• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Show Display Wall

19 posts in this topic

This show experience has give me cause to think. I don't have a display wall, and I think that I will need something of that nature for next time. Does anyone happen to have designs for a PVC display wall with shelves for displaying comics? I would appreciate any help on this. I'm thinking that at the next show I attend, I would like to bring my graded collection along and would love to be able to display it in such a fashion.

Thanx in advance for any help.

How large is your vehicle? Do you have a truck or van? Do you have a roof rack?

How large a booth/table do you envision?

Will you have help generally or will you be doing it solo?

These are all important questions to consider....

I've set up at the last 3 local shows just to test-drive my wall display. Trying to come up with the perfect system for those that set up solo.

Easy to set up...take down...and carry. thumbsup2.gif

How many CGC books does the new Wombat rack system hold safely?

We have used SUV's and a conversition van. No roof rack. Standard 8' table, with the possibility of extending out to 16'. I'll have help most of the time, but would be wanting to be able to set it up solo.

The reason I was thinking PVC at first is because of the ease of setup, take down, and transport.

Thanx!

I've set up at the last 3 local shows just to test-drive my wall display. Trying to come up with the perfect system for those that set up solo.

Easy to set up...take down...and carry. thumbsup2.gif

Let's see some photos! (Unless you're looking to patent it... tongue.gif )

I just built the A-Frames as described by McMiles and KingofRulers... very simple!

(I made some modifications to the design though.. but all the pieces are pre-cut at Home Depot.)

Cost of the A-Frames before adding the actual Wire Shelves, about $20. thumbsup2.gif

The shelves are the pricey part unfortunately.

Also, as a side note. I started using twine ont he shelves. I string it from one side to the other as tightly as I can, and then insert the books in afterwards. The twine is cheap, and very beneficial in my opinion. Position the twine so that its about 3/4 of the way up the height of the book. This prevents any clumsy knocks into the rack from a convention attendee from being a disaster if a $1000 book were to fall. The twine will provide a nice amount protection from falling 7ft to a certain death of a concrete surface. Also, it helps with preventing theft. For example if the shelf protrudes to the very edge of your booth, without the twine it would be very easily for someone to just casually walk by and snag a book (esspecially if you are at a corner booth). The twine is a very simple way of making it much more difficult to snag and grab a book.

I actually already had 16 wire shelf racks from my old design... (6 12" horizontal pieces, 2 vertical pieces) so I have enough for about 3 racks now. I spaced mine out to hold Slabbed books specifically (and magazines/Treasuries).

I'll probably be building the 2x3 joiner A-frame next.

My wombats have the string built into the horizontal bars (with a tightener like a drawstring) but I'm adding them to the wire shelves as well. thumbsup2.gif

It might be a good idea to keep the top shelf open for a banner/sign 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wouldn't want to used valuable book space for a sign. I was thinking maybe using some type of post or connecting device to anchor one to the top of one of the 2x2 posts.

Yeah.. I thought of that too.. but I think the larger cons have a height limit and you'd need to ask for a variance then. ( I think it's 8' )

I don't know if they enforce those regulations actually... confused-smiley-013.gif

Hmm, Good point of the use of the twine for theft discouragement reasons. I also use an A-frame design, and use slotted grooves in my cross pieces. One of the fun parts of being a show dealer is designing a display rack. Here's what I do for a display rack:

I started off using 5 foot long wooden 2 by 4's held together by a sawhorse bracket. I open up about 3-4 of these and lay cross sections. I make a front section about 4 feet wide using 2" by 1/2" firring strips. I use 9 rows of these per section, as these as spread out about 6-7" vertically. The sawhorse bracket causes an angle so the comics will lean back into the stand. I hold the firring strips onto the main support using a velcro system along with a permanently nailed on brace per each spot. I used a router to put grooves into the 1/2" width (probably about 1/4" thick) that can hold the comics.

Because these take up a lot of depth room in spreading out, I've devised a setup in which I don't need the sawhorse brackets, basically angling one 2 by 4 (with an angle cut in) against my front section. I use a couple of firrings with velcro to brace each section of my stand.

All told, I can hold 63 comics per each section, and I usually bring 3 to a show (189 is the maximum capacity). I don't have to connect anything other than having my velcro hooks catch on the loop patches glued into certain spots. In a square booth, I use center sections to connect as each section is perpendicular to the other (that is a challenge because you're dealing with double fault lines, etc). I'm sure there are improved methods, but this use to fit into my automobile truck along with 6 long boxes. A fellow dealer showed me his triangulated system in which he has a similar display rack as mine, but uses a bottom stiff section (might even be metal) to add support. I've never had my stand collapse in over 10 years of use. I do have problems when there's a fan or stiff breeze blowing as I have no real back support to my stand.