would never buy a $3K book that's not CGC'd. If a respectable dealers tries to sell you a book like that, and doesn't have it CGC'd, I assume that they might believe there is some restoration or something else wrong with it."

What did you do before cgc? Every time someone makes a statement like that I laugh. Just a few years ago, you were doing the same thing he did, dropping $$$ on raw books. When a high $$$ book is not slabbed, everyone screams scam... I don't get it.

Couple of follow up points:

1) If it seems to good to be true, it almost definitely is.

2) Before CGC, there was eBay. Most books on eBay (before CGC) sold for less than $100. Prior to eBay, you bought books from conventions (where at least you saw the book), from a catalog of a well known dealer, or an ad in CBG. If you saw a lot of nice books from "JOE BLOW" in CBG, beware. I KNOW.

3) The reason it shocks me to see a high dollar book not slabbed is quite simply, "if it was slabbed, wouldn't it be worth more"? Most dealers are not in the business of leaving dollars on the table.

It only takes one bad purchase on an expensive book, to wipe out all your profits from good purchases. And it usually points such a bad taste in your mouth that collecting stops being fun.

Lastly, if you really believe the seller is legit but want to confirm that, ask to use an escrow service. So what if it cost you. I would rather pay a little extra to get what I want then lose everything. Whenever I feel uncomfortable with a seller that's the first thing I ask, Can I use an Escrow service. If they say NO, then the books not for me.

3)