• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie Affect on Byrne Fantastic Fours

65 posts in this topic

As much as the FF are considered A tier heroes, they never broke out of the comic community and captured mainstream audiences like say Spider-Man, the X-Men or the Hulk. I like the FF but I gotta admit that a lot of their stories are out of this world, space, alien oriented. I think that's why they haven't had more appeal. I'm a bit surprised that one of these space/alien stories would surface in their movies so quickly, though it was a wise choice to have it deal with the Silver Surfer then say Ego. Since this is the Copper Age thread and since I want to ask you fellow comic fanatics about the market, let's stick with the point. Look at Copper Age Spider-Mans and X-Men. They do darn well. Sadly the FF don't. You can get most of the Byrne FFs in 9.8 for $20-$25. You might say that this is because there are so many of them but this can also be said of Spider-Mans and X-Mens. You might also say that the movie will boost Silver Age FFs or early and mid Bronze FFs but let's keep to the Copper Age. You might also say that why should the film do anything to the Copper Age FFs since they aren't all that but let's not forget what the upcoming Transformer film is already doing to the entire run of the Transformers Limited Series. It's enough to make you drop a big turd. My question then is will the FF films boost the market on the Copper Age FFs? Will we ever see the Byrne FFs in 9.8 routinely fetch 50-100 greenbacks?

I wish they would fetch some bigger $$$, not because I have CGC 9.8 copies, but simply because they are great super hero reads. Love or hate Mr. Byrne, he was a huge part of MARVEL during those days, and I for one absolutely LOVE the FF, X-MEN, and ALPHA FLIGHT work he did. I don't know if he was solely responsible for it, but the MARVEL U. felt so tightly knit from one book to another during his hey-day.

IMHO his FF run was second only to the his own X-MEN books from that era, but they just don't sell anywhere near as well as the X-MEN issues, unless they are in $1 bins. I have a very difficult time selling raw 9.2 and higher copies for even $3CDN...

Will the movie make a difference? I doubt it - the 1st one didn't increase sales in my area, and the movie needs to be good too to attract interest to the comics. And no matter how much I LOVE the Surfer, I am not going to shell out roughly $10 to see what will likely be another mediocre piece of celluloid. Having said that, if it is a bomb, it surely won't help boost sales. On the other hand, if it's a surprise hit, the Byrne FFs may or may not catch some "fire", because the Surfer is not in many, in fact I can only think of one issue...

The TRANSFORMERS movie on the other hand appeals to TWO audiences: (1) Comic collectors, and (2) Toy collectors, which means you have a larger audience competing for the same supply of books. And correct me if I am wrong, but I'm guessing there are fewer early TRANSFORMER issues out there than Byrne FFs, and the latter are probably much more common in 9.4+ grade than the TRANSFORMERS, which were probably bought up by fans of the toys, who likely did not take good care of them.

Happy collecting!

well, based on a bunch of divad sales recently, it sure looks like demand for those byrne FFs is up. He was getting $4-$7 for nice copies of these books and that was from the cheapskates here! I never thought they'd get up there.

well, based on a bunch of divad sales recently, it sure looks like demand for those byrne FFs is up. He was getting $4-$7 for nice copies of these books and that was from the cheapskates here! I never thought they'd get up there.

What!?!?! Which issues are we talking about? Can you provide a link? (sorry, but I don't know who or what DIVAD is)

Thanks!

The TRANSFORMERS movie on the other hand appeals to TWO audiences: (1) Comic collectors, and (2) Toy collectors, which means you have a larger audience competing for the same supply of books.

Sweet observation. That sounds right on. Those toy collecting basturds!

Think there is still good prices on early high grade Byrne books like issue #214 but the only problem is there are not that many 9.8's out there of most of the books. The main Bryne run is fantastic but over the last 2 years the census has really started to fill up so these are fairly easy to find. Still think a lot of them are under appreciated because they are easily some of the best work from that era. Might have something to do with the fact that Byrne's talent has declined dramatically since those glory days and he is know to be a real jerk?

I don't know, because nostalgia might not be as wide spread for these. When I was growing up, it was during his FF run, and No one read FF. Just about all the kids read comics I knew, but it was ASM, Ghost Rider, Iron Man, Batman, X-Men & GI Joe. I didn't even see an FF until I started collecting back issues. confused-smiley-013.gif

As much as the FF are considered A tier heroes, they never broke out of the comic community and captured mainstream audiences like say Spider-Man, the X-Men or the Hulk. I like the FF but I gotta admit that a lot of their stories are out of this world, space, alien oriented. I think that's why they haven't had more appeal. I'm a bit surprised that one of these space/alien stories would surface in their movies so quickly, though it was a wise choice to have it deal with the Silver Surfer then say Ego. Since this is the Copper Age thread and since I want to ask you fellow comic fanatics about the market, let's stick with the point. Look at Copper Age Spider-Mans and X-Men. They do darn well. Sadly the FF don't. You can get most of the Byrne FFs in 9.8 for $20-$25. You might say that this is because there are so many of them but this can also be said of Spider-Mans and X-Mens. You might also say that the movie will boost Silver Age FFs or early and mid Bronze FFs but let's keep to the Copper Age. You might also say that why should the film do anything to the Copper Age FFs since they aren't all that but let's not forget what the upcoming Transformer film is already doing to the entire run of the Transformers Limited Series. It's enough to make you drop a big turd. My question then is will the FF films boost the market on the Copper Age FFs? Will we ever see the Byrne FFs in 9.8 routinely fetch 50-100 greenbacks?

Don't know the answer to your question, but based on your other posts, I'm just impressed that you got as far as you did before referring to excrement in some way. tongue.gif

cheapskates blush.gif

I don't know, because nostalgia might not be as wide spread for these. When I was growing up, it was during his FF run, and No one read FF. Just about all the kids read comics I knew, but it was ASM, Ghost Rider, Iron Man, Batman, X-Men & GI Joe. I didn't even see an FF until I started collecting back issues. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am a bit older, and I actually gave up collecting comics at the time largely *because* of Byrne's run on FF.... confused-smiley-013.gif

I am a bit older, and I actually gave up collecting comics at the time largely *because* of Byrne's run on FF.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Really? There are some pretty awesome stories and art work to ignore.

I dunno about kids not reading the Byrne FFs when they came out in the 80s.....Byrne was THE hot artist, just coming off his X-Men run, and we all bought them for a while at least. These books were printed and hoarded in massive quantities, which is why they've been cheap for a long long time. I've been passing on nice copies for 50 cents - $1 for a long time because I already have 2-4 of each issue I loved them so much at the time, though I don't know if I saw them at that price since the movie came out. (Criminey, I loved the Byrne run so much I actually bought subscriptions to Alpha Flight AND The Thing because I thought Byrne would continue on the Thing...). Then I think the comic reading world eventually got Byrne burn-out at some point in the 80s, probably a bit after he moved over to DC to do Superman. He was just doing too many things at once.

I'm not saying no one was reading him, of course thats far from any truth, he was so popular. I just think that it was the older crowd reading him more & storing all the comics away. The actual kids i knew, who didn't really care about artists, it was about characters, and the FF were considered dorks. I am talking about the "Magic age" of Nostalgia, the 10 - 13 year old kids. I am also not speaking for everyone, just the kids that went to my grade school/middle school.

.......... It's enough to make you drop a big turd. ........

Don't know the answer to your question, but based on your other posts, I'm just impressed that you got as far as you did before referring to excrement in some way. tongue.gif

I had to throw that in otherwise you'd think it was somebody else typing out those lines.

I'm not saying no one was reading him, of course thats far from any truth, he was so popular. I just think that it was the older crowd reading him more & storing all the comics away. The actual kids i knew, who didn't really care about artists, it was about characters, and the FF were considered dorks. I am talking about the "Magic age" of Nostalgia, the 10 - 13 year old kids. I am also not speaking for everyone, just the kids that went to my grade school/middle school.

Were you part of the headbanger bunch back then?

.......... It's enough to make you drop a big turd. ........

I had to throw that in otherwise you'd think it was somebody else typing out those lines.

27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif