• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Silver Age 50's style monster covers in your collection

47 posts in this topic

This is the first time that I have created a thread on this board. In fact, I'm not even sure if this will become a new thread or a posting to someone else's thread. So here goes. I love Silver Age 50's style monster covers and my passion is Green Lantern, in particular, but I would like to see what other covers collectors treasure in their collections. The one in my posting is probably my favorite monster cover in any title, though it happens to be GL #34. Bring 'em on (as our illustrious President likes to say).

comicimage.asp?CertNum=0072638015&Face=Obverse

My comic doesn't seem to be appearing in my posting, though if you hit the "attachment" button, my cover will appear. It's a giant purple iguana by Gil Kane and Murphy Anderson that shoots rings of pink energy from its tail.

1656014-green_lantern_v2__34_9.6_ow__front_cover_.jpg.b940e4aeb5d7c64920f70ec224e09a9f.jpg

My comic doesn't seem to be appearing in my posting, though if you hit the "attachment" button, my cover will appear. It's a giant iguana by Gil Kane and Murphy Anderson that shoots rings of pink energy from its tail.

Welcome to the boards!

The reason your scan isn't showing up is that it appears you've got your scan in the Registry, and the Registry apparently won't act as a host for scans here (which indicates that the integration between the Boards and the Registry is not very seamless). This leaves you with 2 choices: (i) use the Boards themselves as the host, by clicking on the "attachment" button and then copying and pasting the URL there onto the thread, or (ii) load your scans onto a free service like photobucket, which will then host the scans and all you have to do is copy and paste the scan URL on here (this is a very popular method with folks on these boards).

1656014-green_lantern_v2__34_9.6_ow__front_cover_.jpg

I love Silver Age 50's style monster covers and my passion is Green Lantern, in particular, but I would like to see what other covers collectors treasure in their collections. The one in my posting is probably my favorite monster cover in any title, though it happens to be GL #34.

Monster cover and GL. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I've posted it before in the 10 cent thread, but it seems to fit the bill pretty well here.

GL8.jpg

Tim,

Thanks for much for helping me out here. Like I said before I think that is a truly awesome Gil Kane & Jack Adler cover. I mean, look at that weapons belt around the monster's mid-section, not to mention the detail in the scales covering its skin. That monster is clearly supposed to only be a monster on the surface, since the attire suggests a definite higher level of intelligence. I've never seen anything else that I remember by Adler. Does he have any other noteworthy covers, particularly monster covers or Silver Age GL covers?

GL8.jpg

If you're talking SA monsters, I don't think you can beat pre-hero Marvels like these:

TTA12Ffront.jpg

TOS21Ffront.jpg

TOS23F.jpg

JIM68.jpg

JIM61.jpg

JIM76F.jpg

Those are some seriously big monsters. That Gorgilla reminds me of Gargantua which was an old Japanese movie made around the time that all of the Godzilla vs. features were being made. Klagg reminds me of one of the three creatures in the old cartoon, The Herculoids. Is that the prototype for the Creature from the Black Lagoon in that Tales of Suspense #23? That genie cover is more parody than frightful. But where did Marvel come up with those names, anyways? Spragg? Gomdulla? Klagg? Fantastic, but funny at the same time.

This is the first time that I have created a thread on this board. In fact, I'm not even sure if this will become a new thread or a posting to someone else's thread. So here goes. I love Silver Age 50's style monster covers and my passion is Green Lantern, in particular, but I would like to see what other covers collectors treasure in their collections...

Great idea for a thread. I've been feeling lately that Silver Comics has been fading away ... reduced to only "title" collecting threads. Nice to see a topic that should bring out some interesting comics. Thanks.

Dennis

Tim,

Thanks for much for helping me out here. Like I said before I think that is a truly awesome Gil Kane & Jack Adler cover. I mean, look at that weapons belt around the monster's mid-section, not to mention the detail in the scales covering its skin. That monster is clearly supposed to only be a monster on the surface, since the attire suggests a definite higher level of intelligence. I've never seen anything else that I remember by Adler. Does he have any other noteworthy covers, particularly monster covers or Silver Age GL covers?

Adler was a colorist at DC (he did the color and separations for Action 1, IIRC). I'm surprised they credit him on the cover but he certainly played a big part in making the washtones concept "work".

gossip.gif tth2: that copy is still cloud9.gif

This is the first time that I have created a thread on this board. In fact, I'm not even sure if this will become a new thread or a posting to someone else's thread. So here goes. I love Silver Age 50's style monster covers and my passion is Green Lantern, in particular, but I would like to see what other covers collectors treasure in their collections...

Great idea for a thread. I've been feeling lately that Silver Comics has been fading away ... reduced to only "title" collecting threads. Nice to see a topic that should bring out some interesting comics. Thanks.

Dennis

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was going to just start a straight Green Lantern thread, being relatively new to the boards, but I thought it would be more interesting to discuss and show comics I was more passionate about and thought were really interesting. Here's another that's not as good as my Green Lantern #34, but I still really like it. It's Green Lantern #30. I get a kick out of the T. rex with the little body and big head, though on the other hand, the pterodactyls are actually quite well-drawn. The art on this one is by Gil Kane (one of the Silver Age masters) and Sid Greene. Does anyone know what significant covers or interior artwork has been done by Sid Greene?

GreenLanternv2309.jpg

If you're talking SA monsters, I don't think you can beat pre-hero Marvels like these:

TTA12Ffront.jpg

TOS21Ffront.jpg

TOS23F.jpg

JIM68.jpg

JIM61.jpg

JIM76F.jpg

Those are some seriously big monsters. That Gorgilla reminds me of Gargantua which was an old Japanese movie made around the time that all of the Godzilla vs. features were being made. Klagg reminds me of one of the three creatures in the old cartoon, The Herculoids. Is that the prototype for the Creature from the Black Lagoon in that Tales of Suspense #23? That genie cover is more parody than frightful. But where did Marvel come up with those names, anyways? Spragg? Gomdulla? Klagg? Fantastic, but funny at the same time.

The TOS #23 came out in '61, a few years after the movie. So it would be a case of the other way around. As for the names, you can thank Stan Lee for those.

TOS23F.jpg

The TOS #23 came out in '61, a few years after the movie. So it would be a case of the other way around. As for the names, you can thank Stan Lee for those.

So, do you know if it was actually adapted from the comic? Did the movie studio buy the rights to make the film?

The monsters themselves are very hulking and gigantic and fun for the comics. But, as far as the names go, I gotta say I would have expected a little more creativity in naming those monsters. It's like he showed a picture to some Asian foreigners who didn't speak very good English and said what do you want to call it?

TOS23F.jpg

So, do you know if it was actually adapted from the comic? Did the movie studio buy the rights to make the film?

The monsters themselves are very hulking and gigantic and fun for the comics. But, as far as the names go, I gotta say I would have expected a little more creativity in naming those monsters. It's like he showed a picture to some Asian foreigners who didn't speak very good English and said what do you want to call it?

Creature From The Black Lagoon came out in 1954. Marvel used creative license to come up with their version for the comic. It was a rip-off of "Creature", but not enough to get sued by Universal. The names definitely are cheesy, but that's part of the charm (at least for me).

Angelo

Here's a cover that's dying to be in this thread! I love this one...

1660928-st88small.jpg

One of the best Kirby/Ditko monster covers. Sweet comic! thumbsup2.gif

Angelo

I agree wholeheartedly with both of your sentiments that this is a great monster cover. The blue monster is reminscent of ancient native Central American and Mexican god icons and other cultural artwork. Even the blue monster's name seems inspired from words I have seen from those same ancient languages. Great comic! Keep 'em coming.

Very astute! The cover story involves a nefarious Aztec group who wants to use their monster to take over the world. (Though if you saw these guys, you wouldn't be too worried.)

Thanks for the confirmation of my thoughts. Aztec was my actual guess, but I didn't want to sound over-confident or come up short by commiting myself too specificly. I'm not very familiar with that title, but I went and pulled up some scans of books surrounding that particular issue and there are some other very interesting covers there. Maybe you have some others that are just dying to be in this thread? yay.gif