• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Postal Forever Stamp

23 posts in this topic

Had a couple of people ask me about this so I thought I'd let you guys know what I know.

The Postal Rate Commision has recommended a 2 cent increase in postage for 1st class stamps plus the release of a so-called Forever Stamp. Should this be approved, rates would go to 41 cents for a stamp plus a non-denominational stamp (one that shows no value on it) would also be released. It would be called the Forever Stamp. This stamp would also cost 41 cents. The catch is that should rates go up later, that stamp would still be good, thus no buying 1 and 2 cent stamps to mail a letter.

It really is that simple. I don't think it'll help people like me much, as I don't have the money to stockpile the things. They will probably be limited in the amount released also, so I figure big businesses will gobble them up.

Also, when rates increase again, new purchases of the Forever stamp would also go up.

That's all I know!

Yeah, they are. Looks like the Flat rate will go to $4.60.

When I last looked, it was $3.85...what is it now?

Its been $4.05 for a few years now .. and $4.60 is the new projected "base rate " for priority i believe .. current flat rate boxes are $8.10 I think -- for whatever you can fit in the box BigMike sumo.gif

Yeah, they are. Looks like the Flat rate will go to $4.60.

When I last looked, it was $3.85...what is it now?

Its been $4.05 for a few years now .. and $4.60 is the new projected "base rate " for priority i believe .. current flat rate boxes are $8.10 I think -- for whatever you can fit in the box BigMike sumo.gif

Ahhh...I remember now. Will the rate hike also increase as weight increases or is it the starting price only?

Heard about that Forever Stamp -- pretty cool. I assume they will also be persuing an increase in Priority rates (they never seem to escape). sorry.gif

Completely sucks.

They keep raising insurance rates too!

How does the price for insuring a $100 go up? confused.gif

It's just an excuse to screw the customer. 893censored-thumb.gif

I wouldnt mind paying slightly higher postal rates if the service at the PO is better but I doubt that will ever happen and I will always need to stand on a 1 hour line almost everytime I go *spoon*

I wouldnt mind paying slightly higher postal rates if the service at the PO is better but I doubt that will ever happen and I will always need to stand on a 1 hour line almost everytime I go *spoon*

Mine it's hit or miss.

One day it's zoom--- out in 5 mins.

The next day the line is out to the door and it'a a 45 min- hour wait.

893censored-thumb.gif

so will people "invest" in these Post Office Futures?

I'll bet that they become scarce close to the time of future price increases.

this was the first stamp that I collected

nixon.jpg

Had a couple of people ask me about this so I thought I'd let you guys know what I know.

The Postal Rate Commision has recommended a 2 cent increase in postage for 1st class stamps plus the release of a so-called Forever Stamp. Should this be approved, rates would go to 41 cents for a stamp plus a non-denominational stamp (one that shows no value on it) would also be released. It would be called the Forever Stamp. This stamp would also cost 41 cents. The catch is that should rates go up later, that stamp would still be good, thus no buying 1 and 2 cent stamps to mail a letter.

It really is that simple. I don't think it'll help people like me much, as I don't have the money to stockpile the things. They will probably be limited in the amount released also, so I figure big businesses will gobble them up.

Also, when rates increase again, new purchases of the Forever stamp would also go up.

That's all I know!

Question: With no "face-value" will this stamp be accepted by other nations????893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My strategy will be to buy about 4 rolls of the Forever stamp and not use them for several years until a 1st class stamp is up to around .60 cents then Bammo!!!...take that USPS... makepoint.gif..$80 ahead baby.... yay.gif

I think it's a clever ploy by the USPS. Think about it, if rates never go up, people are going to be holding quite a few of these stamps. An interest free loan to the USPS in effect. Wait, what am I saying, rates go up every two years.

I think it's a clever ploy by the USPS. Think about it, if rates never go up, people are going to be holding quite a few of these stamps. An interest free loan to the USPS in effect. Wait, what am I saying, rates go up every two years.

quicker than that I think...I think that last jan was the last increase...

stamps are never going to go down so i would think that the forever stamps would be a good deal.

also seems like I read something about ever $.01 increase in gas prices costs the PO $8 million dollars...I'd imagine that is starting to add up...

I don't know how useful a forever stamp is. I can't speak for others, but I rarely mail anything and affix the postage myself anymore. I pay my bills via a bank service, so no bills to mail out. How often does anyone really use affixed posted for their personal stuff? Do you affix stamps to things when you mail out packages?

And how would that work in the future? How many future stamps would you need to affix to the package?

Now, if they had a forever stamp that was equal to the base rate of a 1 pound priority mail package or for the flat rate box, that would be useful. Can't see why I wouldn't stockpile a few hundred dollars in those.

I don't know how useful a forever stamp is. I can't speak for others, but I rarely mail anything and affix the postage myself anymore. I pay my bills via a bank service, so no bills to mail out. How often does anyone really use affixed posted for their personal stuff? Do you affix stamps to things when you mail out packages?

Bingo! I would guess that the vast majority of postage is metered -- no "forever meter" option. This is really not a huge hit to the PO, it's more of a PR thing. I can't see any Fortune 500 company buying up 50,000,000 of these new stamps and hiring people to lick-n-stick all of their outgoing mail.