• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Stock

12 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Thought you guys might find this interesting:

Marvel stock: Still a hero?

Stock Spotlight: 'Spider-Man 3' is expected to spin a web around the box office this summer, but is Marvel's stock a buy?

By David Ellis, CNNMoney.com staff writer

February 23 2007: 8:41 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Who knew that Wall Street could get this excited about a bunch of guys in superhero costumes?

With an impressive opening weekend at the box office for "Ghost Rider" and the third installment of the popular "Spider-Man" series hitting theaters in May, it's easy to see why there's a lot to love about comic book company Marvel Entertainment.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/23/markets/spotlight_marvel/index.htm?section=money_topstories

I bought it at around $14 and sold around $28 a few months back...still watching and waiting to see....probably a decent bump coming up this year from the next ASM flick where they get the majority of the $$$.

The concept of Marvel owning its own movie production company worries me. They are hit and miss on getting a decent flick made in Hollywood -- what's going to happen when they try to do it all on their own? No major stars, no major marketing budget, and probably no major special effects budget. I see a lot more potential for Roger Corman FF movie-quality stuff instead of Spider-Man movie-quality stuff. And the fact that there's already talk of them making movies for straight-to-video doesn't fill me full of confidence that they understand where their financial success has come from.

Marvel benefitted tremendously from partnering with Hollywood and making the first Spidey movie. It was a commercial success not just because it made money, but it was wildly popular in a number of peripheral markets like licensing: toys, clothing, games, and myriad other products. All that was due to the success as a major movie. If they start creating things and releasing them straight to DVD or doing "truer" movies without the marketing or quality, they will not get the attention, media hype, and ultimate financial success that comes along with a blockbuster Hollywood flick.

I still remember Captain America with the rubber ears. tongue.gif I'm not sure I'd want to put a lot of stock in this stock yeahok.gif

I didn't say long term bump.....just a short bump IMO....

Yeah, sorry that sign-rantpost.gif wasn't specifically directed at your comment. flowerred.gif

Even though the stock appears to be a little inflated due to the pre- summer movie speculation, I'm sure there will be some increase due to future profits from these movies. My bigger concern is long-term if they do their own movies and bypass the Hollywood machine.

I didn't say long term bump.....just a short bump IMO....

Yeah, sorry that sign-rantpost.gif wasn't specifically directed at your comment. flowerred.gif

Even though the stock appears to be a little inflated due to the pre- summer movie speculation, I'm sure there will be some increase due to future profits from these movies. My bigger concern is long-term if they do their own movies and bypass the Hollywood machine.

Agreed,

They need to have a movie/marketing exec or the like on their board to keep them moving in the right direction. Someone that understands that garbage movies actually don't help the bottom line. tonofbricks.gif

i bought marvel stock a few years ago and it has done very well for me

I owned a lot of stock more than a few years ago, and got fleeced when they went bankrupt! Christo_pull_hair.gif Just a word to the wise. Buy low sell high! grin.gif Don't fall in love with any stock. grin.gifgrin.gif And go buy some Hasbro! shy.gif (that's...one of mine currently) grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif