• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ten Most Underrated Artists in Comics

56 posts in this topic

Infantino's Art is easily identified and has a style all his own. His Star Wars run had some of the best / most stylized space ships I can think of. He made the already known vehicles his own. In fact all his sci-fi art is cool to look at. As a kid I use to love looking at his exploding ships and space battles. His super hero stuff is cool as well. His run on Flash, Nova, Starlord, etc. Not to familiar with his earlier work But I believe he was working back in the golden age.

I agree completely about Norm Breyfogle. He is at the top of my list.

Here's another:

Dan Adkins - never got any credit for his Doctor Strange

I couldn't agree more about Breyfogle as well. I have only been able snag three pages of his work. There are several that I would pay serious bucks for.

based more on knowledge and appreciation by modern readers, not the exceedingly knowledgeable group we have here on these boards, and in no particular order (after the first two who i happen to think are the most underrated artists of any age based purely on the lack of universal acknowledgement as masters that they should get);

Russ Heath

Murphy Anderson

Joe Maneely - an undeniable tragic loss for the hobby. most have never heard of him, but his work will just blow you away.

three guys who are all considered good, but probably not as good as they actually are;

Nick Cardy

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez

Ross Andru

echoing what delekkerste said, any number of amazing European artists like Schuiten, Bilal, Manara et al

Infantino's Art is easily identified and has a style all his own. His Star Wars run had some of the best / most stylized space ships I can think of. He made the already known vehicles his own. In fact all his sci-fi art is cool to look at. As a kid I use to love looking at his exploding ships and space battles. His super hero stuff is cool as well. His run on Flash, Nova, Starlord, etc. Not to familiar with his earlier work But I believe he was working back in the golden age.

I'm not a fan of Infantino's work on Star Wars. However, I thought Simonson did pretty good work on the series.

Here's another:

I couldn't agree more about Breyfogle as well. I have only been able snag three pages of his work. There are several that I would pay serious bucks for.

Is this one? poke2.gif

1655960-batman492.jpg

I met Breyfogle as Batman 492, first issue of Knightfall, was hitting the stands. He sold me this splash. If you look closely, Doug Moench is in the rogues gallery.

I agree with a lot of the choices. An underrated artist that I also enjoyed was Jackson Guice.

1655960-batman492.jpg.330f153711264d1bddce37d64570cd4c.jpg

Luke McDonnell

Steve Erwin

Jeff Butler

Dennis Fujitake

Gary Kwapisz

Tim Truman

Rick Hoberg

Geof Isherwood

Now those are some underrated artists.

McDonnell did great runs on Iron Man, JLA, Suicide Squad, Deadshot, The Phantom and Eclipso. Erwin did great work on New Teen Titans, Deathstroke and Checkmate.

Butler did the best Green Hornet and Badger.

Fujitake's Dalgoda is one of my all-time favorites.

Kwapisz's Conan was brutal and great.

Truman is one of the best artists in comics, in my opinion. And he's a West Virginia boy.

Hoberg followed Scott Shaw with my favorite run on Captain Carrot and did some great work on Star Wars and Strangers is a classic.

Geof Isherwood did a super run on Suicide Squad and Conan.

Mike B.

Here's another:

Is this one? poke2.gif

1655960-batman492.jpg

I met Breyfogle as Batman 492, first issue of Knightfall, was hitting the stands. He sold me this splash. If you look closely, Doug Moench is in the rogues gallery.

I agree with a lot of the choices. An underrated artist that I also enjoyed was Jackson Guice.

That is a pretty sweet page, all the villians! So, is it for sell???

Great Breyfogle splash.

On Carmine Infantino: While his Star Wars stuff never grabbed me, I don't think he's an underrated artist at all. I loved his superhero stuff. He was and is considered one of the top Flash artists ever -- or is that only in my house?

There's some great (and largely unappreciated) artists here. Which leads to the question: Why hasn't someone like, say, Tim Truman...who has been around for years, has done some ground-breaking stuff, has made a mark as a creator and a writer and an artist -- well, why isn't he a bigger name? Do you have to draw Spider-Man or an X-title to get your fair share of recognition?

There's some great (and largely unappreciated) artists here. Which leads to the question: Why hasn't someone like, say, Tim Truman...who has been around for years, has done some ground-breaking stuff, has made a mark as a creator and a writer and an artist -- well, why isn't he a bigger name? Do you have to draw Spider-Man or an X-title to get your fair share of recognition?

I think Truman gets some pretty decent credit. He gets to pick & choose what projects he works on & usually they are his own pet projects. It does seem that his original art prices are somewhat low, although I remember years ago some of his stuff seemed to be priced higher. It's possible he just doesn't cater to the original art crowd with fewer memorable splashes & his books tend to not feature the mainstream type characters that people collect. Who knows.

Speaking of Star Wars... Chaykin is pretty underrated in my opine. I also think all the painters from the 70's were underrated.... Romita has gotten his due more or less, but Earl Norem, Bob Larkin, Ken Barr; Great Stuff!... Starlin did some great paintings too!!

Speaking of Star Wars... Chaykin is pretty underrated in my opine. I also think all the painters from the 70's were underrated.... Romita has gotten his due more or less, but Earl Norem, Bob Larkin, Ken Barr; Great Stuff!... Starlin did some great paintings too!!

And Dan just happens to own one of the best-ever Jim Starlin painted covers for one of the few 1970s titles I actually have a nostalgic liking for!

Check out his awesmome RAMPAGING HULK cover!

P.S. Anyone have any of the early Boris SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN magazine paintings? They were superb, also.

Here's a name that may leave people scratching their heads:

DARWYN COOKE

Why? How could the acclaimed creator of "New Frontier" and other recognized projects over the past five years be underrated?

Well, I tend to think that he's underrated as a storyteller and writer. I thought "New Frontier" was a really good piece of work. The reason I call him underrated is that I think he underrates himself. I don't understand why he only focuses on company-owned properties instead of working with his own characters. He handles super-heroes very well, but this guy is so talented, too talented, to only be working on that stuff. After "New Frontier", when I was told that he'd be working on a Spirit project, I groaned. I wish he'd take a cue from creators like Chris Ware and James Sturm. I don't think he will really produce his best work until he drops the capes and tights and does something original.