• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun 54 *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*

75 posts in this topic

Depending on what you paid for it if it's around good condition you should be able to get well into the 600's or 700's for it. As far as restoration it would really depend on what type of restoration it would be and how long it would take to perform it as well as what grade it would elevate the book to. If it takes a lot of time to repair the book the cost of restoration could be more then the additional money you'd take home from the auction.

Brian

I've e-mailed the Five companies I have located so far.

The Restoration Lab

Fantasy Masterpieces

Classic Conservations

Eclipse Paper Restoration

Resurrection Restorations

As I said in previous post, Fantasy Masterpieces gave me an estimate of $250-$400 based on the scans. I am still awaiting a reply from the others.

If you know of any other credible restoration firms besides the ones mentioned above, I would appreciate you letting me know.

No mention of what grade it could be raised to. From examples of some of their completed projects they have on their web site, I would say raising it to an 8.0 is not out of the question. Books in much worse condition than my More Fun 54 ended up looking like they were just off the shelf.

Here is my first reply from a prospective resotoration company:

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your inquiry. The scans were helpful but seeing the book in person would be better. >From what I can see, I would at the very least have the tape removed. The tape will continue to degrade no matter how the book is stored. That will eventually damage the paper.

As far as other areas that would need attention, I can only guess based upon what I see in the scans. You will need some spine work performed as well as some color retouching and probabley a cleaning. Should that be the case and your goal is to improve the book as much as possible, I would say that you're looking at a range of $250.00 to $400.00. Without seeing the book, I have no way of knowing.

Let me know if you'd like to send it in. I would ask that you enclose a note again outlining what you'd like to see done with the book along with your name, address, phone number and a good time to contact you to discuss the evaluation. If you decide that you'd like to go ahead with the work, I'll require a 50% deposit. As the book nears completion, I'll let you know and the balance will then be due. If you decide that you don't want any work performed, then I'll return the book at my cost. I hope to hear from you soon.

I guess I could see a tastefully restored VF 8.0 going for around 1,500. I believe a restored VF 8.0 sold in a heritage auction for 1,800..doubt you'd get that much though unless you play your luck consigning it to Heritage. So it may or may not be worth it to you, I'd guess what you paid for it is about all you'd get for it at this time.

Brian

I would agree 100 percent that if you aren't looking to sell, leave it unrestored. Unrestored books may turn out to be harder to find then restored copies and will up the value considering the books age.

Brian

From what research I have done, it appears that restored books bring 50% to 60% of overstreet grade value. I would assume then that if my restored book would grade between 6.0 and 8.0, the value would be between $1500 and $3000 (Book for those grades are $3000 and $6500).

Keep in mind that I am not collecting for the profit and I have no intention of ever selling any of my books. However, common sense would direct that I personally not do anything to make the book worth less than what I have in it. I can not control the Market, but I can control my actions.

But this is why I am asking for opinions and advice.

.....so you think that even though he has stated that he wants to keep the book and not sell it he should leave it as is?

.....the comment from the resorer's is acurate that the tape removal at least is a good idea............if left on the book will ultimately fall apart............. shocked.gif

Well obviously in the long-run it would deteriorate..but it's nothing he has to take care of this very second. I'd say it's more worth it to sell the book before this occurs then to take the time and money to repair the problem and just lose the money on it.

Brian

.....i guess it really depends on wether you're gonna keep the book forever or not..........

..........if you are and want to look at a VF copy rather that a good with tape on it then maybe restoration is the way to go.........

.........if there's any chance you might sell the book then maybe its best to leave it as it is for the moment, and see wether the market for restored books picks up (its in the toilet currently).........

I can not stress enough the fact that I will NEVER sell any of my books. I am really not concerned with what my heirs have left to them when I die. In fact, I may state in my will that my books be cremated along with me to avoid any probate dispute. Of course that request alone should spark a probate dispute :-)

That's a good notion. Go with minor restoration just to prevent the book from deteriorating any further. Not only would that protect the book for archiving, but it would in the process improve the appearance.

I guess I need to find out how the different levels of restoration (i.e. slight, moderate, extensive) affect a books grade and value. I posted a similar question to CGC. I wonder if it will warrant a response from them.......probably not.