• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superboy's Math Problem

14 posts in this topic

I was reading Adventure Comics # 329 which has a Superboy back-up story. In it Superboy was busy accomplishing 100 new feats, for some insane reason. For one of them he decides to "endure the sun's heat." Not just the heat of our sun but the heat of the hottest sun in the universe. All fine and dandy except the heat must have gotten to him, for as according to Superboy, the heat from the hottest sun in the universe is only half that of our own sun.

Here is the panel.

Superboys Math.jpg

He's mixing his millions and billions..

At the core our sun is 15 million degrees Celsius or 27 million degrees Fahrenheit.

Million not billion.

10 billion degrees is possible (again at the core) but only when a giant sun reaches supernova

He's mixing his millions and billions..

At the core our sun is 15 million degrees Celsius or 27 million degrees Fahrenheit.

Million not billion.

10 billion degrees is possible (again at the core) but only when a giant sun reaches supernova

I don't have any doubt that chromium's got it right. Someone didn't proofread the captions in the panels well enough before it went to press.

Well, there's a reason the lettering looks like it was modified, because it was! Here's the original printing, from Superboy #58. Note that the science was even further off in the original; I guess they got complaints, and thus modified it when they reprinted it, but then messed up and had a typo in the lettering (should be million for the first one as noted).

1661679-Superboy058Sun.JPG

1661679-Superboy058Sun.JPG.1154438328c8b49086ddb22581ca1932.JPG

Well, there's a reason the lettering looks like it was modified, because it was! Here's the original printing, from Superboy #58. Note that the science was even further off in the original; I guess they got complaints, and thus modified it when they reprinted it, but then messed up and had a typo in the lettering (should be million for the first one as noted).

Good research. thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Great work. thumbsup2.gif

And the change from a "Red Sun" in the original, to a "Yellow Sun" in the reprint, most likely was also a result of the feedback received at the time.

And the change from a "Red Sun" in the original, to a "Yellow Sun" in the reprint, most likely was also a result of the feedback received at the time.

Perhaps, but I thought the Red Sun thing was a latter-day ret-con explanation for some of Supes' powers. I don't know when this occured however. Certainly before they made Luthor the hero of that planet (Lexor?) orbiting a Red Sun in Superman during the early 1960s (Superman #164, #167, for example). Superboy #58 was 1957, and Adventure #329 was mid-1960s, so maybe that's responsible for the revision of the sun's color. confused-smiley-013.gif