• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping discounts.

13 posts in this topic

The USPS seems to be cracking down on media mail, even going so far as to opening up the packages and then charging postage due.

Does anyone know of any websites or organizations offering special discounts on Fedex ground or UPS ground?

What are the ways to lower shipping fees on eBay or other auction sites?

Thanks.

The USPS seems to be cracking down on media mail, even going so far as to opening up the packages and then charging postage due.
is that legal? it's none of their business to go around opening random packages.

sheesh, next time i get a package with something missing.....i know who to yell at

quick google search gave me this:

http://www.factorloads.com/fedex.cfm

is that legal? it's none of their business to go around opening random packages.

Actually, it's very much their business. Otherwise I wouldn't be selling comics, I'd have a thriving mail order "pharmaceutical" business. The USPS has rules and they also have the power to enforce them.

Actually, it's very much their business. Otherwise I wouldn't be selling comics, I'd have a thriving mail order "pharmaceutical" business. The USPS has rules and they also have the power to enforce them.

893Funny-thumb.gif893Funny-thumb.gif

Considering my local P.O. says people have tried to send things like Pillows (yes pillows) via Media Mail...you can understand why the post office has had it up to their eyeballs with who abuse their services.

They said they would not bust open my packages (they know me real well at my local P.O....I have over a thousand feedback, and over 90 percent of my merchandise has been mailed through them), but I rest easy knowing that the majority of my packages are flat rate envelope transactions. Videotapes I will still send via Media Mail, and knowing they believe me when I tell them what is in the package is a bit of de-stresser for me. I have never cheated the sytem (maybe technically I have in the past, but there are some postal employees who will not spaz if they find out you are mailing comics via media mail), but people who use media mail to send things like jewelery, clothing, etc.,...those 's officially get on my nerves.

From the USPS website...

Media Mail™

Small and large packages, thick envelopes, and tubes can be sent using Media Mail. Contents are limited to books, film, manuscripts, sound recordings, video tapes, and computer media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). Sometimes called "Book Rate," Media Mail cannot contain advertising. Media Mail is less expensive than Parcel Post.

smile.gif

From the USPS website...

Media Mail™

Small and large packages, thick envelopes, and tubes can be sent using Media Mail. Contents are limited to books, film, manuscripts, sound recordings, video tapes, and computer media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). Sometimes called "Book Rate," Media Mail cannot contain advertising. Media Mail is less expensive than Parcel Post.

smile.gif

Thank you 893applaud-thumb.gif

could you explain what media mail is?

A lot of people in the U.S.will use the media mail delivery method illegally because it's actually much cheaper. A 5 lb box sent via media mail will cost almost 50% less than Priority Mail and almost 35% less than Parcel Post.

Media Mail is also known as "Book Rate."

Excessive shipping charges on eBay are known to deter buyers. For small dollar figure items, the cost of postage may actually exceed the cost of the items, especially if the item is inexpensive but moderately heavy.

Canada Post has been opening packages for years. Usually it's a random check to confirm the contents of the package. Not a big issue.

makepoint.gif

Does anyone know of any websites or organizations offering special discounts on Fedex ground or UPS ground?

What are the ways to lower shipping fees on eBay or other auction sites?

Thanks.

Stumbled across an example on the USPS web site that includes a specific mention of comic books.

Books and comic books

Scenario #3 shows that a valid option is using Bulk Printed Matter for sending comic books.

Other text on choosing a service for shipping is:

"A large portion of Darren’s mailing is comic books, which can be mailed as flats, but he also sells bound books, some of which cannot be mailed as flats because of their size and shape. He has the option of sending the books by Express Mail, Priority Mail, First-Class Mail (13 ounces or less), Parcel Post, Bound Printed Matter, or Media Mail."

In that paragraph it says the seller has "the option of sending the books" by different rates, including Media Mail. That reference seems likely to be a reference to "bound books". However, there is a bit of ambiguity. I am going to seek clarification from the USPS to get a clear determination.

Anyway, so BPM can easily be cheaper than the Flat Rate Priority option. And it's not a whole lot more expensive than Media Mail. Looks like a good middle ground for anything in the 2-4 pound range. Only once you get up to around 5 pounds might the Flat Rate Priority be cheaper. But is it possible to get 5 pounds of comics in a Flat Rate Priority envelope? smile.gif

Hey Warlord,

Was wondering if you were able to get any clarification from USPS on the use of media mail vs bound printed matter for shipping comics? On my last visit to PO, I noticed they had a bunch of new notices posted saying they reserve the right to open and inspect media mail packages. Looks like they may be trying to crack down on abusers. Would be nice to know once and for all if comics are in the clear. smile.gif