• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Considering getting my first OA. Where do I put it??

24 posts in this topic

So I have been looking online and I found a couple of inexpensive pages so I wouldnt mind picking one up sooner than planned(even though they are odd pages without the X-Men on the particular page) . First off I will like to thank Comix4fun for explaining a couple of things about OA that I had never known before. Here is my question. If you do not frame the piece where do you put it?? Is there like some type of folder with plastic inserts or something of that nature??

So I have been looking online and I found a couple of inexpensive pages so I wouldnt mind picking one up sooner than planned(even though they are odd pages without the X-Men on the particular page) . First off I will like to thank Comix4fun for explaining a couple of things about OA that I had never known before. Here is my question. If you do not frame the piece where do you put it?? Is there like some type of folder with plastic inserts or something of that nature??

Not a problem on the info.

You can store your pages in special binders called "presentation cases" by some people. These usually have 24 clear pages that can display 48 pieces of art back to back. They are available at pretty much any art supply store, but if you want to look online you can go to Utrecht.com they have a nice selection and have pretty regular sales. Look for "Itoya" presentation books.

Most modern art is 11x17 or smaller....but do not buy an 11x17 binder..alot of 11x17 pages won't fit....you need either the 14x17 or the 13x19. Too big is always better than too little 893whatthe.gif

Alot of folks slide their pieces right in there loose...but I also bag and board them using mylar bags. I buy from Bags Unlimited they have competitive prices and their prices include shipping (which on a 20 lbs box of supplies can add up).

I rarely frame pieces but for some of the pieces I have I bought comic art frames that you can change out the piece when you want to hang something differnet.

I have a couple of pieces professionally framed, but those are the really special pieces, that are also family friendly in nature (wife and kids dontcha know thumbsup2.gif ).

Hope this helps.

Chris

I use the 13x19 Itoya Profolio myself. I put my art is plastic sleeves (the same as comic bags) and then into the portfolio.

If you go with the 14x17 then some pages may stick out of the top slightly.

I just picked up a comic art frame from bagsunlimited.com. I took a chance on it cause the picture of the frame is really small and I did'nt understand the dimensions but I went ahead and ordered the 1 1/4" wood frame and just got it in the mail and it looks pretty sweet. It's got a uv protectant acrylic front with a sheet of 4 mil clear Melinex in-between that and your art and has an acid free backing board. It looks pretty killer. I'll try to put up a picture tonight.

Things we can show you, powers some might consider to be...unnatural.

Palpatine.jpg

OK time for a full -script parody on this theme

------------------

ARES: Remember back to your early teachings. Mutant Keys. "All those who gain Original Art without a sale will lose it." Even the O/A Dealers.

MUTANT KEYS: but the O/A Dealers sell their art for good.

ARES: Good is a point of view, Mutant Keys. And the dealer point of view is not the only valid one. The Dark Lord Dealers of the CGC forums believe in good Art at cheap Prices, yet they are considered by the Professional O/A Dealers to be. . .

MUTANT KEYS: . . . evil.

ARES:: . . . from a dealers point of view. The Dark Lord Dealers of the CGC Forums and the O/A Dealers are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater art. The difference between the two is the The Dark Lord Dealers of the CGC Forums are not afraid to wait for a sale. That is why they are more powerful.

MUTANT KEYS: The Dark Lord Dealers of the CGC Forums rely on their passion for their art and sales. They think inward, only about themselves.

ARES: And the O/A Dealers don't?

MUTANT KEYS: The O/A Dealers are selfless . . . they only care about others.

ARES smiles.

ARES: Or so you've been trained to believe. Why is it, then, youve have asked them to give you a better deal they make you feel it is wrong?

MUTANT KEYS: I'm not sure it's wrong.

ARES: Have they asked you to betray the the buyers code? The Constitution? A friendship? Your own values? Think. Consider their motives. Keep your mind clear of assumptions. The fear of Forum members waiting for a sale is a weakness of the O/A Dealers

MUTANT KEYS is deep in thought.

ARES: (continuing) Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Buyitnowus?

MUTANT KEYS: No.

ARES: I thought not. It's not a story the O/A Dealers would tell you. It's a Dark Lord Dealers of the CGC Forums legend. Darth Buyitnowus was a Dark Lord of the CGC Forums, so powerful and so wise he could influence the Dealers to give him a good deal ... He had such a knowledge of their ways that he could even keep the ones he cared about from getting ripped off.

ANAKIN: He could actually save people from bad deals?

MUTANT KEYS: The Dark Side of the CGC Forums is a pathway to many art deals some consider to be unnatural.

MUTANT KEYS: What happened to him?

ARES: He became so powerful . . . the only thing he was afraid of was losing his art, which eventually, of course, he did. He lost his power to wait for a better deal. Unfortunately, he taught an O/A Dealer everything he knew. Then this Dealer ripped him off in a deal. (smiles) Buyitnowus never saw it coming. It's ironic he could save others from bad deals, but not himself from the worst deal of all.

MUTANT KEYS: Is it possible to learn this Patience?

ARES: Not from an O/A Dealer.