• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MATTHEW WILSON VS TRACEY HEFT FOR RESTORATION

16 posts in this topic

I am considering submiting a major key to Matt Wilson for Restoration. Is he any good. I am trying to decide between him and Tracey Heft of Eclipse Paper. Has anyone submitted books to either of these and whom would you recommend.

Soooo....what are you thinking of restoring?

I am thinking there would be interest on the forum.

And, so this post isn't off topic, I would suspect either would be ok although I have never sent in a comic for restoration to either of these individuals.

Actually, I have never sent in a comic for restoration at all but might just bring in my Green Lantern #1. (It's in 3 pieces right now and would need quite a bit of work to becomce a VF at least. (Apparently, I've been advised against it 'cause it's not worth enough at this time.) And I am taking that advise.

Soooo...details?

gossip.gifWhich comic?

gossip.gifWhat condition is it in now?

gossip.gifWhat condition do you want it to be after it's restored?

gossip.gifAm I getting too personal? grin.gif

Tracey seems to be more interested in paper conservaton/preservation techniques. Matt Wilson loves to repaint covers. 893frustrated.gif Depends on the amount of work u wish to get done since u will have to keep the comic for your personal collection for a long time until the market can stomach purple labels. frown.gif

The Marvel Mystery Annual is what I am thinking of getting restored. See attachment

I thought you had an offer for $6,000 for this one? Didn't it go through? Boy, you're having a bad run of luck lately unless you decided not to sell it (taking the Pep 22 into consideration)

Shawn

I have JUST now sold the book for $6000 USD Shawn. The buyer had to clear it with their significant other and the deal is pretty well firmed up. The restoration was a back up plan incase the deal fell through.

I would stay away from Matt Wilson. I'm having two books restored by him. He's had them since early Dcember of LAST year. It was supposed to take about 3 months. In mid May he emailed me saying that he'd had a large order to finish so my books were a little held up but that they would be done by the end of the following week. That would have put them being finished around May 20th or so. It's almost August and I haven't heard a thing more from him. I've emailed him several times and left messages on his machine and he has not returned either. My last two emails have not been cordial as I'm voicing my distress but they have still been professional in my opinion. His restoration work I can't comment on because I have not yet seen it however his customer service SUCKS! I'd be happy to provide details if someone doubts my story, as I know there will be someone here that thinks I'm being overly critical.

Three words for ya': Susan Susan Susan!! Unless you're planning a big barbecue and need a side of beef butchered. Then, ya' send it elsewhere and in the case of that annual, it would come back looking like it was made out of wax if it went almost anywhere else other than Susan!

rantpost.gif

Ok, so why shouldn't I get my Silver Age Green Lantern #1 restored to a VF? Right now it's in 3 pieces. A front cover, a back cover and the rest of the comic. A lot of the paper would have to be re-built along the spine. The spine can best be described as having gone through a meat grinder. grin.gif

I think it has something to do with the economics of being able to purchase a VF for about the cost of restoration or perhaps the value of the book being less than the cost of resoration? But, I'm not sure what it would cost for the work to restore this comic.

Guides @ $2043.00 in VF now, and I suppose it will have a restored value of somewhere in the VG range of $454.00. Hmmm, I think I just may have answered my own question. Probably cost at least $700-$800 US to fix this one up, wouldn't it?

Or are there deals out there now that hardly anyone's restoring. But if no one is re-storing, then why has LordRahl been waiting since December for his comic?

So...is there still a lot of restoring going on? You would certainly think so after reading LordRahl's post. makepoint.gif

Ok, so why shouldn't I get my Silver Age Green Lantern #1 restored to a VF? Right now it's in 3 pieces. A front cover, a back cover and the rest of the comic. A lot of the paper would have to be re-built along the spine.

Well, it is a prime candidate. As to why -well, on the purely collector view, you are saving a SA DC key from extinction. That in itself is a nice thing to do.

I think you're estimate of 700-800 may be a bit high What you should do is send an email with some scans to whatever restorer(s) you decide on and just ask for an estimate or a range of estimates based on any extras beyond the spine work. If you stick with the minimum required to regain the book's structural integrity you may find the cost acceptable.

I guess it also depends on your motivation: is a GA 1 an integral part of your collection? If you could get it restored for the price of an unrestored VG, and it ends up looking better than a VG, which would you prefer? If you'd rather the VG you may be surprised at how much you could get for it on ebay for some folks who would buy it with an eye to restoration.

I just perused ebay and saw some completed auctions for GA #1. Most were raw VGs and closed with high bids from about $225-350. Yet a CGC'd purple label with Slight Pro restoration in Apparent VG+ (moderate amount of color touch and cover cleaned) and Cream pages went for $375.

Just some food for thought.