• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoo-Ha! Completed my first Bronze Age series...

18 posts in this topic

Granted, it is only Ms. Marvel with 23 issues but you have to start somewhere.

It was quite a learning experience on several fronts, so I'll share my wisdom 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1) Buying 2 incomplete lots on eBay that got me twenty one of the issues in VF/NM was a lot cheaper than buying 1 lot at half that grade.

2) Buying sight-unseen from dealers that have been praised on this board was less than thrilling. 893whatthe.gif VF books were just barely. I have one more dealer I'm thinking of sampling, but I'm not optimistic.

3) Filling in the missing books with lower-grade material enabled me to put together a complete run and sell it for enough profit that my set was free (now that I have them all, I hope reading them won't prove that free was even too much to pay).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Yeah, I've got a good start on FF (Bronze Age) but nothing like I had when I was a kid. Ditto for Captain America.

Funny, I'm not as interested in some of the other stalwarts I collected/read as a kid (Hulk, Marvel Team-Up, Marvel Two-In-One, Defenders, or even Avengers so much), but somehow (maybe having girls around the house) I really found the Ms. Marvel #1 (reprinted in Marvel's The Superhero Women) to be compelling enough to want to read the whole series (or maybe because the other reprints in that Superhero Women volume were so dreadful that Ms. M looked really good by comparison).

Anyhow, I'm glad that particular hunt is over. Now, on to bigger game...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

kudos on your first set. Not the one I would have started with,but every long journey starts with a first step. Best thing about Ms Marvel is that without her, there would be no Rogue as we know and love her. and I'm still waiting for Binary to live up to her potential.

Yeah, maybe so. Either that, or Black Goliath or Red Sonja laugh.gif !

I guess I was one (of many in my rural school district) of those weird kids that didn't like X-Men and read Spider-Man only on occasion. Heck, Thor, Defenders, and Sgt. Fury were much better represented in our comic trading klatches.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Yeah, maybe so. Either that, or Black Goliath or Red Sonja laugh.gif !

lol= kind of like saying I'm gonna get me a Cadillac,or maybe a used Yugo. Master of Kung Fu is IMO the finest sustained series any company ever published.Buy any ten scattered issues and you'll be hooked. And if your not, send them to me.

Hate to bring this up but...do you have the Ms Marvel 35 cent MArvel price variants? If not, I don't know if this collection is truly complete? 893naughty-thumb.gif

I was wondering when someone was going to bring that up. I guess one man's complete is another's not.

While I may be summarily booted off the board for saying so, I haven't felt that variants are anything I need to collect. I'm looking mainly at story and I'm pretty sure that that was no different between the 30-cent and 35-cent additions grin.gif.

That said, I wish Overstreet would list all of the Avengers (V3) variants (cuz those I do have).

So, yes, I will probably look for the price variants but I won't go out of my way... too much.

Maybe...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan (recovering completist)

Oh, I respect the persistence and diligence (but mostly the money 893applaud-thumb.gif) involved in the pursuit. I just haven't the patientence or desire (or the money) to do it myself.

At least not yet.

Maybe when I stumble across a few of the more common ones I'll get the bug...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

"Hate to bring this up but...do you have the Ms Marvel 35 cent MArvel price variants? If not, I don't know if this collection is truly complete?"

Your kidding, right? The majority of collectors don't give a rats [!@#%^&^] about price variants. I guess a collection would not be complete without acquiring both direct and newsstand editions of the series (since the bar codes are different), and don't forget any Whitman variants (both sealed in the multi bag and unsealed), or pence copies, or any other foreign editions, or marks jewelers inserts... don't forget printing defects..... you must acquire double covers of all your Ms Marvels!!!!

...and you thought you were done collecting Ms Marvels, you've barely started!!!

Funny you should mention printing defects...

I recall having as a kid a copy of Fantastic Four (I think it was something in the late 170's or early 180's) that was very much like the variant #110... i.e. it was all magentas and greens.

However, the difference was that all of the interior pages were this way. I was a perfectionist even then and didn't want it so I traded it to a friend... who promptly dropped it in a mud puddle.

Also, Black Panther (the recently cancelled series) had a repeated section in multiple copies of #28 (I think... may have been #27) so that the middle of the story was repeated.

Are these actually collected?

I guess I'm wondering what makes the variant FF #110 so collectable when it is just as much a printing defect as these others.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Oh, I respect the persistence and diligence (but mostly the money )

The key is to do it on a budget. I'm within one (I think--haven't heard from the seller of one of my last 2) of completing my 30 cent variant set and I'd say that all but 30 have been bought for $1-$5. When you factor in the duplicates I've sold, I've probably not spent a sent for the lot.

Oh, I respect the persistence and diligence (but mostly the money )

The key is to do it on a budget. I'm within one (I think--haven't heard from the seller of one of my last 2) of completing my 30 cent variant set and I'd say that all but 30 have been bought for $1-$5. When you factor in the duplicates I've sold, I've probably not spent a sent for the lot.

[!@#%^&^]! grin.gif I did pay $50 for the last Kid Colts and the Mighty Marvel Western, but no Silly Money was spent for anything. "Factor in the duplicates..."

will be on the lookout for a Rawhide Kid 134 in Chicago. Am getting in on "set up day" will check out Lange's Sports from Grand Rapids. They ALWAYS have some.