• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Born #2

51 posts in this topic

this from the man with 3 posts. So I write in the title of my thread, Born #2.

What's my psost going to be about?

"Ohhhhhhhhh I sooooo want this issue. ohhhhhh"

No if a title has the name of the issue. It's pretty obvious the person has read the story and is commenting on it.

It's not like my thread had the title Speculation on Born #2

And besides, I didnt even reveal that much about the story. I just said punisher shot someone...........isnt that kind of obvious. THE DUDES THE FREAKING PUNISHER!

GO BOTHER someone else you insect. 893frustrated.gif893censored-thumb.gif

this from the man with 3 posts. So I write in the title of my thread, Born #2.

What's my psost going to be about?

"Ohhhhhhhhh I sooooo want this issue. ohhhhhh"

No if a title has the name of the issue. It's pretty obvious the person has read the story and is commenting on it.

It's not like my thread had the title Speculation on Born #2

And besides, I didnt even reveal that much about the story. I just said punisher shot someone...........isnt that kind of obvious. THE DUDES THE FREAKING PUNISHER!

GO BOTHER someone else you insect. 893frustrated.gif893censored-thumb.gif

Ohhhhhhhhh, this coming from the buffoon with 153 posts. If it was so obvious that the Punisher shot someone, why devote a whole 893censored-thumb.gif'ing thread to it?

You should be thankful I actually replied to your useless thread. If it wasn't for me your "enlightening" thread would have NO REPLIES! Keep up the great work!!! 27_laughing.gif

By the way....I found it shocking because it was shocking if you knew the context in which he shot this person.

Read the issue and you'll see what I mean.

By the way....I know it was you who took my star away you lovely lovely human being.

I thought both "Born" #2 and "Thor Vikings" 1 was some superb work from Ennis/Fabry/ and Robertson. I'm locked in for the rest of the issues!

Funny you should mention Thor Vikings...I picked it up just because it was an Ennis book. Spoiler ALERT**** Thor doesn't show up until the last few pages? Is this a current trend in Marvel books. Silver Surfer didn't show up until the last page either in the new issue this week. venom waits until the end of the second issue of his new series to pop into the panels???

I enjoyed reading it. Looks like a new adversary with potential for the Thunder God.

Born # 2 gives us a little more insight into Frank Castle and events/actions from his past that "previews" the actions and attutude of the Punisher today that we all know. Shooting the woman showed the practicality and cold logic behind Castle's thought process, moreso than mercy, or wanton hate or revenge feelings borne out of wartime conflict.

My take on this issue was a bit of exposition into Castle's mentality and skills that evidence a predisposition to his current lifestyle. Frank Castle was always a well trained killer, and a good soldier who followed orders and got the job done. It just seems that seeing his family killed by the Mafia years down the road, just unleashed his Punisher personna which I'm sure he had to repress in order to rejoin and function with his family after the war.

Ennis tells a great story as usual and shocks the audience but brings us into it with the soldier who witnessed Frank's "other shocking deed" after the shooting of the woman (who was a Viet Cong sniper).

IMO, this series is an excellent read. smile.gif

Born #2 was great -

Appart fron the woman getting shot the other thing I noticed (not that it bothered me, but I kow it will bother some people) was the use of the 'C' word, (ie. C*NT) - I've never seen that used in a Marvel MAX book before...

Any thoughts?

I just said punisher shot someone...........isnt that kind of obvious. THE DUDES THE FREAKING PUNISHER!

Huh? The Punisher actually SHOT someone? Man, put a spolier alert up there will ya! Sheesh! Now I can never read Punisher again! 27_laughing.gif

*Bump*

My local shop had a cool sign underneath "Born #3" which came out yesterday:

"As much as this series sucks, the [Punisher] movie will suck even worse!"

I think "Born" is interesting as a Vietnam/war book, but as "the origin of the Punisher", it completely blows. Just as with "Trouble", there is NO WAY I am accepting this as part of "official" continuity. As far as I'm concerned, the killing of Frank Castle's family by the Mob pushed him over the edge into becoming the Punisher, end of story. No way am I accepting that he was a bloodthirsty psychopath during Vietnam. SCREW YOU GARTH ENNIS!!!

Gene

There's one thing that these ret-con origins should watch out for, and that's screwing with the base ideals and formula of the character that made the concept popular in the first place.

The Punisher has long been a good man caught up in the aftermath of his family's death, not some rampant psycho on a death-dealing mission. Death-dealing psychos are a dime a dozen, but a good guy with a shadow driving his (sometimes questionable) actions is a bit more special and intriguing.

Born is yet another reason I laugh when sappers state that comics are much better written now than in previous years. Maybe if Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman are behind it, but there's a long drop-off to the next tier.

I love how you can't just give your opinion on something but you also have to insult everyone who might possibly disagree with your point of view.

I mean, I agree with your take on Born, it is of no interest to me. I don't need to know that Frank Castle was a psychotic before his family was killed.

But I can accept that years of the Punisher's war on crime have affected his mental state. I quite liked Ennis' "Welcome Back Frank" mini, and the first few issues of the regular series.

From one pov he is a good man fighting for revenge on the kind of people that killed his family, from another pov he's long since satiated his need for revenge and has moved on to serial killer territory - his victims just happen to be killers and criminals so we don't feel the same pity towards them than if his victims were innocent and unsuspecting.

Needless to say, in my mind, the Punisher was always a villain when he appeared in those early Spider-Man stories. He was a villain with a noble purpose mind you, but a villain nonetheless... and once he moved beyond his initial non-lethal bullets and started actually killing the bad guys he became even more of a villain.

But "sappers"?

Kev