• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do most collectors have undercopies of certain issues and why?

35 posts in this topic

As Jello Biafra said, "California uber alles!" grin.gif

uber = over, greater, better . . . not necessarily the best.

Most of us have so many damn books, we can't even keep track of them. Only when we see two copies side-by-side, do we designate one as our "under" copy and one as our "uber" copy. hi.gif

ubermensch, the greatest German superhero of all time

sumo.gif

That's right. It's German for super or over -- as a prefix.

Dennis

Some of my Silver age undercopies include:

Fantastic Four 72 - Gorgeous Silver Surfer cover by Kirby

Thor 150 - Thor and Hela, Goddess of Death

Thor 157 - The Mangog holding the Thunder God with Ragnarok pending

Sub-Mariner 6 - Subby locked in combat with Tiger Shark

I just LOVE those covers! As rodan57said, these are little works of art to me!

It's always been my understanding that a distinction can be drawn between dupes and undercopies; I have multiples of many UG's in similar condition and don’t consider any to be undercopies However, on the odd occasion when I actually upgrade a book in the collection, I consider the poorer copy to be my undercopy.

Are you going for one in every grade? That would be cool. I'd help you out but I sold my 9.6 to Heritage.

you got it thumbsup2.gif

but the high ones are too expensive for me at this time and the low ones are hard to get already graded.

Buy them raw and slab them, works for me. The 9.6 I had was a raw purchase for $500, slabbed it then sold it to Heritage for $3000. (Two years ago)

As Jello Biafra said, "California uber alles!" grin.gif

uber = over, greater, better . . . not necessarily the best.

Most of us have so many damn books, we can't even keep track of them. Only when we see two copies side-by-side, do we designate one as our "under" copy and one as our "uber" copy. hi.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

I don't have a clue (not ENTIRELY true) of what I have! It is great to come back from the storage facility with a few boxes and come across some sweet books that I didn't know I had! I have room in my new comic room for 60 shorts. The shelving units accomodate that amount. There are usualy another 10 or so scattered around. I try to get them all organized, but when I start to open the boxes, I get lost in the nostalgia and nothing gets done! cloud9.gif

Some issues I just hoard! I have a few right now that I am snapping up. I like to know that if I decide to sell, I can keep the best for my own personal collection and not regret the sale.

John hi.gif

These are beautiful books - I am especially impressed with the Jungle Action theme. I couldn't help but notice that the self-described OCD sufferer alwaysbronze not only photographed the Hulk 181's in descending order of CGC quality but followed it up with an extremely impressive ASM 300 selection - this time split into SS and Blue labels but still in descending order of CGCness (new word).

Look, I am of the same bent when it comes to something like this, but I often wonder the nature/nurture argument regarding the "Collector thing". I guess it starts from when we got our first few books and "put them in order" where our contemporaries would just chuck them on the floor.